• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Older cubers discussions

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
Had another comp today at the University of Maryland, Slow and Steady....results:

3x3–even though I still struggle with this in comp, today was at least not a melt down. Had a few different mistakes, but didn’t let it rattle me. Managed to shave .09 off my Official Single... so although that’s still not a sub-20 (20.42 now) it’s still a PB so can complain too hard.

2x2–finally! I haven’t really improved on this in several months but have been annoyed that I couldn’t get a sub-7s Ao5 in comp. I’d say I’m globally a low to mid 6 and can get 5s for average pretty regular. So it really bothered me having a 7.02 Official. So, today, I managed to avoid chocking and landed a 6.09.

4x4–my goal was a sub1:20 average. I would have done it too... but my first solve I was thrilled to get a good start with 1:18... only to realise I had a PLL parity.... dnf. Followed that that 1:15, 1:18, 1:35 and 1:15. That 1:35 was the disaster I would have loved to throw away. Even though that’s how it went down, I felt good knowing I did generally what I wanted. I’ll get it next time.

Pyra—this was just comical. My unwillingness to actually learn or practice, results is a 12 and a 29. Lol. But, I walked out of there with a PB Ao5 for Pyra too.

So not a bad day. Had a good time.

Old Tom

WCA
2018DOYL02
Had another comp today at the University of Maryland, Slow and Steady....results:

3x3–even though I still struggle with this in comp, today was at least not a melt down. Had a few different mistakes, but didn’t let it rattle me. Managed to shave .09 off my Official Single... so although that’s still not a sub-20 (20.42 now) it’s still a PB so can complain too hard.

2x2–finally! I haven’t really improved on this in several months but have been annoyed that I couldn’t get a sub-7s Ao5 in comp. I’d say I’m globally a low to mid 6 and can get 5s for average pretty regular. So it really bothered me having a 7.02 Official. So, today, I managed to avoid chocking and landed a 6.09.

4x4–my goal was a sub1:20 average. I would have done it too... but my first solve I was thrilled to get a good start with 1:18... only to realise I had a PLL parity.... dnf. Followed that that 1:15, 1:18, 1:35 and 1:15. That 1:35 was the disaster I would have loved to throw away. Even though that’s how it went down, I felt good knowing I did generally what I wanted. I’ll get it next time.

Pyra—this was just comical. My unwillingness to actually learn or practice, results is a 12 and a 29. Lol. But, I walked out of there with a PB Ao5 for Pyra too.

So not a bad day. Had a good time.

Glad you go in to have fun. And usually manage to. Congrats on the new 3x3 PB, though I know what you really want there!

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If I may suggest... Push your memo and try few cubes in home - 4 or 6. After few attempts you will see that 2 cubes seem much much easier.
Accidentaly I did just that in 2007, resulting in getting a 2/2 for multiblind (in 26 minutes, old rules, old NR) before actually doing a successful single ;)

Selkie

Premium Member
WCA
2011WRIG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You still making Stratford-upon-Avon Open in just over a couple of weeks @mark49152 ? Be good to catch up. Think with @Shaky Hands there is only three oldies in attendance.

Some goals for that comp as I have been practicing quite a bit:-
2x2: Sub 6 avg
3x3: Sub 15 avg (Yes the same goal comp after comp!!)
4x4: Sub 1:00 avg
5x5: Sub 1:45 avg
3BLD: Success
Megaminx: Sub 2:00 avg (Qualify for UKC)
No bigger cubes at that comp!

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You still making Stratford-upon-Avon Open in just over a couple of weeks @mark49152 ? Be good to catch up. Think with @Shaky Hands there is only three oldies in attendance.

