• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Older cubers discussions

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
Hi there @Old Tom , I was your judge for the DNF. I was rooting for you, and I'm glad to see you that you completed an average after that mishap. After your solves you came by to chat with me for a moment, and I just wanted to let you know it was an awesome privilege to meet you!
@Bobby Mapp !! Glad you dropped by!

Guys... Bobby and his son are like the dynamic duo of Cubing in the local area. Both are fast and at nearly every event.

Old Tom

WCA
2018DOYL02
Hi there @Old Tom , I was your judge for the DNF. I was rooting for you, and I'm glad to see you that you completed an average after that mishap. After your solves you came by to chat with me for a moment, and I just wanted to let you know it was an awesome privilege to meet you!

Thanks for those kind words. I was only in the comp because the guys here egged me on. But I'm now glad I did it. I am very happy that I was able recover from that DNF moment, it could have gone the other way and turned into a real bummer. One of the things I learned from yesterday is that every cuber is rooting for each other, a great atmosphere. This is a lot different from the bridge tourneys, which is head-to-head and so a zero sum game.

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
So true about every cheering for everyone. It’s fun to see other people do well... Even if I wanted to “beat” someone, I would be thrilled to see them do well. When it comes right down to it, my focus (and probably most others as well) is to do my personal best or have a “good solve” where everything goes well with limited or no major errors. If that happens, it doesn’t matter what the time was or what others are doing.

openseas

WCA
2015PARK24
Got one of @Old Tom in action...

What a lovely pic!
No wonder everyone was watching him solving!

We’ve finished a local comp, too.
I didn’t do triple DNF thing, 2 weeks in a row even with a major distraction in my final 3BLD, couldn’t focus on.... due to my son’s another 3BLD Pb, everbody was wowing :) Still managed the last solve completed. I was so distracted, even forgot to wear my blindfold... after finishing memo, about to donn my blindfold but only realized that it was on the table. Grabbed the blindfold, laughing, (so was the judge), lost more than couple of seconds, lol...

For MBLD, I decided not to go full mode when I run a comp, last couple of time when I did, the impact was quite big in terms of the schedule. Instead, Jeff and Indecided to do a stackmat race against each other - him 9 vs mine 3 - who can finish within 10 min.. both failed but he was more close.

Next week is US Nats, any one coming? Hope to see some of you folks there, or meet new oldies :)

Last edited:

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
Next week is US Nats, any one coming? Hope to see some of you folks there, or meet new oldies :)
We aren’t making it to US Nats this year... bad timing with our move last month and getting to Utah was just a tad too pricey this year.

We went last year and had a great time—I only competed in 3x3. But hopefully for 2019 we can return and get a few additional events. And unless they change the qualifying times by a large margin, I should be able to make it for 3BLD in 2019 as well.

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi guys! Lot's of catching up. Like 30 pages or so since I last checked. Sorry but life/work and my youtube channel are taking a lot of time lately.

First of all, congrats @bubbagrub for your NR. That's really impressive performance.

Also, after several months with almost no practice due to my injured left thumb (probably due to cubing, in my doctor's opinion) I decided to go to Euro anyway and competed in 3x3. My first ever competition. I saw you there, @bubbagrub, judging a lot of events but I was just there on Saturday (yesterday) and I tried to find you and @Shaky Hands to say hello, even asked @moralsh about you but in the end I had to go and couldn't meet you guys! Very, very sorry about that.

Regarding my experience for the 1st time in a competition it was incredible. Lots of nerves but a very good result, given the circumstances of 1st comp + no practice for several months. Got a 19.91 Ao5 with an 18.51 best single and I'm more than happy with both results. Started well with an 18.8x, got nervous and completely spoiled the 2nd solve (30.xx) so I decided to turn slow, got two 20.xx solves and finished in good shape with that 18.51.

I'm not gonna rank up high in the over 40 ranking but I will tell you when the results are posted and I'm assigned my WCA ID. For now you can check my result here:
https://cubecomps.cubing.net/live.php?cid=3000&compid=436

Not sure when or even if I'll ever go to a comp again. I'm not practising speed any more currently and more into other non-WCA puzzles and my youtube channel. Also, my doctor is against me practising, as my left thumb is not recovered and my tendonitis is been there for more than 4 months now with no sign of leaving me.

Will try to come back more frequently from now on, though. See ya!

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
Any advice about 7x7 hardware? I have an older MOYU (whatever that is AUFO, AUSU... whatever...) that is non-magnetic and it is a chore to work with.

