• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

New to cubing; get faster with minimal memorization

Zortwil

Hi, I just managed to memorize the beginners method algorithms about a day or 2 ago and was able to solve it without looking at the algorithms. Some practice and a ZhanChi later, I can now do about 1:50 to 2:40 solves. Any tips to get faster WITHOUT much memorization at all? Another method? Tips, tricks etc?

What I think I can improve on so far:

Cube familiarity(which side is what color)
Finger tricks(could probably fit more in)

Any tips for a complete beginner?

I used MathMeeting's tutorial if there is any difference. I think he solves the cross a bit differently.

Thanks!

Last edited:

JasonK

Premium Member
WCA
2011KILB01
At this stage, you can get a lot faster with literally nothing new at all. Just practising will improve your times dramatically.

If you want a better method though, look up an F2L tutorial. It can be done completely intuitively, no algorithms required.

elrog

YouTube
Visit Channel
If you really like intuition, I'd recommend learning Petrus and eventually Heise. Heise solves the cube completely using no algorithms. This is possible through commutators. I think you might find this video interesting.

ether

To be honest, there is nothing new you should learn here; just practicing should get you eventually to sub-1.

Devian

Learn F2L, you can do cross at bottom, then F2L and solve the LL with begginers method. Then you practice Look Ahead to improve your F2L.
My sister does it that way and average 45-50, without cubing so much. By this way you don't need to learn any algorithm.

aceofspades98

WCA
2013REYN01
Learn F2L, you can do cross at bottom, then F2L and solve the LL with begginers method. Then you practice Look Ahead to improve your F2L.
My sister does it that way and average 45-50, without cubing so much. By this way you don't need to learn any algorithm.
"Look ahead" can wait. Efficiency and recognition should be a main priority.

makssl6911

I highly reccomend you learn roux, since it's very intuetive and you can solve the cube with only 2 algs, but 9 is enough for you to get times of less than 20 seconds. You also wont be stuck with f2l habits(like most of us) from the fridrich method(f2l). Hope this helps you, and please consider roux. :)

Zortwil

Throwing acronyms at me already? xD

F2L seems to be more algorithms than intuition to me, I'd prefer something that doesn't seem to be based off of algorithms.

Petrus caught my eye when I was looking for other methods. Roux looks good too, but I kind of dislike how it goes all over the cube instead of focusing on one area and expanding.

I'm not at home and won't be for a bit, but my cube tension seems to be really off. I should probably tighten it.

Any tips for Petrus on avoiding breaking what is already done? Again, really new to this(I solved a 2x2 a few times I think :p).

Last edited: