• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Older cubers discussions

Jason Green

WCA
2016GREE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey all! Ive been lurking instead of posting the last 2 weeks. The following pics will explain. I sort of hit a wall after being angry. so stupid. Anyway since then i've just been popping on a readign posts a bit. Jealous of my inability to practice anthing anymore. In the last few days though my broken has felt better and i decided to resume 4bld practice. Well.. i managed a first success of 26:32.11 (2 cheats - check after centers and check after wings since it was a first attempt)

It was a fairly easy scramble as far as i could tell. no cycle breaks in center memo and 1 cycle break in wings which made it easier. Not sure ill be replying much. typing is a huge pain in the ass. but pretty glad im able to practice something while i heal up. Turning is cumbersome and slow but that's normal with 2 healthy hand while learning any new event. Cheers all!

Edit.. how do i post pics? it's asking for a URL and didn't work
photo.php

photo.php
I just upload a file on my phone to share pics on here. Congrats on the 4 blind! I hit a wall once and broke the wall but not my hand, but it wasn't from anger it was pain. I had a chocolate lab that jumped on the bed and scratched my back as she landed. It hurt so much I hit the wall. Haha

muchacho

WCA
2016ALAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is the fastest solve I've reconstructed (I was not able to do it with my 11.289 PB). Probably one of the fastest solves with first block on the right... well, probably not, but at least I don't know anyone who does FB on the right :D

51258 20-ago-2017 14:21:39 00:11.519 R2 L2 D F2 U F2 L2 D B2 L2 D' B' R B2 D F' L D' L2
y' x
M' Uw R U' R' // FB
U' M' U' L2 L' U L U2 M' Lw' U' Lw U M Lw U Lw' // SB
U2 F R' F' R U R U' R' // CMLL
M' U' M' U U2 M2 U2 M

39 STM
3.39 TPS

Last edited:

kbrune

WCA
2012BRUN02
I'm really surprised how everyone does Yau now. I guess I should really learn it?

i switched to yau once. it added 20 seconds to my average. i got frustrated and switched back to my mutt method lol

I just upload a file on my phone to share pics on here. Congrats on the 4 blind! I hit a wall once and broke the wall but not my hand, but it wasn't from anger it was pain. I had a chocolate lab that jumped on the bed and scratched my back as she landed. It hurt so much I hit the wall. Haha

i tried that. It still asks for a URL on my phone. im so tech imcopetent its painful!

earth2dan

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey all! Ive been lurking instead of posting the last 2 weeks. The following pics will explain. I sort of hit a wall after being angry. so stupid. Anyway since then i've just been popping on a readign posts a bit. Jealous of my inability to practice anthing anymore. In the last few days though my broken has felt better and i decided to resume 4bld practice. Well.. i managed a first success of 26:32.11 (2 cheats - check after centers and check after wings since it was a first attempt)

It was a fairly easy scramble as far as i could tell. no cycle breaks in center memo and 1 cycle break in wings which made it easier. Not sure ill be replying much. typing is a huge pain in the ass. but pretty glad im able to practice something while i heal up. Turning is cumbersome and slow but that's normal with 2 healthy hand while learning any new event. Cheers all!

Edit.. how do i post pics? it's asking for a URL and didn't work
photo.php

photo.php
I've never tried uploading a photo from my phone. I use my PC for most posts and just click the "Upload a File" button... et voila!

Hope your hand heals up fast. That's no fun at all. Especially when your favourite hobby requires healthy dexterous digits.

I wish I could take part in these blind solve discussions, but I'm nowhere near there yet. I started learning M2 last year and then just kind of gave up on it for other things. Memorizing and recalling things from memory like this has always been a big problem for me. I like the story/rooms method, but I just haven't put enough time into training my brain for this.

