• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Older cubers discussions

Old Tom

WCA
2018DOYL02
Did it!

Successful 3BLD on a newly-generated scramble. Old Pochmann method. Memo was solid as it usually seems to be for me. Corners were easy, just seven moves (so needed a parity correction). Edges were tough with one edge already solved but two flipped in place. Wasn't timing myself, but was extra slow and careful on the setups/un-setups, these are still not automatic for me. Probably took just under 30 minutes. I memoed edges, then corners, solved corners, then edges. Reviewed the edge memo often, including in my head after corners were done.

Thanks to everyone here for the terrific help and encouragement. This includes urging me to try it, convincing me that it was possible. Joined the group in April, finally took the plunge and committed to blind early this month.

Next? (1) Get more solid, but ignore time. (2) Get faster, though currently plan to stick with OP; at my age I will never become really fast. (3) Enter a comp and get an official solve. What are the usual time-limits for a local comp?

Worth mentioning: being deaf really is an advantage for blind solving, as it is for many other mental activities. Total focus and concentration have always been easy for me.

(It also helps being retired, and having a very understanding lady friend.)

Thanks again guys!

Last edited:

openseas

WCA
2015PARK24
Did it!

Successful 3BLD on a newly-generated scramble. Old Pochmann method. Memo was solid as it usually seems to be for me. Corners were easy, just seven moves (so needed a parity correction). Edges were tough with one edge already solved but two flipped in place. Wasn't timing myself, but was extra slow and careful on the setups/un-setups, these are still not automatic for me. Probably took just under 30 minutes. I memoed edges, then corners, solved corners, then edges. Reviewed the edge memo often, including in my head after corners were done.

Thanks to everyone here for the terrific help and encouragement. This includes urging me to try it, convincing me that it was possible. Joined the group in April, finally took the plunge and committed to blind early this month.

Next? (1) Get more solid, but ignore time. (2) Get faster, though currently plan to stick with OP; at my age I will never become really fast. (3) Enter a comp and get an official solve. What are the usual time-limits for a local comp?

Worth mentioning: being deaf really is an advantage for blind solving, as it is for many other mental activities. Total focus and concentration has always been easy for me.

Thanks again guys!

Big congrats!

Regarding time-limits, it's completely up to the organizers but most cases, 10 mins / attempt, or 15 min total (accumulative) or 10 min total (accumulative).

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Did it!

Worth mentioning: being deaf really is an advantage for blind solving, as it is for many other mental activities. Total focus and concentration has always been easy for me.

(It also helps being retired, and having a really understanding lady friend.)

Thanks again guys!
Congratulations. Great achievement.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
@Old Tom : Congratulations! Your first solve was probably about 15 minutes faster than my first solve - my first solve was around 45 minutes. So you're off to a good start with speed!

As for competing, it's pretty certain these days that you'll probably be facing a 10 minute or faster cutoff for 3BLD, which I think is perfectly reasonable. But most competitions do usually give you 10 minutes, although in many cases if you take close to that long, it likely means you only get one chance. But it might be worth talking to competition organizers in your area (email them, or talk to them at the next competition you go to, whether or not you get to compete in BLD that day), and mention your quest to become one of the oldest BLD solvers ever (oldest ever in North America, probably - second oldest worldwide). There's a good chance they might stretch the time limits for BLD at the next competition they set up in your area just so they can have the honor of having you get a successful solve there! I wouldn't expect them to stretch the 10 minutes - you'll need to get fast enough to solve it in 10 minutes if you want an official solve. But they might very well do something like allow a 10 minute time limit per solve, but still allow three attempts. If not too many slow people in your area try for 3BLD, it's not necessarily all that draining on a competition to have one station in the corner still finishing up a 3BLD solver while the next event is going on at all the other stations. And the nice thing with you is: they don't have to worry about keeping the room quiet while you finish! :) Normally they tend to worry about that with most competitors.

Old Tom

WCA
2018DOYL02
@Old Tom : Congratulations! Your first solve was probably about 15 minutes faster than my first solve - my first solve was around 45 minutes. So you're off to a good start with speed!

As for competing, it's pretty certain these days that you'll probably be facing a 10 minute or faster cutoff for 3BLD, which I think is perfectly reasonable. But most competitions do usually give you 10 minutes, although in many cases if you take close to that long, it likely means you only get one chance. But it might be worth talking to competition organizers in your area (email them, or talk to them at the next competition you go to, whether or not you get to compete in BLD that day), and mention your quest to become one of the oldest BLD solvers ever (oldest ever in North America, probably - second oldest worldwide). There's a good chance they might stretch the time limits for BLD at the next competition they set up in your area just so they can have the honor of having you get a successful solve there! I wouldn't expect them to stretch the 10 minutes - you'll need to get fast enough to solve it in 10 minutes if you want an official solve. But they might very well do something like allow a 10 minute time limit per solve, but still allow three attempts. If not too many slow people in your area try for 3BLD, it's not necessarily all that draining on a competition to have one station in the corner still finishing up a 3BLD solver while the next event is going on at all the other stations. And the nice thing with you is: they don't have to worry about keeping the room quiet while you finish! :) Normally they tend to worry about that with most competitors.

:)

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
Did it!

Worth mentioning: being deaf really is an advantage for blind solving, as it is for many other mental activities. Total focus and concentration have always been easy for me.

