• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Older cubers discussions

Selkie

Premium Member
WCA
2011WRIG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey! Thank you. Sorry I missed this and a few others.

I'll look into this, I'm currently using peter-hung.com for right hand OH. Thoughts on that site?

No need to apologise at all sir, I am more guilty than most of missing posts on here and for not offering thanks in recent times. I have been cubing far too long and often take breaks for life and the older cuber has the wisdom that life does need to come before solving.

Back on topic though I have to confess that I am probably the last mature cuber to ask about OH. To me the site looks good for RH OH which is such a niche of a niche. Perhaps one of our faster older OH solvers like @Logiqx could help with how the site fares?

One thing is for sure .. if you can get the motivation to improve from anywhere, it is here :)

Seems I was due 12 pages of catch-up on this thread!
Congratulations to everyone on their recent successes and special congratulations to @h2f for becoming a member of the board of Polish Speedcubing Association and to @Selkie for becoming part of the WCA Finance Committee.

Talking of me not reading every post, I guess this is point in case! Huge congratulations (@h2f )Grzegorz on your appointment to the Board of Polish Speedcubing. Apologies I had missed the news before now. Suffice to say I believe this is great news, not just for you, but for the future of Polish cubing. You have the temperament, maturity and vision to be a great asset.

Thanks too @Shaky Hands. I am really looking forward to the opportunity to giving back to the WCA for the ~35 years of cubing I have enjoyed. Cubing has given me more than battling with ancient hands to get sub 15s or being part of this most niche of pastimes it has given me the opportunity of making new friends, some of whom I can message at stupid o'clock for the latest PB so my thanks go to you too for that :D

Common sense tells me speed drinking is a bad idea when I am running/judging from 9am they next day...

@Shaky Hands , @Logiqx , @mark49152 , @newtonbase , @bubbagrub - Hope you have a great World's. So sad to be missing it but on the flip side so happy the UK old fogies are to be so well represented. Have a blast and get some PB and enjoy the networking

Last edited:

Selkie

Premium Member
WCA
2011WRIG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So not going to worlds, hugely looking forward to this weekend and London Open.

London Open Goals:-

Single/Average
2x2: Sub 5s/6.5s
3x3: Sub 13s/Sub 15s
4x4: Sub 55s/Sub 1m
5x5: Sub 1:55/Sub 2:00
6x6: Sub 3:40 single only
7x7: Sub 6m single only
Pyra: Sub 10s/13s

Others meh!... :)

kbrune

WCA
2012BRUN02
Hey all! Haven't been on here in a while. Hope you all are doing well. I miss being a part of this thread. Hard to find the time with life and all that. Also since my cubing slowed down after my hugely successful Halifax comp. I find when I cube less I neglect you guys. Since I crushed my average at that comp back in March, Motivation to keep practicing fell off a cliff since I felt like I would never come close to beating it again! lol

Oddly enough though the last month or so I picked up my cube out of boredom and all of a sudden my average dropped 1 second. Thinking it was a fluke I decided to do an ao100 just to see what would come of it. I ended up with my first sub 20 average after more then 100 solves. I still couldn't believe it but ever since I've been improving still.

I've done nothing different and learned nothing new yet the last 3 days after 500 solves. I end up with an average of 18.6x and my first ever sub 11 solve. 10.46 (PLL skip)! I don't know how but my cross planning and lookahead have improved drastically. The nice part is I still feel there's room for improving. Great feeling!

Anyway. I'm looking forward to catching up with everyone here.

Cheers!

Lazy Einstein

Alg Ninja
Earth, Solar system, Orion Spur, Milky Way
About the OH comments from mwhities and Selkie
Try http://cube.crider.co.uk/algtrans.html with LH algs and use the L/R mirror for RH

I have two OH docs for OLL / PLL:
OLL - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Aqomyed2ZK_r6R_WiCh0lm-gYqDGK5_msciRhxrjv0w/edit?usp=sharing
PLL - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gjjNsEURv-gkrUrn9JvcOEGMigzgzHKe2nwkuiApZsQ/edit?usp=sharing

If you "make a copy" you can use the format and change the algs into your preferred RH OH algs. Most of the OLLs are arguably the fastest still but I haven't check in over a year since I have been using ZZ for OH(Almost done ZZ-a for OH =) )

If you have trouble converting algs, you can message me on FaceBook under "Brant Holbein" and I can help.

kbrune

WCA
2012BRUN02
Are you in Cornwall now? I am living in Trenton and probably going to be running my first comp in Trenton or Kingston around Oct-Dec depending on life and other things.

Yeah I live in Cornwall and work in Brockville everyday. Have we met before at comp? or on here?

Comp in Kingston? That would be awesome! I'd definitely try to be there.
barring any important thing going on. I couldn't go to NCR back in May

moralsh

WCA
2013MORA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I like where you're going with that. Keep up the good work.

A little! ☺️

50 minutes :p as much as I'd love to set a WR in that event, it'll probably have to wait at least to the next comp after worlds.

in all seriousness, I can sub 25 at home at least half of the time, but I really have no idea what i'll do there.

JohnnyReggae

WCA
2015BOSW01
I'm having trouble with first practice of OH, in particular moving index finger to front for reversal.
For example:
Left ~ R U R' U' ~ having trouble with U
Right ~ L' U' L U ~ having trouble with U'
Especially, the index finger won't reach to the front, with middle finger touching in back. Those two fingers don't even spread that far apart. I can do the moves okay with only ring finger in back, but am not sure that's a good form. I'm using a 56mm MF3RS. Besides to keep practicing, should I look for a smaller cube, or should the range of motion increase with more practice?
For OH it is a difficult move to build the dexterity for. I did start with a smaller cube, 50mm and worked my way up a 54mm to my current 55.5mm Valk. I did use a 56mm for a fair while. But really it's purely down to practice, stretching the fingers and building the dexterity required. Sort of like learning to play guitar for eg. When starting out you don't have the dexterity to stretch across the fret-board easily, but with some time it becomes a lot easier.

Practice :)

Shaky Hands

Premium Member
WCA
2015NICH04
YouTube
Visit Channel
London will be the first UK comp I've missed in nearly 2 years.

You'll be missed. I believe this will reduce the number of people from 7 to 6 that have been to all the UK comps since my first one - Evan, Mollerz, Joey, Rob, Charlie and myself. Ah, I love trivia!

Good luck all and I'll be glued to cubecomps

My best chance of PB's are SQ1 (de-facto) and Megaminx. 6x6 should be a PB if I don't pop as I had my first pure sub-5 Ao5 earlier. Maybe I'll fluke a couple more. :)