I gave Yau5 a try today and I got 2:30 out of nowhere. My normal averages are over 3:10. It was just good slow solve without pauses. I'm gonna to switch to Yau5.
Nice! I tried Hoya5 last year and I enjoyed solving that way, but I just couldn't match my standard reduction times so I eventually gave up on it. Never tried Yau5. Maybe I'll give it a go :)

pipkiksass

YouTube
Visit Channel
Just thought I'd share this - the effect of magnetising my WuQue:

XPre-MagnetsPost-MagnetsImprovementAs %
Single01:00.74000:54.83400:05.90610%
Ao501:07.51001:04.34400:03.1665%
Ao1201:10.52001:08.37600:02.1443%
Ao10001:18.16001:12.97400:05.1867%

Not surprisingly, the magnets have made me massively more consistent. I've probably only done around 120 solves, but I've smashed my Ao100. Could probably do with a few drops of lube, then I'm pretty sure I could drop a couple more seconds off it - not far off being sub 1:10. I've had a couple of 1:10ish solves with double parity, and two sub-1's (my only ever sub-1s).

(Bad habit alert) I often look up at my timer on my phone (most solves these days are on my phone, rather than CStimer on my computer, and it can't hide timer updating) when executing OLL parity. More and more often I'm hitting parity in low 50's, rather than just outside the 1 minute mark.

Just thought it was interesting, and proof (if it were ever needed) that magnets are worthwhile in a 4x4. I was amazed how easy magnetising my WuQue was - I was expecting it to be a lot harder. Maybe it's experience, but it actually took me less time than it took me to magnetise my Valk...

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
After having my stackmat timer (Yuxin) sitting on a drawer for a long time I decided to put it to use. I even managed to successfully connect it to my computer with csTimer. I had bought the cables (male 2.5mm to female 3.5mm and male-to-male 3.5mm) but when plugging them in my laptop nothing happened. The connector in my laptop is a 3-way 3.5mm jack (mic & headphones) and I had tried connecting the stackmat directly to that, which didn't work.

But for audio conferencing I use a headset with separate mic and 2-way headphone jacks which I connect to my laptop with a "splitter" cable (mic 3.5mm female + 2-way 3.5mm headphone female to 3.5mm 3-way male). So I thought, why not connect the stackmat to the laptop through the mic female connector of the splitter? And it worked!

While trying the stackmat I have managed to lower my skewb PBs again. Got sub-8 Ao50 (7.93) and 8.29 Ao100, all stackmatted. It doesn't seem like the stackmat has a significant impact in my skewb solves (maybe a tenth or two?). On the other side, it impacts a lot my 3x3 solves (I'd say more than half a second). Maybe I need to do a long stackmat session with 3x3 to get used to it, even if I still don't plan on going to a comp anytime soon.

earth2dan

YouTube
Visit Channel
After having my stackmat timer (Yuxin) sitting on a drawer for a long time I decided to put it to use. I even managed to successfully connect it to my computer with csTimer. I had bought the cables (male 2.5mm to female 3.5mm and male-to-male 3.5mm) but when plugging them in my laptop nothing happened. The connector in my laptop is a 3-way 3.5mm jack (mic & headphones) and I had tried connecting the stackmat directly to that, which didn't work.

But for audio conferencing I use a headset with separate mic and 2-way headphone jacks which I connect to my laptop with a "splitter" cable (mic 3.5mm female + 2-way 3.5mm headphone female to 3.5mm 3-way male). So I thought, why not connect the stackmat to the laptop through the mic female connector of the splitter? And it worked!

While trying the stackmat I have managed to lower my skewb PBs again. Got sub-8 Ao50 (7.93) and 8.29 Ao100, all stackmatted. It doesn't seem like the stackmat has a significant impact in my skewb solves (maybe a tenth or two?). On the other side, it impacts a lot my 3x3 solves (I'd say more than half a second). Maybe I need to do a long stackmat session with 3x3 to get used to it, even if I still don't plan on going to a comp anytime soon.
Ingenious solution :)

When I first got into speedcubing I bought a cheap knock off timer because my only options were an expensive StackMat timer or the cheapo. Lets just say I got what I paid for and it never really worked. I've been considering buying a good one because if I ever do get to a competition I'd like to be prepared.