(It also helps being retired, and having a very understanding lady friend.)

Thanks again guys!
That’s fantastic! Congratulations!

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
@Old Tom our local comps are pretty consistent with 10 minutes cummalative for all 3 attempts. If you nail it on your first in 9:59... you’re good. My first comp was further south by happenstance, in South Carolina, while visiting friends and family. They allowed 10 minutes per attempt.

It really comes down to time management and how much time they can set aside for the event. I’ve seen that they offer 60 minutes for 4BLD and 5BLD and sometimes I see a “combined 60 mins” for all 4 or 5BLD attempts.

You might be able to convince Corey to give you 60 mins on a 3BLD attempt during a comp where they do 4BLD and 5BLD. I realize they need to be fair, but it never hurts to ask.

Although, take your time and get comfortable with it. You will be amazed how quickly you can take time off your 3BLD times. I couldn’t even begin to guess how long my first successful attempt took...

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02

You know... @Old Tom One issue is trying to keep the room quiet long enough for all the competitors to finish. However, as you have said a few times, that’s not an issue for you. So as long as they don’t mind providing the judge (I know someone that would volunteer for that assignment—hint: it’s me!), they may be willing to do 3 attempts at 10 minutes each for you.

I know a few others that would appreciate a 10 min limit PER attempt! Heck... even I would take advantage of that to get a mean of 3! Maybe we can organize a comp with fewer events and longer time limits... we could have 3x3, 3BLD with 10min/attempt, and 10 minute limits (shorter cutoffs, but longer limits) for 555, 666, and 777! No other events.

Old Tom

WCA
2018DOYL02
You know... @Old Tom One issue is trying to keep the room quiet long enough for all the competitors to finish. However, as you have said a few times, that’s not an issue for you. So as long as they don’t mind providing the judge (I know someone that would volunteer for that assignment—hint: it’s me!), they may be willing to do 3 attempts at 10 minutes each for you.

I know a few others that would appreciate a 10 min limit PER attempt! Heck... even I would take advantage of that to get a mean of 3! Maybe we can organize a comp with fewer events and longer time limits... we could have 3x3, 3BLD with 10min/attempt, and 10 minute limits (shorter cutoffs, but longer limits) for 555, 666, and 777! No other events.

I am mulling on all of this advice. But mainly, it is on me. Need to get consistent, and faster. I am as obsessive as any of you, so will likely practice every day. But I may plateau, or even regress, I am 80 after all.

Meanwhile, I am thinking of early 2019 for a comp, eastern coast very much preferred. I am good at negotiating with directors, if they do email, so we will see.

Again, thanks to you all, but special thanks to @SpartanSailor, who helped me at my first comp this July, and can sign perhaps even better than I can.

Last edited:

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Congrats @Old Tom! You'll be fitting three attempts in that 10 minutes time limit before you know it ;)
Absolutely terrific that you got your first solve so soon after doing "re-scrambles". Getting below 10 minutes for 1 solve should indeed become your target and it will help you to set separate targets depending on your split, for example "3 minute memo for edges, 1 minute memo for corners, 2 minute execution for corners, 4 minute execution for edges". Although I like Mark49152's optimism, doing 3 solves in 10 minutes is absolutely not something that is easily reached and does require quick memo, good execution and that is something that will definitely not happen "before you know it"

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Although I like Mark49152's optimism, doing 3 solves in 10 minutes is absolutely not something that is easily reached and does require quick memo, good execution and that is something that will definitely not happen "before you know it"
That was just light-hearted, positive encouragement. I don't mean to diminish it as a goal, but wouldn't want to portray it as unrealistic or out of reach, either. It's great to see folks making progress - and aim high, that's what I say :D.

Old Tom

WCA
2018DOYL02
That was just light-hearted, positive encouragement. I don't mean to diminish it as a goal, but wouldn't want to portray it as unrealistic or out of reach, either. It's great to see folks making progress - and aim high, that's what I say :D.

I did take Mark's comment in the spirit that it was made. Ten minutes for just one solve is my goal, and this will not be particularly easy for me. OP requires about 20 individual sticker placements, each of the algs is about 15 moves, add an average of 3 more for setups plus unsetups, that gives 360 moves! My old fingers can only manage 2 mps, 3 on a good day. So that's 2 or 3 minutes right there, with no hesitations at all, for the execution. I think I should allow myself 5 or even 6 miniutes for execution. Need to improve setups dramatically, but that should come with practice.

I have been doing memo leisurely, but it is fun, and I think I can get good at it, especially now that the letter locations are automatic (that happened recently). Can make up a lot of time there, provided I get better/faster at locating available locations for new cycles, this is currently a pain and a drag, often need to re-trace for that.

Will definitely record my splits. And definitely work hard at all this.

Last edited:

chtiger

WCA
2015HARR03
(3) Enter a comp and get an official solve. What are the usual time-limits for a local comp?
The last comp I went to, which was in the Charlotte area so maybe not too far depending on where in Virginia you are, had a 70 minute cumulative limit for 3BLD and 4BLD together. You'd have time for two attempts even now, or three attempts by the time the next comp comes around, if the events/limits stay the same. That's not typical though, so I'd agree that sub 10 minute is a good goal for now. That almost always gets you at least one attempt. Most common around this area is probably either 15 minute cumulative or 20 minute cumulative. The lowest limit for a comp I've attended was 6 minutes per attempt.