• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Older cubers discussions

m.ipg21

I too had a rubiks cube when they came out loved and hated it... loved playing with it (did for a long while) but frustrated I could never solve it. I think I got 3/4 faces completed and could no more.... that was my approach... I've known people who could solve it and in the back of mind I was curious.

Then last year my 4 yr old comes across cubers on youtube and is fascinated... got him a cube and I was shocked by how could seem to repeat their finger moves.... got him more cubes (don't ask how many we have) because I love how he was developing his spatial reasoning. And I wanted to scaffold his ability: went from skewb, pyraminx duo, dinocube, spot cube... and he figured out the pyraminx by himself (every now and then he got a 2x2 and 2x2 mirror cube by himself).

We had 2x2 and 3x3 that we could not solve... a neighbor was nice enough to help us (learning from youtube). SO last Novermber I was determined to learn and sat myself to watch the WIRED magazine video... and in 3 hrs finished it. I was hooked, and took at step by step to understand beginners method... and then worked to help my son... and sure enough right before his 5th birthday (and his interest in cubes waning a little)... he did it!

we're hooked. We've been to competitions, connected with 7 yr olds (who are sharp for their age)... and now some of us parents support each other's cubing.

My goal is to be sub-1 minute consistently or better <40 seconds to qualify for the U.S. nationals... (or first get my son there).

And then I have crazy ideas of how I will evangelize cubing to teens and future maths teachers =)
[I'll see if I can teach my mom how to solve a 3x3, and my brother and niece.... ]

Glad to come across this thread (and community on facebook and github senior rankings) !!!

J41

I too had a rubiks cube when they came out loved and hated it... loved playing with it (did for a long while) but frustrated I could never solve it. I think I got 3/4 faces completed and could no more.... that was my approach... I've known people who could solve it and in the back of mind I was curious.

Then last year my 4 yr old comes across cubers on youtube and is fascinated... got him a cube and I was shocked by how could seem to repeat their finger moves.... got him more cubes (don't ask how many we have) because I love how he was developing his spatial reasoning. And I wanted to scaffold his ability: went from skewb, pyraminx duo, dinocube, spot cube... and he figured out the pyraminx by himself (every now and then he got a 2x2 and 2x2 mirror cube by himself).

We had 2x2 and 3x3 that we could not solve... a neighbor was nice enough to help us (learning from youtube). SO last Novermber I was determined to learn and sat myself to watch the WIRED magazine video... and in 3 hrs finished it. I was hooked, and took at step by step to understand beginners method... and then worked to help my son... and sure enough right before his 5th birthday (and his interest in cubes waning a little)... he did it!

we're hooked. We've been to competitions, connected with 7 yr olds (who are sharp for their age)... and now some of us parents support each other's cubing.

My goal is to be sub-1 minute consistently or better <40 seconds to qualify for the U.S. nationals... (or first get my son there).

And then I have crazy ideas of how I will evangelize cubing to teens and future maths teachers =)
[I'll see if I can teach my mom how to solve a 3x3, and my brother and niece.... ]

Glad to come across this thread (and community on facebook and github senior rankings) !!!
Loved reading this post!

elvitotoro

Hi, my Name is marco from swizerland, i am 55years old, best non official solution (17.4 seconds) and official best should (i have only been to one tournament) 27 seconds. I started half a year ago in the Rubik's Cube, and bought an original Rubik's Cube in a store. At that time I really thought it was so small ha ha ha. In the meantime I have over 400 litters in my range, my six-year-old daughter belongs to the top class of Swiss cow bringing, and we have already been in the newspaper and on television - well at least because of my Speedy Gonzalez six-year-old daughter. I love this sport and I do everything I can to make it available to a wide audience in my home country. If it were up to me, all young people would have to use only these dice - and not just their cell phones.

I am very happy to find people here, my age and a bit younger, who also love this sport and practice it with a lot of passion and love. Maybe there are some people here from Switzerland who can get in touch with me?

ThumbPunkt6.pngelena_telwe.jpeg

Sammlung 2.JPG

Elena.Mila.Papa.Sammlung.1.JPG

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I have over 400 litters in my range, my six-year-old daughter belongs to the top class of Swiss cow bringing
Welcome! I'm confused by this sentence, maybe there's a translation issue? I'm a dairy farmer (cubing is my "cheap" hobby) so anything with the word "cow" in it catches my attention.

freshcuber.de

WCA
2016FRIS02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi Marco, welcome here. I am almost your age and speed.
I found one of the articles/videos:
But I did not find the Kindergärtnerin :)

We have a german speaking WhatsApp group - and annother for cubers who are older than the Rubik's Cube:
If you like to join, please feel free to write me on WhatsApp.
Of course this is for all cubers who want to join our groups (in German). :)

Garf

WCA
2022TIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi, my Name is marco from swizerland, i am 55years old, best non official solution (17.4 seconds) and official best should (i have only been to one tournament) 27 seconds. I started half a year ago in the Rubik's Cube, and bought an original Rubik's Cube in a store. At that time I really thought it was so small ha ha ha. In the meantime I have over 400 litters in my range, my six-year-old daughter belongs to the top class of Swiss cow bringing, and we have already been in the newspaper and on television - well at least because of my Speedy Gonzalez six-year-old daughter. I love this sport and I do everything I can to make it available to a wide audience in my home country. If it were up to me, all young people would have to use only these dice - and not just their cell phones.

I am very happy to find people here, my age and a bit younger, who also love this sport and practice it with a lot of passion and love. Maybe there are some people here from Switzerland who can get in touch with me?

View attachment 29752View attachment 29753

View attachment 29751

View attachment 29750
uh... the only thing I can say is that is a lot of gans...