• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Older cubers discussions

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm finally back so I can say more about the day. It started well with 3 4BLD attempts that got better each time - not a PB single or mean, but still quite a respectable result, and a good start to the day.
Then I did feet, and got my first average under the new rules, so now I have an average of 5 instead of just a mean of 3. It still feels weird to me to use hands to inspect. [...]
So overall in BLD today I solved 21 out of 26 cubes; not bad! If only I weren't so inaccurate at 3BLD! :)
Really impressive Mike. Congratulations on a great performance!

openseas

WCA
2015PARK24
I've got Gans 356X. For those of you who don't know about 356X, this is stickerless + new GES (same as 356R) + magnets can be swapped easily.
They put the magnets in the dead center of edge side + used a bar called "capsule" with magnets added in the both ends. 356X package includes 3 different strength of magnet capsules and one non-magnet capsule sets.

After playing around GES tensions and magnets, opted to use the weakest combinations but still a wee bit strong. Then, I realized that those magnets inside the capsules can be pushed out easily. Those are not glued, just stuck in the hole of each capsule. 3x2 size of magnet discs were used. So, I replaced them with N35 3x1.5 magnets - voila, this is now my new main.
It has a smooth stable feeling with comfortable magnet alignment.

The price tag is all time high though but seniors like us can spend a little bit more, right? :)

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
The price tag is all time high though but seniors like us can spend a little bit more, right? :)
Generally nore likely to be true for seniors :). But, (i) that's more than I'm prepared to spend on a cube when I'm perfectly happy with what I've already got, and (ii) while some others prefer them, I've never yet felt a GAN cube that I liked.

Logiqx

WCA
2015GEOR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's the UK Champs this weekend and it should be the biggest turnout of oldies since UKC 2017. What are your events / goals at the comp?

I only registered for 6 events so that I could practice consistently in the lead up to the competition. As it turns out my schedule took a nosedive last week and practice was non-existent but I've been relieved to discover that my 3x3, OH, Pyra and Skewb times are largely unaffected. I hadn't yet started proper 2x2 or 4x4 practice so I've decided it is pointless setting goals for them with just 4 days remaining.

I don't normally state goals upfront but this time, I've decided to set the bar based on my current Ao1000 in Twisty Timer.

3x3 - 15.x average (rolling Ao1000 is 15.27)
OH - 24.x average (rolling Ao1000 is 23.91)
Pyra - 6.x average (rolling Ao1000 is 5.91)
Skewb - 9.x average (rolling Ao1000 is 8.48)
2x2 - 5.x (not practised so I'm probably not sub-5 anymore)
4x4 - n/a (not practised so I'm probably very inconsistent)

I'd be interested to know what you all have in mind - @Selkie @mark49152 @bubbagrub @newtonbase @Shaky Hands

p.s. I had a crazy OH PB yesterday - Ao50 was 22.74. It's not representative though as today's Ao50 was 23.16 and Ao100 was 23.33.

bubbagrub

WCA
2013COPP01
It's the UK Champs this weekend and it should be the biggest turnout of oldies since UKC 2017. What are your events / goals at the comp?

I'd be interested to know what you all have in mind - @Selkie @mark49152 @bubbagrub @newtonbase @Shaky Hands

p.s. I had a crazy OH PB yesterday - Ao50 was 22.74. It's not representative though as today's Ao50 was 23.16 and Ao100 was 23.33.

Since Euros I've really only been practising FMC... I had hoped I'd aim for a PB average but I think just hoping for a sub-30 single will do. Other than that, I've done almost no practice solves in any other events, apart from the weekly competition on here, and a bit of extra clock practice. I'm hoping I'll get PBs in Clock -- maybe 15ish average. Other than that, catching up with you all will be nice. :) Also, my wife and daughter are entering their second comp, so I'm hoping they'll both get a PB or two...

