• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Non-Cubers say the darndest things!

On a long train journey, Smashin' PBs one a stop
YouTube
Visit Channel
They get super proud of themselves after learning LBL, and say why am I doing cubing a lot, while its just one LBL trick, no point in wasting time.

They roll their eyes, when I say about advanced methods like CFOP,Roux and 3-style.
One example of these types of noncubers is my li'l brother. He always mocks me while I'm cubing.

Lol when I started cubing, I thought that LBL itself is CFOP and I thought that Feliks used LBL. I was proved wrong when J Perm showed a fast CFOP example solve with F2L in his method comparison video.
I couldn't even understand what comms are as a beginner. Now I can solve a cube using comms easily (Ofc not blindfolded lol)

Last edited:

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
One example of these types of noncubers is my li'l brother. He always mocks me while I'm cubing.

Lol when I started cubing, I thought that LBL itself is CFOP and I thought that Feliks used LBL. I was proved wrong when J Perm showed a fast CFOP example solve with F2L in his method comparison video.
I couldn't even understand what comms are as a beginner. Now I can solve a cube using comms easily (Ofc not blindfolded lol)
Imagine the amount of effort it will take to explain a non-cuber what 5-style is.

Even seasoned speedcubers have mistake understanding that algset.

For beginner's LBL = god's algorithm.

On a long train journey, Smashin' PBs one a stop
YouTube
Visit Channel
Imagine the amount of effort it will take to explain a non-cuber what 5-style is.

Even seasoned speedcubers have mistake understanding that algset.

For beginner's LBL = god's algorithm.
5 style is just 3 style but instead of 3 cycles, it is 5 cycles right ?
(Lol correct me if I'm wrong)
I know the effort needed to explain what comms are to a total noncuber

Last edited:
A few experiences I've had:

So I was playing football and this guy came up to me and asked, "Hey, is your name Ethan?" I said err yeah and then they replied "OH SO YOUR THE KID WHO'S F***** AMAZING AT THE RUBIES CUBE"

A lot of people come up to me and ask me if they can try and solve it. I say yeah sure, scramble it up for them and cringe as they try get a side for 5 minutes. Eventually, they give up and tell me to solve it. When I have, they snatch it back, do a move and say "hey, I bet I can solve this" then do the reverse.

When I'm spamming algs, people just watch me and when I stop they say WOW YOU SOLVE THAT IN LIKE ONE SECOND. Once someone said, naah their probably faking, their not Asian after all.

I can't really complain as they just don;t know but it all kinda gets on my nerves.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
A few experiences I've had:

So I was playing football and this guy came up to me and asked, "Hey, is your name Ethan?" I said err yeah and then they replied "OH SO YOUR THE KID WHO'S F***** AMAZING AT THE RUBIES CUBE"

A lot of people come up to me and ask me if they can try and solve it. I say yeah sure, scramble it up for them and cringe as they try get a side for 5 minutes. Eventually, they give up and tell me to solve it. When I have, they snatch it back, do a move and say "hey, I bet I can solve this" then do the reverse.

When I'm spamming algs, people just watch me and when I stop they say WOW YOU SOLVE THAT IN LIKE ONE SECOND. Once someone said, naah their probably faking, their not Asian after all.

I can't really complain as they just don;t know but it all kinda gets on my nerves.
Comebacks:
I would be worried if you couldn’t.
If they say they did it faster, do the same thing as them but even faster.

‘Mum they’re being racist’

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Before I learnt how to do 3BLD in 2014.
I used to trick people in solving cubes without looking by looking into a nearby glass and seeing the mirrored reflection of the cube image and doing a solve.

I have been able to fool a few non-cubers in this fashion, haha.

A mythical land filled with talking Ducks
WCA
2022MCCO11
Somebody asked me if I had a "Four-cube" yesterday, I didn't think non-cubers actually said that I assumed even an incompetent mind of a mere mortal could see it's a 2x2. The child also asked if he could solve mine, he then said he couldn't figure it out because there was no black on it, A.K.A stickerless. While scrambling it he asked me how many steps(???) I was doing. He then told his brother, "You just need to do Left, Right, Up, Down. He also questioned what the Fluffy Alligator method was! He even offered to trade his Rubik's brand 3x3 (which was the worst Rubik's brand cube I've ever turned) for my Valk Elite M. This was by far my cringiest encounter with a mor- non-cuber.

Last edited:
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Somebody asked me if I had a "Four-cube" yesterday, I didn't think non-cubers actually said that I assumed even an incompetent mind of a mere mortal could see it's a 2x2. The child also asked if he could solve mine, he then said he couldn't figure it out because there was no black on it, A.K.A stickerless. While scrambling it he asked me how many steps(???) I was doing. He then told his brother, "You just need to do Left, Right, Up, Down. He also questioned what the Fluffy Alligator method was! He even offered to trade his Rubik's brand 3x3 (which was the worst Rubik's brand cube I've ever turned) for my Valk Elite M. This was by far my cringiest encounter with a mor- non-cuber.

SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
"How fast can you solve that cube?"
"10 seconds"
"Show me"
*Solves cube in ten seconds*
"Ha, what a nerd"

Happened to me quite a few times before
that gets in my nerves.
but even worst is

- "how fast can you solve?"
- "16ish seconds"
- "wow! what's the world record?"
- "3seconds"
- "wow you're so slooow"

that's why I avoid solving the cube in front of people I don't know

CubeRed

I am the fastest cuber in class so people ask a bunch of questions to me now and then.
One time I was just casually solving my friends cube. A girl tells me she can do it in about 3 minutes. So I tell her my average and she is amazed (Common experience)
She wonders how hard it is (Combination-wise) and like any other cuber would do, I say 43 quintillion.
The next triggering thing she said was, "OH mY gOsh DO yOU meMorIzE eVerY sINglE cOmbiNations??" o.o
So I laugh at her face and explain the logics of us speedcubers.

Last edited: