• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Older cubers discussions

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
Cubecomps shows someone else getting a 20 on the same FMC scramble. I went through the regs to see what the tie-breaker is but couldn't find anything, how do they decide?

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
No tiebreaker - it's a tie.

For means of 3, the tiebreaker is best single. But no tiebreakers exist for same single number of moves - they just remain a tie.

I know this from having had the experience of having to deal with this at my own competitions with trophies/medals - you need a backup or two (or maybe several), especially for FMC because of this - ties are common.

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
No tiebreaker - it's a tie.

For means of 3, the tiebreaker is best single. But no tiebreakers exist for same single number of moves - they just remain a tie.

I know this from having had the experience of having to deal with this at my own competitions with trophies/medals - you need a backup or two (or maybe several), especially for FMC because of this - ties are common.

That makes total sense, I was just thrown off because Cubecomps marked @bubbagrub's single as an NR but not the other one. That must just be a glitch in their algorithm.

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
mbld today: 2/5, 44:47 (31:43 / 13:04). One was only off by two flipped edges. No major dumb procedural errors, memo held, time was good, and I didn't really start to feel the mental fatigue until late in execution. Not sure if I feel ready for six yet but I'm considering it.

Postmortem edit: cube 3 was off by two flipped edges because I memo'ed O despite looking at V. Since I was looking at the correct spot it only screwed up that next piece along with it and things got back on track. That's a rare type of error and I really should have caught it in review, should have been 3/5.

Last edited:

h2f

Premium Member
WCA
2014PACE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
That makes total sense, I was just thrown off because Cubecomps marked @bubbagrub's single as an NR but not the other one. That must just be a glitch in their algorithm.

Marcel Peters is from Germany. :)

@bubbagrub what was your solve? Can you just describe? Niss, inverse, insertions or something?

Nevermind - got it on FB. Thanks. :)

Great job. It looks so simple. Was it Marcel's the same?

Last edited:

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
@SpartanSailor: Re the new competitor tutorial. I will probably skip that. As I told you all, I've been deaf (profoundly) since I was a kid. What I always do is bone up beforehand, that video will help. It has captions! The first version, the captions were in French! But I found an English version. All is good!

You did say you know a bit of sign language. That's a plus, but I may be able to lipread you also. All part of the adventure!
I do know enough sign to “get by” and will happily go over the new competitor material with you before today’s events.

The go over the judging stuff too. It will only take a few moments and 1-on-1 is better so you can ask questions easier.

We will be hitting the road in about an hour. Expect to be there around 8a, or a little earlier. See you soon, @Old Tom

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
I’ve been pretty busy lately, but have enjoyed keeping up with the discussion.

@pglewis great work in the MBLD area. Wow! I’m impressed at how quickly you are getting it.

@bubbagrub CONGRATS! I was watching some of that comp on live stream yesterday morning—although the didn’t livestream the FMC or BLD events.

@Old Tom see you in a couple hours—looking forward to meeting and seeing that original Rubik’s cube from the 80s!

I’ll be at Fredericksburg, VA, for their competition today. The comp is hosting all the cubes sizes... 2-7... and nothing else. Looks like a relatively small comp. Something like 73 registered competitiors. I signed up for 2-6.... the 6x6 limit is 7:00. I’ve been in the mid-to-low 6s this week, but if anything goes wrong it becomes a 8+ real easily. I’m hoping to get my 1 attempt under 7 for an official single. The cutoff is like 4:30.... not a chance. Other than that, should be a fun day.

I’ll keep y’all posted... and try to remember that picture/video... to prove it all happened. LOL

Old Tom

WCA
2018DOYL02
I do know enough sign to “get by” and will happily go over the new competitor material with you before today’s events.

The go over the judging stuff too. It will only take a few moments and 1-on-1 is better so you can ask questions easier.

We will be hitting the road in about an hour. Expect to be there around 8a, or a little earlier. See you soon, @Old Tom

I am supposed to judge the first group of 3x3, and the 6x6 also, so a quick 1 on 1 about judging will help a lot. I am solving in 4th group of 3x3. I have no quslms about judging, just need to know a few things.

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
I am supposed to judge the first group of 3x3, and the 6x6 also, so a quick 1 on 1 about judging will help a lot. I am solving in 4th group of 3x3. I have no quslms about judging, just need to know a few things.
Judging is easy... and yes, I’ll show you what to do. It’s the same for 6x6 as it is for 3x3.

My son is competition in the first group of 3x3 and I’m judging the 4th. Maybe I’ll end up your judge for one of your attempts!

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
I’m impressed at how quickly you are getting it.

I'm just discovering what everyone here has been saying: it's a surprisingly small jump from 3 to 6. Beyond 6 I'll have to deal more with time management, but if the pace I have is good for retention for 3 then it's good for 6. A week and a half ago I wouldn't have believed it so readily.

I'll still probably only attempt 3 or 4 officially since that's just a couple weeks away and I'd like to stick with what I think I can hit 100% and max on points. But that's just because more cubes increases the chances of a tracing or execution mistake for me right now, not because of memo or time crunch.