• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

number of "solved" positions for 4x4

i recently got an eastsheen 4x4 and 5x5 with super stickers and that got me thinking. how many solved positions are there for a 4x4? if you are looking at the individual peices and no just the color on the piece itself then there will certainly be more than just a couple.

im somewhat math illiterate so any1 wanna figure that out?

but does that only count the inside pieces? because i care about number of "solved" positions for there to be. if you know what i mean

Ellis

WCA
2008HALL02
I'm not completely sure what you're asking here. There is one solved position on a 4x4 supercube. For a regular 4x4, I think there are (4!^6) possible solved states, but that could definitely be wrong, so don't quote me on that

Last edited:

Ellis

WCA
2008HALL02
So you're just talking about the arrangement of indistinguishable center pieces in a solved state? I think it's 4!^6, unless someone wants to correct me. 191,102,976. Might not be right.

Last edited:

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So you're just talking about the arrangement of indistinguishable center pieces in a solved state? I think it's 4!^6, unless someone wants to correct me. 191,102,976. Might not be right.

(4!)^6 / 2

You have to divide that number in half because the parity of the center pieces (if they were distinguishable, as in a supercube) would have to match the, even, parity of the solved corners.

So if you solved your supercube disregarding the positions of the centers, and only making sure they were on the face with the correct color, then you could consider there to be 95 551488 solved states.

Chris

Ellis

WCA
2008HALL02

(4!)^6 / 2

You have to divide that number in half because the parity of the center pieces (if they were distinguishable, as in a supercube) would have to match the, even, parity of the solved corners.

So if you solved your supercube disregarding the positions of the centers, and only making sure they were on the face with the correct color, then you could consider there to be 95 551488 solved states.

Chris

Ah ok, thanks for clearing that up. I knew I was forgetting something. It makes sense now.