Some goals for that comp as I have been practicing quite a bit:-
2x2: Sub 6 avg
3x3: Sub 15 avg (Yes the same goal comp after comp!!)
4x4: Sub 1:00 avg
5x5: Sub 1:45 avg
3BLD: Success
Megaminx: Sub 2:00 avg (Qualify for UKC)
No bigger cubes at that comp!
This is almost as if I am reading my own goals except for the 3x3x3/megaminx where my goals are more modest. Hopefully we will meet at a live-competition someday so we can have a direct competition

Edit: We have 2 shared competitions but they were a long time ago:
https://www.worldcubeassociation.org/competitions/UKOpen2011/results/all#e333
You beat me on Magic
https://www.worldcubeassociation.org/competitions/RapidashOpen2012/results/all#e333
You beat me on Magic (again) and I didn't do 7x7x7

Last edited:

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah I'm registered mate. Will do my best to make it but will prob be there only the Saturday. I'd like to advance my PBs a little in 4/5BLD of course, but I've not done much practice so no serious goals.

openseas

WCA
2015PARK24
Went to a small comp last Sat (Oklahoma).
38 competitors total but couple of them didn't show up, one of the smallest comp I've ever been to.

3BLD: one twist (probably traced wrong), 1:48, one reverse comm (edge), 2nd place, just because nobody in Oklahoma was into BLD. And as usual, my son got the 1st with another 19s. Considering he didn't practice at all after the school start + 8am in the morning + Zach genned scrambles (one of the worst known BLD scramble genner :), surprised that he even got another sub 20. Anyway, another happy father-son podium :)

333: Scrambles were so good, 2,3,4 attempts were 3~4 move cross. Not the best time but after the 4th, realized I could break my long standing PB average, then, choked the last attempt, missed the 2nd round by one. But, without any practice, no complaints.

Recently, started 4BLD execution practice - just sighted solve. started off high 4 min, now down to mid 3 min. Variations are mostly due to incorrect comms. Not a great speed, a lot to optimize.

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
Went to a small comp last Sat (Oklahoma).
38 competitors total but couple of them didn't show up, one of the smallest comp I've ever been to.

3BLD: one twist (probably traced wrong), 1:48, one reverse comm (edge), 2nd place, just because nobody in Oklahoma was into BLD. And as usual, my son got the 1st with another 19s. Considering he didn't practice at all after the school start + 8am in the morning + Zach genned scrambles (one of the worst known BLD scramble genner :), surprised that he even got another sub 20. Anyway, another happy father-son podium :)

333: Scrambles were so good, 2,3,4 attempts were 3~4 move cross. Not the best time but after the 4th, realized I could break my long standing PB average, then, choked the last attempt, missed the 2nd round by one. But, without any practice, no complaints.

Recently, started 4BLD execution practice - just sighted solve. started off high 4 min, now down to mid 3 min. Variations are mostly due to incorrect comms. Not a great speed, a lot to optimize.
I was interested in that OKC comp, but there’s no way I’d have been able to swing it. I was wondering how it was... sounds like they made the most of a small cubing community.

I don’t have any upcoming comps at this point. I think in the next couple months or so, while I have other things going on, I’ll spend some time on my BLD techinique. Not necessarily to get fast (yet), rather to develop the techiniques needed so that I CAN go faster. Also, I want to spend some time working sighted 4BLD practice too. I would like to have all those set-ups and special algs down pretty good by the end of the year.

Old Tom

WCA
2018DOYL02
I was interested in that OKC comp, but there’s no way I’d have been able to swing it. I was wondering how it was... sounds like they made the most of a small cubing community.

I don’t have any upcoming comps at this point. I think in the next couple months or so, while I have other things going on, I’ll spend some time on my BLD techinique. Not necessarily to get fast (yet), rather to develop the techiniques needed so that I CAN go faster. Also, I want to spend some time working sighted 4BLD practice too. I would like to have all those set-ups and special algs down pretty good by the end of the year.

I had a really stupid practice session today. Got a complete edge and corner memo down solid. Started execution, was going well, then realized I was doing an edge memo for a corner execution. Arghh!

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
I might be moving the plateau again at last. Crushed my Ao5 with a 19.32. That would indeed be my first sub 20 Ao5.

