• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Not up to date with recent hardware, how has it changed?

Thom S.

I know this is probably a normal question you get, but are you sure yours isn't defective? My MGC is way faster then any volt I've ever tried, and I've never really had any popping problems at all. I think it might just be you, as pretty much every fast solver seems to use the MGC.
I looked at the individual pieces as I used the opportunity to turn a Ball-Core Sq1 into a Square-2, so I'd say mine was good.

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I was making a list of all the WCA events cubes I wanted to buy, and I've seen some reviews that say the Valk5 is better than the MGC, but also some people who like the MGC more, so I would say it's a mixed thing, and it's best to choose which cube you like more.
The Valk and MGC are tied, but I like the MGC way more (and so do a lot more people)
I have the MGC5, and I quite like it, but it does have strange + center pops. I'm sure everyone has preferences and the MGC is certainly viable, but all the fast solvers who average <55 seconds have told me that the Valk5 performs better. Of course, if you're not at 55 seconds (I am well over 30s slower than that), the MGC will not be holding you back in the slightest. And it has a better value as its nearly half the price of the Valk.

The Spark and MGC are almost tied, but I think the MGC
1) performs better
2) is ~$20 cheaper
3) corner cuts better
4) catches less often if you tighten it
Again, I have the MGC7 and I quite like it, but all the people who are sub 2:30 on 7x7 have told me that the Spark is the better performing cube. When you're at that speed, $20 for that extra little bit of performance is worth it, and I would even posit that if you're not at that speed you won't really be able to tell. If not, of course the MGC7 makes more sense given the price and its still excellent performance.

At an overall "which cube is better", I believe the MGC line wins out simply due to their performance coupled with price. But when purely looking at hardware performance, I have it on good authority that the Valk5 and the Spark are the better cubes. Now, of course there might be some fast people who disagree, but the majority of fast people I've talked to have told me such.

The Shadow V2M is miles behind the MGC, in terms of value and performance.
Good to know.

ender9994

WCA
2008GROM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
MGC is certainly viable, but all the fast solvers who average <55 seconds have told me that the Valk5 performs better.

Again, I have the MGC7 and I quite like it, but all the people who are sub 2:30 on 7x7 have told me that the Spark is the better performing cube.
Does Max no longer use the mgc line for 5x5 - 7x7?

I meant like ranking hardware by puzzle. Example =>

4x4 Tier List:
S | Aosu WRM, MGC
A | X-Man Ambition
B | Valk 4, RS4M
F | ZhiLong

And then do this for all of the other puzzles

I would also be interested in seeing someone make a breakdown of which cubes the top 10 solvers in each event used. Would be great to have in an easy to view spreadsheet.