I have really come to enjoy and appreciate the benefits of magentic bigger cubes and would like something new and magnetic so I can spend some time working on 7x7 (in addition to 6x6 and 5x5). I must have got a good deal/sale on my Xman 6x6M because I didn’t pay the $50 price tag that seems to be on it these days. I think I paid $35. Now, I’m willing to pay for quality, but can’t afford 2 of these puzzles. I have seen the Cubicle WuJi M 7x7... but at nearly $100US, that’s a bit steep for a puzzle that I’m not proficient with. On the other hand, it could be an investment and I’d use it for a long time.

I was looking forward to the Hays 7x7, but the release has been delayed and I’m not sure what that price point would be anyway.
(Side note: I think it’s a little messed up that all the top big Cubers have special puzzles made by manufacturers but those some puzzles are not available to the masses... sort of like, an unfair advantage that they have substantially better hardware. I bet lots of people could beat Max or Felix if they had to use antiquated and lesser quality puzzles... just something that occurred to me when I keep seeing all these WR being set with cubes that are not available on the open market).

ANYWAY... for those of you that do enjoy larger cubes, any recommendations?

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks @Mike Hughey. You are completely right and I'm very happy with the result but also a bit sad that my days as a speedcuber might be finished almost before they (officially) started. Anyway, there are many other things twisty-puzzle-related I can still do and will do.

@SpartanSailor. I'm not proficient with big cubes but if you cannot afford an SCS / Cubicle custom Wuji M or similar maybe you can make do with just a stock Wuji. I like mine much, much better than any of the 6x6s I've ever had (but I don't own a Shadow M, of course). Maybe the Yuxin Hualong can suit you well too but I don't own one (I do have the 9x9, though, and it turns just great for such a beast of a puzzle).

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
@mafergut: Glad to see you check in, hear that you're now official, and very sorry to hear about the tendon issues. I have to wonder if you can change some of your troublesome finger-tricks, use the thumb less, and/or maybe just adjust hand/wrist angle. I've played guitar for 35 years now, when I'm standing and wearing a strap I hike the guitar fairly high. Low-slung is the "cool look" but it seems like a recipe for tendon stress with the wrist angle. I'll take the more dorky look and be happy I'm still tackling challenging pieces at 50.

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
@mafergut: Glad to see you check in, hear that you're now official, and very sorry to hear about the tendon issues. I have to wonder if you can change some of your troublesome finger-tricks, use the thumb less, and/or maybe just adjust hand/wrist angle. I've played guitar for 35 years now, when I'm standing and wearing a strap I hike the guitar fairly high. Low-slung is the "cool look" but it seems like a recipe for tendon stress with the wrist angle. I'll take the more dorky look and be happy I'm still tackling challenging pieces at 50.
Thanks. You're probably right. I'm right-handed and grip the cube mainly with my left. It looks like it's stress caused while gripping the cube. Maybe I use too much force. It hurts more with bigger cubes, which I was practising more lately but what I think was the worst for me was OH. The position when left thumb is gripping the cube while the index does a U flick with the back of the finger hurts a lot now so I have abandoned OH completely. If that's the only price I have to pay to keep cubing I will gladly make the sacrifice.

Duncan Bannon

Any advice about 7x7 hardware? I have an older MOYU (whatever that is AUFO, AUSU... whatever...) that is non-magnetic and it is a chore to work with.

I have really come to enjoy and appreciate the benefits of magentic bigger cubes and would like something new and magnetic so I can spend some time working on 7x7 (in addition to 6x6 and 5x5). I must have got a good deal/sale on my Xman 6x6M because I didn’t pay the $50 price tag that seems to be on it these days. I think I paid $35. Now, I’m willing to pay for quality, but can’t afford 2 of these puzzles. I have seen the Cubicle WuJi M 7x7... but at nearly $100US, that’s a bit steep for a puzzle that I’m not proficient with. On the other hand, it could be an investment and I’d use it for a long time.

I was looking forward to the Hays 7x7, but the release has been delayed and I’m not sure what that price point would be anyway.
(Side note: I think it’s a little messed up that all the top big Cubers have special puzzles made by manufacturers but those some puzzles are not available to the masses... sort of like, an unfair advantage that they have substantially better hardware. I bet lots of people could beat Max or Felix if they had to use antiquated and lesser quality puzzles... just something that occurred to me when I keep seeing all these WR being set with cubes that are not available on the open market).

ANYWAY... for those of you that do enjoy larger cubes, any recommendations?
For a 7x7 M, you could always magnetize your own. Or having someone here magnetize one, like @One Wheel is always an option!

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
Knocked 20 seconds off my 3bld PR, 3:12 (1:45 / 1:27), scramble seemed average-ish: R L2 U' R B' L' D2 L' U R B2 L' B2 D2 L U2 L' F2 L' B2 Fw Uw'

It's still difficult for me to get a sub 2 memo that sticks. Gimme 5 mins and I can make it stick until tomorrow though.
Nice job!

