• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Member Intro] New UK Cuber

DannyEarp

Hi everyone! I'm new to speedsolving and cubing in general, I will be turning 30 this year so I suppose I am a late bloomer in the cubing scene.

Here's a quick intro to how I got started...
I've been aware of the Rubik's cube and various other twisty puzzles for most of my life, but I was just never really interested in them, none of my friends had them, and I was mainly into video games. I've lived the vast majority of my life never having touched a Rubik's cube.

December 2017... My girlfriend's sister gets a knockoff cube for Christmas and upon being able to physically hold a puzzle cube for the first time I became obsessed with trying to solve it. It was really stiff and hard to turn (I still don't know who made it), and after a day of playing with it I'd only managed to solve a single face.

The cube was so horrible to turn I decided to go to the nearest toy shop and buy a "proper" Rubik's cube for £10. Probably about 3 days of messing around with it and I still could only solve a single face, so I gave in to the evils of YouTube and learnt the layer-by-layer beginners method. This is also the time when I came to learn about the cubing community and the various speedcubing products, up until now I'd assumed all cubes were inferior to Rubik's, especially since the first cube I tried was a shockingly poor knockoff and by comparison the Rubik's cube turned so smoothly... now imagine how I felt when I tried my first speedcube... it was a £1.99 Shengshou Legend and it blew the Rubik's away immediately.

I pretty much mastered the beginners method before Jan 2018 and have spent the time since then learning F2L the RiDo's Hunting Story way, after watching quite a lot of videos on F2L this video really made learning F2L a breeze and now I just have to get better with recognition and speeding up the intuitive parts of my solve. I can achieve a sub-60 with purely beginners method, however because I am only learning F2L my solves are barely sub-90 when I integrate F2L (Cross-F2L-Beginner's Last Layer).

MiaSponseller

WCA
2017SPON01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi everyone! I'm new to speedsolving and cubing in general, I will be turning 30 this year so I suppose I am a late bloomer in the cubing scene.

I've been aware of the Rubik's cube and various other twisty puzzles for most of my life, but I was just never really interested in them, none of my friends had them, and I was mainly into video games. I've lived the vast majority of my life never having touched a Rubik's cube.

December 2017... My girlfriend's sister gets a knockoff cube for Christmas and upon being able to physically hold a puzzle cube for the first time I became obsessed with trying to solve it. It was really stiff and hard to turn (I still don't know who made it), and after a day of playing with it I'd only managed to solve a single face.

The cube was so horrible to turn I decided to go to the nearest toy shop and buy a "proper" Rubik's cube for £10. Probably about 3 days of messing around with it and I still could only solve a single face, so I gave in to the evils of YouTube and learnt the layer-by-layer beginners method. This is also the time when I came to learn about the cubing community and the various speedcubing products, up until now I'd assumed all cubes were inferior to Rubik's, especially since the first cube I tried was a shockingly poor knockoff and by comparison the Rubik's cube turned so smoothly... now imagine how I felt when I tried my first speedcube... it was a £1.99 Shengshou Legend and it blew the Rubik's away immediately.

I pretty much mastered the beginners method before Jan 2018 and have spent the time since then learning F2L the RiDo's Hunting Story way, after watching quite a lot of videos on F2L this video really made learning F2L a breeze and now I just have to get better with recognition and speeding up the intuitive parts of my solve. I can achieve a sub-60 with purely beginners method, however because I am only learning F2L my solves are barely sub-90 when I integrate F2L (Cross-F2L-Beginner's Last Layer).
Welcome!

DannyEarp

Thanks for the warm welcomes!

Welcome, with practice you will be faster with F2L so keep using it Nd maybe learn 4lll, also get an MF3RS2, they are even better try other cubes like 4x4 and pyraminx if you want.

ukca.org
Not ukca.org.uk that is the UK cheerleading association.

Yea, I have noticed I am speeding up with certain instances I recognize better than others. My recognition is really what needs to improve, no way can I currently insert a pair whilst trying to track another haha. I have considered sitting and drilling OLL/PLL algs but to be honest I am going to wait until I have F2L down, and in the meantime check out a few of the "shortcut" LL methods I've seen posted around here.

As far as other cubes go... I got a Shengshou Legend and YJ Yulong from a UK puzzle website, mainly just to see how £2 cubes compared to a £10 Rubik's, when I was blown away by their performance I wanted to try a few better examples, but the UK puzzle websites are very low on stock whenever I happen to stop by... So I ordered about 8 cubes from The Cubicle to justify the UK shipping cost.

I may move onto higher order cubes and other shape puzzles but at the moment I still have a lot to learn when it comes to 3x3 so I will probably stick with it for the time being.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Welcome!

I usually order from Cubezz, since it has a large selection, cheap prices and free shipping. Shipping does take up to 4 weeks, but it's worth it for me. I'll order from the UK if I have a comp within the next month but usually I never need my cubes quickly.

cuber314159

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Norther...
WCA
2016EVAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Welcome!

I usually order from Cubezz, since it has a large selection, cheap prices and free shipping. Shipping does take up to 4 weeks, but it's worth it for me. I'll order from the UK if I have a comp within the next month but usually I never need my cubes quickly.
I usually order from magiccubemall as they usually have the same prices as cubezz including shipping and have a larger range and the shipping is faster, the cubicle is only really good for lubricants, Zcube I ok if you order alot

DannyEarp

the cubicle is only really good for lubricants

I haven't lubed a cube yet... all my solves so far have been raw!

A couple came pre-lubed but that quickly dried into a powdery dust that I had to clean off because it seized up the cubes.

FireCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel

What cube do you use?

DannyEarp

What cube do you use?

I don't really have a main cube and I haven't set any of them up either, so they all perform as they do out of the box. I probably spent a month on Rubik's cube before getting a Legend and a Yulong, then spent a month alternating between those two. At the moment I'm trying to improve my F2L by doing tons of solves, so I'm working through doing 100 solves on each cube I own, which are:
  • Legend
  • Yulong
  • Full-Closed 2
  • MF3RS
  • MF3RS2
  • Warrior W
  • Thunderclap 2
  • YAN3
My favourite so far is the MF3RS.
Least favourite; Yulong.
I haven't tried the YAN3 yet, it's still boxed.

You might find the older cubers thread of interest.

Yeah, I have noticed this thread but haven't read any of it because the page count is really daunting haha, do you recommend I just dive in and introduce myself or catch up on the previous 800 or so pages?