• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Older cubers discussions

zslane

Forums make ongoing discussions much easier to follow, and they stick around for a long time giving them enduring value. Reddit and Facebook are much more immediate, like real-time conversations, and if you aren't part of them when they happen, then they might as well have not even happened because they just sort of disappear into the digital aether.

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
Facebook is actively harmful to society
Forums make ongoing discussions much easier to follow, and they stick around for a long time giving them enduring value. Reddit and Facebook are much more immediate, like real-time conversations, and if you aren't part of them when they happen, then they might as well have not even happened because they just sort of disappear into the digital aether.
One positive aspect of FB for me in general is it's a single, non-email place to keep in touch with a lot of my old friends (and some new) that are spread across the globe. I keep up with my distant friends from the 90s a lot more today than I did 15 years ago.

One positive of the Older Cubers FB group is it attracted a lot of over 40s that never visited this thread. The daily scrambles are fun, though that could be done anywhere.

I totally agree that forums have clear advantages in some departments though. I still keep my eyes on this thread even though it may lay dormant for months at a time.

vidcapper

I'm 55, and my fingers are just not flexible enough to do much in way of finger tricks, which is why I tend to concentrate on big cubes, although having said that, about 1 in 15 of my 3x3 solves is now below 1m.

Way back in the early 80s I did get a sub 1m on the dreaded Rubiks brand though. :p

povlhp

I'm 55, and my fingers are just not flexible enough to do much in way of finger tricks, which is why I tend to concentrate on big cubes, although having said that, about 1 in 15 of my 3x3 solves is now below 1m.

Way back in the early 80s I did get a sub 1m on the dreaded Rubiks brand though. :p
I am 54. But getting faster all the time. Most solves under 50s. And new PB @ 30.xx today. 5s faster than old. Too few solves are fast / timed.