• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Older cubers discussions

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
After my first try with 15, I'm thinking maybe it might be a bit too much:

8/15, 60:00:00 [42:23] (done for the weekly competition)
Working on last cube when time ran out.
Off by:
3 edges
2 edges
4 corners
11 edges
2 edges
5 edges
6 edges

Can you tell I have trouble remembering edges? :)

I was planning another whole review at the end but realized I was out of time and had to skip it. That slowed me down a bit in execution since I had a few significant recall pauses.

The first few cubes were really hard to memorize, but the 8 or so in the middle were actually rather easy. So I'm not sure how typical this was for me.

Sergey

After about 3 months of practicing I'm still not have stable sub-30: pb 20.274 (pll skip), best ao5 26.161, ao12 27.443 and ao100 32.444. Few hours a day practicing. Started at Fabruary from pb 52.041, ao5 1:05.657, ao12 1:13.738 ;)

Jason Green

WCA
2016GREE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
After about 3 months of practicing I'm still not have stable sub-30: pb 20.274 (pll skip), best ao5 26.161, ao12 27.443 and ao100 32.444. Few hours a day practicing. Started at Fabruary from pb 52.041, ao5 1:05.657, ao12 1:13.738 ;)
I think that's a pretty good pace! I don't remember my exact progression but it took me about 1 year to get sub 20 (I think a little over a year to be consistent). It was around 6 months before I had my first sub 20 single, so sounds like you're progressing faster than I did on that. :)

Sergey

I think that's a pretty good pace! I don't remember my exact progression but it took me about 1 year to get sub 20 (I think a little over a year to be consistent). It was around 6 months before I had my first sub 20 single, so sounds like you're progressing faster than I did on that. :)
Thanks! But to be completely honest - 3 months ago is not the first time when I met the cube. First was over 30 year ago, in 80s. It was very surprising that after more than 30 years I remembered basic principles of layer by layer solving and 2 or 3 algs for last layer - I think this is what is called "beginners method" now. Of course it was simple solving not speedsolving. So it is like 15 sec inspection and 5 sec solving ;).

Last edited:

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
Thanks! But to be completely honest - 3 months ago is not the first time when I met the cube. First was over 30 year ago, in 80s. It was very surprising that after more than 30 years I remembered basic principles of layer by layer solving and 2 or 3 algs for last layer - I think this is what is called "beginners method" now. Of course it was simple solving not speedsolving. So it is like 15 sec inspection and 5 sec solving ;).

Very similar story, I think I was experimenting with F2L before I gave it up because while learning F2L the second go-round I was having very strong deja vu.

I've been working on speedsolving a little over 2 years and still really only mid 20s at best in a longer average. I'm not really "a natural" but I'm stubborn.

Jason Green

WCA
2016GREE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Oh yeah that's just 1 year after I got into speed cubing. That was not my first time to solve a cube either. About 7 or 8 years earlier I had learned Petrus from his website just because I wanted to solve a cube. I never really timed myself, and would go so long without picking one up I would forget parts of it. I did not even know notation at that point, I just learned by watching his animations to memorize the algs.

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
I confirmed for my upcoming comp that that they are using a 10 min cumulative time for 3BLD. Good think my practice times have dropped. Just too bad my accuracy has dropped with them.

I guess I’ll have to dial it in a litttle toghter in the next 10 days... with any luck, I can get a nice 4min range success in my first two attempts.

phreaker

20s? I don't see one coming soon. Been cubing 2-3 years now. (I mainly cube OH, so 20s is actually quite quick.)

phreaker

Sad day: I broke my main Gan SM.

I took it apart to clean it, and tighten it up to deal with my nails going between the pieces. The tightening, turns out to have destroyed the edges. I don't think I'll ever be able to tighten the cube correctly without major hacking. That said, I am considering that hacking, if I can get the 1xSM Magnet I lost doing the work. Let's just say it wasn't my day.

Happier day: I made a Gan SUM.

I took the core from my Gan SM dead, and put it in my UM. I always thought the UM lacked "travel", in the springs, and it made the cube feel harsher than needed, did 2/3rds of a lube job on it. (I'm not sold I'm done yet...) Angstrom Gravatas + Dignatas + DNM-37. I need to lube the core, but I haven't decided on final springs yet.

The Gan SUM is an interesting cube. It is a bit "looser" like a SM, but not as loose as an SM, it keeps some of the stiffness from the UM, and noisiness. (The cube can clack quite loudly.)

We'll see how I like this Gan SUM compared to my other SM, as I clean that cube out and prepare it for more use...

*sigh*

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi all! Another week or two since I last visited. Hi @Jason Green I hadn't seen you post in a long time. I hope everything is going well. Do your kids cube already?

Not sure if I told you that I finally registered for Euros in Madrid, but only for 3x3. Anyway my left thumb injury is not getting any better so I'm afraid I will not be able to compete, or if I compete I will be very, very slow, like in not even sub-30 (it hurts to just grip the cube). At least I'll go watch and meet some people.

@muchacho, I just finished today editing my short video about Roux. I will publish it in my channel this week. Finally I decided to feature your PB single solve in it ;) Maybe next episode is ZZ. Any ZZ solvers out there that can help?

phreaker

Hi all! Another week or two since I last visited. Hi @Jason Green I hadn't seen you post in a long time. I hope everything is going well. Do your kids cube already?

Not sure if I told you that I finally registered for Euros in Madrid, but only for 3x3. Anyway my left thumb injury is not getting any better so I'm afraid I will not be able to compete, or if I compete I will be very, very slow, like in not even sub-30 (it hurts to just grip the cube). At least I'll go watch and meet some people.

@muchacho, I just finished today editing my short video about Roux. I will publish it in my channel this week. Finally I decided to feature your PB single solve in it ;) Maybe next episode is ZZ. Any ZZ solvers out there that can help?

What form of help do you need with ZZ. I use it on 3x3, especially OH.