• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

New Rubik's Speed Cube Problems

Whitebeard250

Hi. I am a beginner cuber and have been using the original Rubiks' cube, and I decided to purchase the Rubik's Speed Cube as my first speedcube, which arrived 30 minutes ago.
After unboxing and giving it a first try I was very disappointed.
The turning wasn't smooth at all, I felt lots of resistance when trying to turn the cube. It gets stuck a lot when turning. The pieces feel loose and kinda squish around when solving. I couldn't corner cut properly. Overall it just doesn't feel good or right. I feel better with my original rubik's cube.
This isn't the quality I expected or have seen from various video reviews.
Is there something I missed, or should do with the cube?
Like I said, I am beginner so I might be sounding really stupid.
Any help would be great, thanks much.

Last edited:

JaredRB9000

Hi. I am a beginner cuber and have been using the original Rubiks' cube, and I decided to purchase the Rubik's Speed Cube as my first speedcube, which arrived 30 minutes ago.
After unboxing and giving it a first try I was very disappointed.
The turning wasn't smooth at all, I felt lots of resistance when trying to turn the cube. It gets stuck a lot when turning. The pieces feel loose and kinda squish around when solving. I couldn't corner cut properly. Overall it just doesn't feel good or right. I feel better with my original rubik's cube.
This isn't the quality I expected or have seen from various video reviews.
Is there something I missed, or should do with the cube?
Like I said, I am beginner so I might be sounding really stupid.
Any help would be great, thanks much.
1) I don't mean to sound rude, but Rubik's hasn't made anything that any speedcuber likes, so it would be wise to simply stay away from the whole "Rubik's is the original so it's better than the rip-offs" thought process. MoYu and QiYi make good puzzles, so look around for that brand.
2) If their "speed" cube feels better than their OG, than it's weirdly tensioned, or just bad. And they aren't made to do cuts of any sort.
3) You don't sound stupid. I was in the same boat about a month and a half ago, when I was using a Rubik's 2.0.

The problem here is the rubik's speedcube simply isn't good. Get something actually good like the thunderclap which is pretty cheap.
This is 100% true. While the Rubik's Speed Cube is $20(horrendous), a QiYi Thunderclap is only $9. It was my first real speedcube, and is still a solid puzzle. I'd suggest you head to an online cube shop and pick one up.

Loiloiloi

WCA
2016CLAR04
1) I don't mean to sound rude, but Rubik's hasn't made anything that any speedcuber likes, so it would be wise to simply stay away from the whole "Rubik's is the original so it's better than the rip-offs" thought process. MoYu and QiYi make good puzzles, so look around for that brand.

The only case where this isn't true is clock lol

Whitebeard250

Thanks for the replies and help.
Maybe my Rubik's Speed Cube is weirdly tensioned or something; I know and heard it's not nearly as good as better speed cubes but this is beyond what I expected and saw in review videos...
anyway, I'm sticking with a cheap YJ Guanlong for now and ordering a MoYu some time soon I guess.

JaredRB9000

The only case where this isn't true is clock lol
I don't have a clock, so I wouldn't know.
Thanks for the replies and help.
Maybe my Rubik's Speed Cube is weirdly tensioned or something; I know and heard it's not nearly as good as better speed cubes but this is beyond what I expected and saw in review videos...
anyway, I'm sticking with a cheap YJ Guanlong for now and ordering a MoYu some time soon I guess.
You don't like the GuanLong over the Rubik's Speed? And buying a MoYu cube is a good idea, maybe get something like an OG Weilong.

Whitebeard250

JaredRB9000 said:
You don't like the GuanLong over the Rubik's Speed? And buying a MoYu cube is a good idea, maybe get something like an OG Weilong.
No, I definitely prefer the GuanLong, feels infinitely better. (I ordered both of them, GuanLong arrived the next day).
Only thing is it feels like a cheap block of plastic that can break or crack any moment(probably just me).

Ronxu

WCA
2010RONK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wrong. Rubik's clocks are much like the Rubik's speedcubes in that they tend to be hit and miss and even the decent ones need quite a bit of setting up and breaking in before they become good.

Setting up is literally just lubing and breaking in is a process that you go through with every cube. You're supposed to buy bunch of them at once and sell all of them except for the best one or be friends with someone who does this so you get the second best one.

Loiloiloi

WCA
2016CLAR04
Wrong. Rubik's clocks are much like the Rubik's speedcubes in that they tend to be hit and miss and even the decent ones need quite a bit of setting up and breaking in before they become good.
They're actually very easy to set up, you just put a heavy lube on all the pieces. Also, they're almost always better than any other clock because they have metal pins which other clocks lack.

Whitebeard250

Just watched some more video reviews on the Rubik's Speed Cube, for example the ones above.
In the videos the cube seems so much better; smooth fast turning, corner cuts etc.
But my cube is a stiff block of rock. I actually have to put effort into turning it, and corner cutting is basically non-existent.

Loiloiloi

WCA
2016CLAR04
Just watched some more video reviews on the Rubik's Speed Cube, for example the ones above.
In the videos the cube seems so much better; smooth fast turning, corner cuts etc.
But my cube is a stiff block of rock. I actually have to put effort into turning it, and corner cutting is basically non-existent.
Check out your mechanism, see what's going on with the internals. Post a pic if you can.

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel

There are two versions. One is the DIY version which is okay, and the other one is the non-DIY version, which is terrible. If you can't pop the center caps off and tension it, you have the non-DIY version.