• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Older cubers discussions

Logiqx

WCA
2015GEOR02
YouTube
Visit Channel

JanW

WCA
2018WANA01
U' R' U M2 U' R U M2
That's a nice alg! :) But appears to do UF-DB-BR... For that one I use D' R' U R U R U R' U' R' U' D. Yours would probably be better, if I can learn how to use it. Mine is derived from my edge system and I can immediately identify how to do it, even if I don't remember anything about what algs I've used for what case.

Reactions: h2f

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
That's a nice alg! :) But appears to do UF-DB-BR... For that one I use D' R' U R U R U R' U' R' U' D. Yours would probably be better, if I can learn how to use it. Mine is derived from my edge system and I can immediately identify how to do it, even if I don't remember anything about what algs I've used for what case.
Apologies. Try F R2 F' M2 F R2 F' M2

Edit: You could always use an x rotation to switch to U moves instead of F.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wow, all the recommendations against y rotations. I probably do at least 1/3 of my BLD algs with y rotations as a setup; I often find myself not having to rotate back for several algs in a row because I do so many of them after a y' rotation. It is true it's almost always specifically a y' rotation; that just sets up to so many nice commutators in so many situations.

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wow, all the recommendations against y rotations. I probably do at least 1/3 of my BLD algs with y rotations as a setup; I often find myself not having to rotate back for several algs in a row because I do so many of them after a y' rotation. It is true it's almost always specifically a y' rotation; that just sets up to so many nice commutators in so many situations.
I don't do any for 3BLD but once I get further into edge comms it would cut down on S moves which I dislike.
I do use them for 4BLD centres.

mitja

WCA
2016POPO02
I see you all use UF buffer. I am still on DF. i am intrigued to switch to UF, but first I want to go on some comp with what i am used to. I use some y rotations when I do +/x centres. It is hard not to use it, much easier to 3-cycle centres.

h2f

Premium Member
WCA
2014PACE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I see you all use UF buffer. I am still on DF.

I guess it's opposite and most of us use DF. Anyway I use DF and I'm not going to switch.

I probably do at least 1/3 of my BLD algs with y rotations as a setup; I often find myself not having to rotate back for several algs in a row because I do so many of them after a y' rotation.

I had a bunch of algs for corners with y/y' rotation but I found on Ishaan's list that they can be exchange with setups like D/D' or R etc.

mitja

WCA
2016POPO02
Ok, so mostly DF. I would understand it is easier to track pieces during memo with UF. what about 3-cycles corners? Do you use UBL buffer of URF? Do you switch buffer a lot? I move buffer on centres sometimes, when it is in the way of a setup, but just sometimes.

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok, so mostly DF. I would understand it is easier to track pieces during memo with UF. what about 3-cycles corners? Do you use UBL buffer of URF? Do you switch buffer a lot? I move buffer on centres sometimes, when it is in the way of a setup, but just sometimes.
I use UBL but no buffer switching.

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
All this talk has made me immediately change my OP corner setups for J, K, V, W, and G. My execution is still ~1:30 or a little more and it's not difficult to make those changes at my safe speed. D/F/I is just a nuisance, being on both the U and L faces, which leaves initial F face turns or rotation as a necessary evil.

On rotations: I do use x' rotations during M2 now for E/F/G/M/O/P to avoid B face turns and find it very natural after practicing that way for a little while.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok, so mostly DF. I would understand it is easier to track pieces during memo with UF.
I don't see why it would be easier to track pieces with UF.

I use UBL for corners.

On rotations: I do use x' rotations during M2 now for E/F/G/M/O/P to avoid B face turns and find it very natural after practicing that way for a little while.
Yes that is a good point. I was thinking of corners when I commented above. For edges I do X rotations a lot.

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
Quick comp question for BLD:

After finishing your solve, do you (or may you) look before stopping the timer or do you have to stop the timer before looking?

I realise that once you look, you can touch the cube again, but I’m wondering about finding the timer to stop it. Or... am I over thinking it?

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
All this talk has made me immediately change my OP corner setups for J, K, V, W, and G. My execution is still ~1:30 or a little more and it's not difficult to make those changes at my safe speed. D/F/I is just a nuisance, being on both the U and L faces, which leaves initial F face turns or rotation as a necessary evil.

What are you using for G?

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel

After finishing your solve, do you (or may you) look before stopping the timer or do you have to stop the timer before looking?

I realise that once you look, you can touch the cube again, but I’m wondering about finding the timer to stop it. Or... am I over thinking it?
Yes, I believe you can look but don't touch. The timer is easy to find though.

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07

If the competitor is not touching the puzzle, they may remove the blindfold before they stop the timer. They must not touch the puzzle until the end of the attempt. Penalty for touching the puzzle: disqualification of the attempt (DNF).

https://www.worldcubeassociation.org/regulations/#B5c

[Edit: my lone official attempt was with a Stackmat and it was easy to find with the blindfold on, keeping in mind I'm very familiar since I use a Stackmat at home]

What are you using for G?

I was doing F2 R', now D2 R