• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Older cubers discussions

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm confused. What are these weird 4x4x4 parity algorithms that you're doing? And why are they useful if they mess up centers? What do you use them for?

Sorry, this is probably very obvious, but I'm completely confused.

(On a side note, I just got a new PB 6x6x6 single out of nowhere, after a bunch of ordinary solves: 3:46.09! About 10 seconds faster than my previous PB, which was 6 years ago. And amazingly, it was done with freeslice, not AvG!)

Last edited:

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm confused. What are these weird 4x4x4 parity algorithms that you're doing? And why are they useful if they mess up centers? What do you use them for?
Rob Yau's alg effectively does an r2 while leaving the UBr and DFr pieces in the same place. However, it does so by cycling the centres with others outside the r slice. So it's not a swap and you can't just do it twice to switch between solved state and parity state and back again.

That will probably make more sense if you just try it and see what happens!

h2f

Premium Member
WCA
2014PACE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
That makes some sense, except how does it really help if it messes up the centers?

I do centers first so it doesnt matter to me. For me it's just simpler than setup and classic alg (r2 D' L' F l' U2 l' U2 F2 l' F2 r U2 r' U2 l2 F' L D) which rotates top center too.

What alg do you use for wings parity? How do you deal with midges parity in 5bld?

Last edited:

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
That makes some sense, except how does it really help if it messes up the centers?
It doesnt mess them up if you are solving the parity case. The observation made above was that if you do it on a solved cube it doesn't reverse parity.

It's the same concept as swapping two unsolved centres. Obviously you can't swap them directly, but you can effectively do so using a 3-cycle with another centre of the same colour.

Since the alg cycles centres and swaps wings, you need to do it 2x3=6 times to go from solved to solved.

Edit: And as Grzegorz pointed out, it assumes you solve centres before wings.

Reactions: h2f

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I do centers first so it doesnt matter to me. For me it's just simpler than setup and classic alg (r2 D' L' F l' U2 l' U2 F2 l' F2 r U2 r' U2 l2 F' L D) which rotates top center too.

What alg do you use for wings parity? How do you deal with midges parity in 5bld?
My alg for wings parity is pretty bad for execution. But it's safe for me since I've done it many thousands of times. :) I've occasionally tried learning others, but I never feel safe with them.
r2 B2 U2 l U2 r' U2 r U2 F2 r F2 l' B2 r2
I solve centers first, and for parity I set up to the wings at UF like that, ending the setups with a 2R slice and then a 3B' to preserve my centers, then undo those after performing it.

Reactions: h2f

h2f

Premium Member
WCA
2014PACE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi guys! Thanks for the warm welcome. I didn't expect you to even remember me, tbh :D
I have skimmed through the last 15-20 pages and I'm also missing there some of the regulars. I hope you are all well and safe, guys!

Of course I remember you. I watch your QBAndo sometimes though I dont know Spanish. :)

openseas

WCA
2015PARK24
About to wrap up Southern championship.
Goals were 4BLD & MBLD Nats qual but missed all.

Broke official 3BLD DNF streak at 13, but again, tripple DNF’d at the final missed easy 3rd place.

MBLD: 4/8, twisted corners for 2 cubes, M slice off for another 2.

4BLD: mis traced the wing, wasted good 4 minutes to find what was wrong / ended up with 13:46.

5BLD: t centers were quite off.

333 - seriously considering not competing since I’m not practicing at all :-( that bad.

A side note: Jeff got another 19 for 3BLD, total 4 official sub 20, most in the world so far.

Last edited:

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
About to wrap up Southern championship.
Goals were 4BLD & MBLD Nats qual bit missed all.

Broke official 3BLD DNF streat at 13, bit again, tripple DNF’d at the final missed easy 3rd place.

MBLD: 4/8, twisted corners for 2 cubes, M slice off for another 2.

4BLD: mis traced the wing, wasted good 4 minutes to find what was wrong / ended up with 13:46.

5BLD: t centers were quite off.

333 - seriously considering not competing since I’m not practicing at all :-( that bad.

Abside note: Jeff got another 19 for 3BLD, total 4 official sub 20, most in the world so far.
Some bad luck there but well done on the podium and congratulations to Jeff.

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
4/9 again! Fastest attempt. Put a bit more into memo so execution was quicker 51:24 (38:13). 2 corner execution errors (a slip and a bad comm). Forgot to execute parity on 1 and missed a flipped edge and a twisted corner in memo. Recall was perfect. Fairly happy.
With a full hour I'd be trying at least 10.

openseas

WCA
2015PARK24
4/9 again! Fastest attempt. Put a bit more into memo so execution was quicker 51:24 (38:13). 2 corner execution errors (a slip and a bad comm). Forgot to execute parity on 1 and missed a flipped edge and a twisted corner in memo. Recall was perfect. Fairly happy.
With a full hour I'd be trying at least 10.

Yes, I can do 12, so you can. It's just a matter of how much to review. I'm trying to re-build stronger images/audios & clear rooms to make less review overall. I printed out all letter pairs and reviewed during the comp (while judging :), later, my son and BLD folks found that out - we all reviewed together comparing each other's images and letter pairs, had a fun time!

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes, I can do 12, so you can. It's just a matter of how much to review. I'm trying to re-build stronger images/audios & clear rooms to make less review overall. I printed out all letter pairs and reviewed during the comp (while judging :), later, my son and BLD folks found that out - we all reviewed together comparing each other's images and letter pairs, had a fun time!
I am still working on my pairs list but it's looking reasonable. I have 3 sets of rooms but the only solid one is the one I used today. I reviewed after 4 then in full after 8.
It would be nice to get up to 12 by my next comp. I have 2 months and over 20 attempts to get there.