I’m the same... I’m having a hard time getting my memo down to less time. I may just try to improve my consistency at my current mid-3 range and go for a mo3 at my next comp in Aug.

But, 3:12 is good stuff!

I did just get a 2:41.34 (new PB single) and PB Ao5 of 3:02.12 with my 5x5 today. Still a LONG way to go with that one. I feel like that single was a little lucky. But still felt good.

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
For a 7x7 M, you could always magnetize your own. Or having someone here magnetize one, like @One Wheel is always an option!
There is no way I’d have the patience to do it myself! Hahahahaha... not even close. I’m certain I’d never get it back together even if I didn’t go mad placing a few hundred tiny magnets! I’d just spend the hundred dollars!

I guess my question was really if anyone had a 7x7 M and what their thoughts were? Reviews online are suspect. Everyone is either gushing with love or just hates it for no well articulated reason—or because they just don’t like the feel.

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
It's still difficult for me to get a sub 2 memo that sticks.

I'm still mostly all image-based for memo even on 3bld. Occasionally I'm able to fudge and just remember a few audio-like on edges if I'm getting stuck for images, or even just remember the positions of last couple. I think I'm reaching the point where taking on audio for at least part of the edge memo will help. Until now my tracing has been so slow that attacking audio memo wouldn't have been much benefit.

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
@pglewis & @SpartanSailor : Nice progress. It's tough but you're doing the right thing. Consensus seems to be that you should rush memo. If you don't rush, you settle into a rhythm and won't get faster. Rushing impacts accuracy but that recovers with much practice.

Last time I did pushed memo it sliced over a minute from my times. Yesterday was a pushed memo day without a single success. Granted I bailed on a lot of 'em if there was a trace mistake or slow memo, I wasn't interested in a 4 min solve. Second solve tonight: 20 second PB.

Still have to split my time with 3x3 and mbld though and tomorrow should be my 6 cube mbld debut.

openseas

WCA
2015PARK24
Last time I did pushed memo it sliced over a minute from my times. Yesterday was a pushed memo day without a single success. Granted I bailed on a lot of 'em if there was a trace mistake or slow memo, I wasn't interested in a 4 min solve. Second solve tonight: 20 second PB.

Still have to split my time with 3x3 and mbld though and tomorrow should be my 6 cube mbld debut.

As Mark said, "rushing the memo" is the only known (proven) way to improve.
There is no written procedure but common belief is like rushing your memo until you drop your success rate to 20~30%. Once you accustomed to it, you'll improve the success rate, then if it goes up to 60~70%, then, further rush the memo. This is the most common way to improve your time. Yes, it won't happen in a day or in a few attempts, it needs days of practices.

bubbagrub

WCA
2013COPP01
Hi guys! Lot's of catching up. Like 30 pages or so since I last checked. Sorry but life/work and my youtube channel are taking a lot of time lately.

First of all, congrats @bubbagrub for your NR. That's really impressive performance.

Also, after several months with almost no practice due to my injured left thumb (probably due to cubing, in my doctor's opinion) I decided to go to Euro anyway and competed in 3x3. My first ever competition. I saw you there, @bubbagrub, judging a lot of events but I was just there on Saturday (yesterday) and I tried to find you and @Shaky Hands to say hello, even asked @moralsh about you but in the end I had to go and couldn't meet you guys! Very, very sorry about that.

Regarding my experience for the 1st time in a competition it was incredible. Lots of nerves but a very good result, given the circumstances of 1st comp + no practice for several months. Got a 19.91 Ao5 with an 18.51 best single and I'm more than happy with both results. Started well with an 18.8x, got nervous and completely spoiled the 2nd solve (30.xx) so I decided to turn slow, got two 20.xx solves and finished in good shape with that 18.51.

I'm not gonna rank up high in the over 40 ranking but I will tell you when the results are posted and I'm assigned my WCA ID. For now you can check my result here:
https://cubecomps.cubing.net/live.php?cid=3000&compid=436

Not sure when or even if I'll ever go to a comp again. I'm not practising speed any more currently and more into other non-WCA puzzles and my youtube channel. Also, my doctor is against me practising, as my left thumb is not recovered and my tendonitis is been there for more than 4 months now with no sign of leaving me.

Will try to come back more frequently from now on, though. See ya!

Hey! Really sorry to have missed you at the competition -- I had no idea you were there. I'm very impressed by your result -- sub-20 3x3 average is something I've been aiming for for years and just missed out on at this comp (I got 20.17). Great to hear you had a good time as well -- hope to catch you at some future competition, perhaps. Hopefully you've caught the competition bug now! :)