• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Older cubers discussions

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks guys. I was pleased with the 19/20 accuracy. Getting 25%+ faster will be a long term challenge though. I've already trained MBLD speed this past year to go from 8 to 14 cubes, so there are no more quick wins. It will take a lot of practice to add the same number again!

I might try another attempt at lunchtime today if I can find enough time.

JohnnyReggae

WCA
2015BOSW01
Another package arrived yesterday after a long 2 month wait, in fact I ordered the cubes on the 23rd May ... Anyway this one was a bit more exciting than my last one which had a couple GTS2's amongst other things.

Only 2 cubes in this package, but I was excited for both. First off the new Shengshou 5x5 Mastermorphix (Gigamorphix/Ultramorphix). Not sure on the official name as I have seen all 3 being used. This is an amazing puzzle. The turning and feel are both amazing. It caught me out as it turned out to be slightly harder solve than I anticipated, probably because I haven't solved either of my 3x3 or 4x4 Mastermorphixes in a while. For the price I am blown away by the quality of the puzzle. it feels better than my Moyu 4x4 Mastermorphix. I would recommend this puzzle for any collection.

20170803_231959.jpg 20170803_231921.jpg 20170803_231841.jpg

The 2nd cube in the package was a pink stickerless Aolong V2. My original Aolong V2 is still the cube that has the most individual solves on it, around 13000 or so, and I love it. I wanted to put magnets in it, but didn't want to mess it up with using the wrong magnets etc ... So I decided to get a new one and I went with stickerless as stickerles seems to be growing on me ... like a fungus :D ... I've already put magnets into it using 5x1.5mm N38 magnets. The magnets give it a lot of stability. I haven't had a corner twist yet which I did get a lot with my original Aolong, perhaps the magnets are helping with that as well. I've been getting close to my average with it but struggle with the recognition a little. The Green and Yellow are a little to close in shades so I've often confused the 2. The Aolong is still an amazing cube and I quite like the 57mm size.

20170804_101820.jpg 20170804_101902.jpg

muchacho

WCA
2016ALAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I may buy that 5x5 Mastermorphix... but not for solving it, just for display, it looks cool.

This also looks good scrambled, it's a 5x5 tennis ball (that I saw in a video by Robert Yau). I'm hoping solving it will be fun and not difficult.
5x5-tennis-ball.jpg

I've reached 50000 timed solves at 3x3, graphs confirm what I expected, maybe I've improved a little, but very little.

timeline-50000a.png timeline-50000b.png

JohnnyReggae

WCA
2015BOSW01
I may buy that 5x5 Mastermorphix... but not for solving it, just for display, it looks cool.

This also looks good scrambled, it's a 5x5 tennis ball (that I saw in a video by Robert Yau). I'm hoping solving it will be fun and not difficult.
View attachment 8294

I've reached 50000 timed solves at 3x3, graphs confirm what I expected, maybe I've improved a little, but very little.

View attachment 8295 View attachment 8296
The Mastermorphix is a fun solve and the 4x4 and 5x5 versions are interesting as you need to use commutators to solve the last 2 centers.

Well done on the 50000 solves :) I'm right on your doorstep with 49000 odd. Should get before the end of the month :)

JohnnyReggae

WCA
2015BOSW01
I have a 3x3 Mastermorphix, I don't even touch it in case I scramble it by error.

I need help from some 5x5 god, is there an alg for this?

View attachment 8297 View attachment 8298
Never seen or tried that puzzle, but it seems like some kind of "parity". I would swap the one in front with another tredge with the same colour to see if that twists the pieces around ...

JohnnyReggae

WCA
2015BOSW01
Don't know any specific algs ... I'd try this one ..

- 2 edges swap with 2 pairs
00X
XX0
Lw' U2 Lw' U2 F2 Lw' F2 Rw U2 Rw' U2 Lw2

Have them on top facing. Swap the 1 edge, do a U2 and swap the other edge. And then this alg to swap the center edges ...
Rw2 U2 Rw U2 Rw2 U2 Rw2 U2 Rw U2 Rw2

Not sure what this will do to the rest of the cube though.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
There's no parity on 5x5 if your tredges are already formed. Isn't this a simple 3x3 edge flip? You can flip a white/white tredge along with the black/white. For swapping places try messing with U perms.

Selkie

Premium Member
WCA
2011WRIG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well of all the cubing achievements to date, today's is one I am probably proudest of. When I changed from using a beginner method for 30 years and switched to CFOP in 2010 I decided I wanted to be sub 15 globally and in competition. Unusual for an older cuber as sub 20 would have been a more realistic target and one that would be far less time consuming to achieve. I achieved sub 20 within the first year. My road from sub 20 to sub 15 has been 6 years long so far. And although I am certainly not globally sub 20 (About 15.1x), today I got my first sub 15 average of 100! :-

3x3 Average of 100: 14.96

So much improvement in a few weeks from concentrated practice on cross to first pair and a very forgiving Cubicle labs GTS2M helps! :D

pipkiksass

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi folks, just checking in - how is everyone? I've been snooping around the thread occasionally, but far too busy these days to get overly involved. I'm struggling to find enough time to cube, let alone hang about on the forums! Hope those who went to Worlds had fun?!

Congrats on sub-15 @Selkie - it's a goal of mine, too. My problem is I can regularly hit sub-16 Ao5s, but struggle to concentrate long enough to roll it out to a good average. I need to focus on lookahead and cross to F2L transition, but I have so little time for cubing these days.

In other news, I'm thinking of putting magnets in my WuQue, just coz. Has anyone (@newtonbase?) successfully magnetised a WuQue themselves, rather than buying, and any thoughts on magnet strength? I'm thinking N35 4x2s for outer layers, N52 4x2s for inners.

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Road to 20/20 part 2 already.

Nice one Mark. Thought you were going to have a problem there at the start.

Congrats on sub-15 @Selkie
In other news, I'm thinking of putting magnets in my WuQue, just coz. Has anyone (@newtonbase?) successfully magnetised a WuQue themselves, rather than buying, and any thoughts on magnet strength? I'm thinking N35 4x2s for outer layers, N52 4x2s for inners.
Hi. Not yet but I do own a a Wuque for that purpose. I need to do some research as the magnet layout is different on a 4x4. I'll be very interested in how you get on. There is a magnets thread with experienced helpful people on it so have a look there if you haven't already.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04

There need to be twice as many magnets on the inner layers as the outer ones, so even though you want more magnetic force on the inner layers you want weaker magnets there. I used n38 4x2 on the outer layers and N38 4x1.5 on the inner layers of a yuxin blue. It's pretty strong, if I did it again I might try n35, but the balance is good.