Lol. So I just dusted off the ol' skewb (really, it was covered in dust) and timed a solve. 9 minutes! I don't think I'll be breaking records any time soon :p

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ingenious solution :)

When I first got into speedcubing I bought a cheap knock off timer because my only options were an expensive StackMat timer or the cheapo. Lets just say I got what I paid for and it never really worked. I've been considering buying a good one because if I ever do get to a competition I'd like to be prepared.

Lol. So I just dusted off the ol' skewb (really, it was covered in dust) and timed a solve. 9 minutes! I don't think I'll be breaking records any time soon :p
If you decide to get a stackmat and you can affort it I'd go for the new Speedstacks Gen 4 timer. The only reason I went for the cheaper Yuxin is that the Spanish Speedstacks store is very expensive and other options (like ordering from TheCubicle), with shipping costs and all weren't much cheaper either (well over 50 bucks). I was lucky that the Yuxin timer works fine apparently (for now) and it was quite cheap on Lightake (like $20 or less). You have it on sale at Lightake right now for $12.69 timer + mat!!! Dirt cheap if you wanna take the risk :)

NewbieCuber

Just wanted to say "I'm still here" :) Slowly, my F2L is getting better and faster. I'm sneaking up on a 1 minute average for the 3x3. I'll get the occasional sub-60 second solve and I really feel like I'm close to getting a sub 60 second average of 5 soon.

Considering that 3 months ago I was happy to solve a 3x3 in under 3 minutes this is certainly progress.

Last edited:

Jason Green

WCA
2016GREE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I had a crazy blind solve tonight. I didn't practice yesterday any so I was rusty I guess. I memoed two edges wrong letter, but caught them both at execution because I remembered where they were. H memo as G and B memo as C. Then I memoed CT J as my last three corners. It should've been BT J. I executed CT and realized my cycle was wrong. So I undid C and then remembered I had also done T. So I redid C, undid T, undid C again! Then did BT J. And had a success. I was kind of shocked. Haha.

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
To follow up on what @NewbieCuber said, "I'm still here, too" :)

I've been practicing in advance of the Spokane Valley Summer 2017 competition on 8/26. I also got a magnetic Valk 3 a couple weeks ago. Several weeks ago, prior to the Valk's arrival, I dropped my PB in 10 seconds in one solve, going from a 50.65 to a 40.04. I got the Valk 3 after that and I saw an immediate improvement in my times and consistency. Since going sub-50 that first time, I've gone sub-50 dozens of times since, including a 46 ao5. Then this weekend, I knocked another 10 seconds off my PB, going from the 40.04 to 29.63 - completely skipping all the 30s! I was *REALLY* pumped* about that :) I'm still averaging around 51 or so but I am getting faster.

Currently, I am still using the beginner method I learned many, many, many years ago from James Nourse's book but I have also been practicing some CFOP. I don't know OLL or PLL at all yet but can do F2L. I'm just not fast with it yet and, rather than trying to learn a new method before the competition, I've been mainly practicing my old method. After the competition, I'll switch to CFOP.

He may not read this thread but I'll also throw a shout-out to MLewis38 here. We'd done a couple trades and I loved one of the magnetic cubes I got from him (a Hualong) because it had strong magnets in it. We talked about him doing another cube for me and he ended up magnetizing a Valk 3 for me. I asked for REALLY strong magnets and that's what I got. And I *LOVE* it. He was worried I'd hate it but it's great. Makes it super, super-stable. Anyway, he took care of me big-time and I now have a cube I really like. I highly recommend him if you're the type (like me) that doesn't want to magnetize your own cubes.