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
@Logiqx & all: I've no real goals for UKC. I'm very out of practice and haven't improved much since UKC last year. I'd just like to do well in at least one BLD event, and enjoy the comp whatever happens at the solving table.

h2f

Premium Member
WCA
2014PACE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's the UK Champs this weekend and it should be the biggest turnout of oldies since UKC 2017. .

It's a Polish Champs weekend too. I have only a goal to make nice mo3 in FMC - around 30 would be nice, sub 30 would be great. No other goals because I'm in organizers's team.

I hope for a good show. :)

Last edited:

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel

I only registered for 6 events so that I could practice consistently in the lead up to the competition. As it turns out my schedule took a nosedive last week and practice was non-existent but I've been relieved to discover that my 3x3, OH, Pyra and Skewb times are largely unaffected. I hadn't yet started proper 2x2 or 4x4 practice so I've decided it is pointless setting goals for them with just 4 days remaining.

I don't normally state goals upfront but this time, I've decided to set the bar based on my current Ao1000 in Twisty Timer.

3x3 - 15.x average (rolling Ao1000 is 15.27)
OH - 24.x average (rolling Ao1000 is 23.91)
Pyra - 6.x average (rolling Ao1000 is 5.91)
Skewb - 9.x average (rolling Ao1000 is 8.48)
2x2 - 5.x (not practised so I'm probably not sub-5 anymore)
4x4 - n/a (not practised so I'm probably very inconsistent)

Due to tight qualifying I'm only registered for 8 events. Crazier than normal home life and the loss of my lunchtime practice area mean I've only practiced 3BLD.

2x2, skewb and Pyraminx - puzzles still in my case since High Wycombe in April. Alg revision required. No goals.
3x3 - got PBs last year without much practice so hoping that strategy holds. Lost my best cube though.
3BLD - my best chance of PB but will only get one round so scramble dependent. If it looks slow I'll go for my first mean.
4BLD - will go for 2 careful attempts in the 30 mins and cross fingers
5BLD - one attempts since Feb Feb. Might just judge
FMC - won't be there for this

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah I might just drop 2x2. I haven't solved it since the last comp, am not bothered about it, I'd be wasting competition resources, and the Saturday schedule is crazy anyway.

Reactions: h2f

SenorJuan

Good luck to all the old'uns at the Stevenage UK competition.
I'm very out of practice, don't even have a decent cube for OH, and haven't tried a proper FMC in ages, so I considered it pointless entering this year. I intend visiting, probably Sat & Sun, to say Hi and see some of the action.
Hope I can find you, it's going to be pretty crowded..

Edit: And I wouldn't pre-qualify for OH anyway .....

Last edited:

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Sounds like the oldies have been struggling to get practice time of late.

Very true for me. A crazy spring led to a busy summer and a fall when I can’t seem to find time for all I need to do, let alone leisure activities like cubing. Next spring will be hectic as always, and I’ve set a goal of running a marathon by next fall so summer will be full as well. In between, though, is what’s shaping up to be a fairly relaxed winter. I’m optimistic that I may be able to get a better grasp on 3BLD and maybe even make a stab at 4BLD, in addition to the regular big cubes and feet. I plan to ask this evening if the venue I used for the competition I organized last will be available for another competition the first weekend in February.

Old Tom

WCA
2018DOYL02
Very true for me. A crazy spring led to a busy summer and a fall when I can’t seem to find time for all I need to do, let alone leisure activities like cubing. Next spring will be hectic as always, and I’ve set a goal of running a marathon by next fall so summer will be full as well. In between, though, is what’s shaping up to be a fairly relaxed winter. I’m optimistic that I may be able to get a better grasp on 3BLD and maybe even make a stab at 4BLD, in addition to the regular big cubes and feet. I plan to ask this evening if the venue I used for the competition I organized last will be available for another competition the first weekend in February.

Running marathons (I ran two, lonnnnnng ago) and cubing may not mix. One of the symptoms of over-training is a bit of brain fog. But go for it.