Time List:
1. 18.61 B U2 B D' L U' L' B' U L' U2 F2 U2 R' D2 F2 R F2 L2
2. 22.36 F' D2 B2 D2 R2 B2 F R2 F R2 D2 U' B' L2 U2 F D B' L U
3. 20.45 D2 F2 U2 R2 U2 R U2 F2 L2 D2 B2 U L' B F2 D' B2 F' U'
4. 18.90 R' B L U' L U2 L2 B D' R2 F U2 B' D2 R2 B' L2 U2 F' L2
5. 17.77 U L B2 R U' R2 D R' F U' F' U2 L2 F2 R2 B R2 L2 B' U2

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
I might be moving the plateau again at last. Crushed my Ao5 with a 19.32. That would indeed be my first sub 20 Ao5.

Time List:
1. 18.61 B U2 B D' L U' L' B' U L' U2 F2 U2 R' D2 F2 R F2 L2
2. 22.36 F' D2 B2 D2 R2 B2 F R2 F R2 D2 U' B' L2 U2 F D B' L U
3. 20.45 D2 F2 U2 R2 U2 R U2 F2 L2 D2 B2 U L' B F2 D' B2 F' U'
4. 18.90 R' B L U' L U2 L2 B D' R2 F U2 B' D2 R2 B' L2 U2 F' L2
5. 17.77 U L B2 R U' R2 D R' F U' F' U2 L2 F2 R2 B R2 L2 B' U2
Nicely done!!

Selkie

Premium Member
WCA
2011WRIG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
@mark49152

Be great to catch up, whatever results we get or don't buddy. Maybe we will get the opportunity of sampling another good curry at a competition soon (UKC?). :)

@AvGalen

I remember our two mutual comps well. You taught me AvG and I still solve a few of that method casually now and then.

I would very much hope we will cross paths again very soon.

----

To the wider thread regulars, you may or may not have found out that I was honored to be elected to the Board of Directors of the WCA over the weekend. This is such a great honor and privilege for me and a role I will not be taking lightly.

With the majority of my own personal cubing motivation coming from the older cubing community - my peers, I am eager to support ways in which the WCA can recognise progress and attainment other than those acclaimed titles of NR, CR and WR. This applies to us grey haired but also to other demographics. Official age based ranking is something that I will be supporting.

If you have any thoughts or ideas to share with me, please do, I'd be delighted to hear and discuss them.

All this and I will try and slack less on the forum! :)

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
@mark49152

Be great to catch up, whatever results we get or don't buddy. Maybe we will get the opportunity of sampling another good curry at a competition soon (UKC?). :)

@AvGalen

I remember our two mutual comps well. You taught me AvG and I still solve a few of that method casually now and then.

I would very much hope we will cross paths again very soon.

----

To the wider thread regulars, you may or may not have found out that I was honored to be elected to the Board of Directors of the WCA over the weekend. This is such a great honor and privilege for me and a role I will not be taking lightly.

With the majority of my own personal cubing motivation coming from the older cubing community - my peers, I am eager to support ways in which the WCA can recognise progress and attainment other than those acclaimed titles of NR, CR and WR. This applies to us grey haired but also to other demographics. Official age based ranking is something that I will be supporting.

If you have any thoughts or ideas to share with me, please do, I'd be delighted to hear and discuss them.

All this and I will try and slack less on the forum! :)
That’s fantastic! Congratulations.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
@mark49152

If you're at Stratford both days and up for a curry there, I'll make a special effort to stay over. It would be great to catch up.

Regarding WCA ideas, it would be nice to see the over 40 ranking become official, but the model we have today where WCA results data can be exported for others to do as they like with is a powerful one. At least if the WCA offered an opt-in on user profiles to include birth year in the exported data, the ranking (and others) could be offered more easily by third party sites wike WCADB.net. There are other rankings like Kinchranks offered that way and I recognise the WCA can't add every good idea to their own results presentation.

Either way, it would be nice to see more recognition and motivation for older cubers to compete though. We're in such a minority!

Selkie

Premium Member
WCA
2011WRIG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
@mark49152 Unfortunately Mark though I will be staying in Stratford on the Friday and Saturday nights I am bringing the family with me so they can enjoy the heritage of the town. We have a cottage through AirBnB for the weekend so I will be spending the evenings with them. UKC is a different matter however as I will be attending on my own. You stopping over in Stevenage?

Points duly noted with regards over 40s rankings. Once I am up to speed in the role I will give this some thought. Would be great to get something in place moving forward.