* - A billion years ago, I used to solve people's cubes for them at recess and would charge them a quarter for the privilege :) I got a fluke scramble that was ... not really scrambled... and solved the cube in 30 seconds. My goal since taking up the cube again earlier this year has been to beat that fluke solve with a "real" solve and now I finally have.

JohnnyReggae

WCA
2015BOSW01
If you decide to get a stackmat and you can affort it I'd go for the new Speedstacks Gen 4 timer. The only reason I went for the cheaper Yuxin is that the Spanish Speedstacks store is very expensive and other options (like ordering from TheCubicle), with shipping costs and all weren't much cheaper either (well over 50 bucks). I was lucky that the Yuxin timer works fine apparently (for now) and it was quite cheap on Lightake (like $20 or less). You have it on sale at Lightake right now for $12.69 timer + mat!!! Dirt cheap if you wanna take the risk :)
Speaking of timers ... this link was posted on the Forums here a few weeks back, can't find the original post but I did save the link with the info. Make your own Stackmat display ... https://jayanth-rajakumar.github.io/ledmat/

It seems easy enough. I've ordered all the parts required, waiting for them to arrive now. Just to give an idea of costs ... here in South Africa I can get a Stackmat display for R2700 (around $200). The parts I ordered off of eBay cost me R250 (around $18). The only parts I still require are a LIon battery and a case to house the components.

Quite excited to try get this working :)

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
Speaking of timers ... this link was posted on the Forums here a few weeks back, can't find the original post but I did save the link with the info. Make your own Stackmat display ... https://jayanth-rajakumar.github.io/ledmat/

It seems easy enough. I've ordered all the parts required, waiting for them to arrive now. Just to give an idea of costs ... here in South Africa I can get a Stackmat display for R2700 (around $200). The parts I ordered off of eBay cost me R250 (around $18). The only parts I still require are a LIon battery and a case to house the components.

Wow! That looks like a very interesting project. I wish I had time and ability to do things like that (and like modding cubes, etc.) :)

EDIT: Finished my second skewb Ao1000 since learning intermediate. Improved more than 1 second, from 9.94 to 8.77. At this pace in 6000 solves I can break the WR :p

Last edited:

earth2dan

YouTube
Visit Channel

What a cool project. Be sure to follow up when you get it working. I'd love to see it in action.

You have it on sale at Lightake right now for $12.69 timer + mat!!! Dirt cheap if you wanna take the risk :)
Ooh that is quite a deal, but after shipping, currency exchange, and customs fees it'll be more like $30 for me. And with Lightake I may not see it for 3+ months (they have a pretty bad track record shipping my orders). I'm probably better off just spending the extra cash on something I know I'll be happy with. For $50 I can get the SpeedStacks G4 timer with mat and carry bag from a Canadian shop, and it would arrive within days of ordering. I've got it sitting in my cart along with a WuQue 4x4, a GTS V2, some lube and some magnets... just building up the courage to pull the trigger :p

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
What a cool project. Be sure to follow up when you get it working. I'd love to see it in action.

Ooh that is quite a deal, but after shipping, currency exchange, and customs fees it'll be more like $30 for me. And with Lightake I may not see it for 3+ months (they have a pretty bad track record shipping my orders). I'm probably better off just spending the extra cash on something I know I'll be happy with. For $50 I can get the SpeedStacks G4 timer with mat and carry bag from a Canadian shop, and it would arrive within days of ordering. I've got it sitting in my cart along with a WuQue 4x4, a GTS V2, some lube and some magnets... just building up the courage to pull the trigger :p
You know you are going to do it so, c'mon, don't make it last longer than it has to. Pull the trigger already! :)
I have a cart right now in zcube with a Bauhinia, a Bermudaminx and the SS 4-layer Pyraminx but it's $60 including shipping and I have bought too many cubes recently and the Bauhinia will need a lot of time to sticker, disassemble, adjust and lube to make it turn decent as all mf8 puzzles. So, I have postponed the decision for now.