• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

New Channel Announcement: ButteryCubes!

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
Nice unboxing! V-Cubes are ancient, but what's Cubesmith?
back then the stock stickers that came with cubes were terrible and dull so there were some companies that produced much higher quality stickers, cubesmith being well known and quite popular. nowadays stock stickers are usually good and stores like TC and SCS have their own sticker service.

I might make a video on it in Cubing Historian style. Just today I looked and found my original set of cubesmith stickers from 2010 so those will definitely be in the video. I even started writing a script for it. @EngiNerdBrian maybe you can help out and share your experience with them with me :)

Last edited:

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
I know there aren't people lining up to see the latest ButteryCubes video but I have been uploading my past videos roughly at one per week and I think that is a reasonable pace. It's been a few weeks since my last video so I'll try to get some more videos up because I enjoy making them.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
1/3 year channel retrospective time, because why not!

I didn't plan on doing so, but I've ended up uploading almost exactly every single week (like @Nmile7300). I'm not super focused on growth (as you can tell by what kind of videos I upload), but it seems like the channel grows somewhat consistently with this pattern. My other channel some of you may know I've uploaded sporadically to over the past eleven years, with no consistent uploads. Here is a breakdown by traffic course, which shows most people are finding my videos by actually searching rather than being suggested.

Screenshot from 2021-05-23 23-33-31.png

Youtube strangely has subscribers gained counter but not cumulative subscribers, but this is easy to make by exporting the numbers and putting them in a spreadsheet. The original subscribers are all from these forums, so I have to give a big thank you to my initial subscribers for jumpstarting the channel.

1621827616829.png

Some videos I expected to be popular, like my Tengyun magnet tutorial, which afaik was unique on youtube, and for some reason is much more popular than any other video. But honestly, I expected my old cube unboxings to be more popular. It seems like for some reason my RS3M 2020 fixing video was popular, maybe since ithad a good title? I thought the kilominx tutorial would be popular, but maybe people just don't care about kilominx.

Screenshot from 2021-05-23 23-19-48.png

I don't have enough data on this channel for age or gender demographics, but there is geography which doesn't really add up but is interesting nevertheless

Screenshot from 2021-05-23 23-43-28.png

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm one of those 19 indians lol
(Or probably all of those Indian views are mine)
I appreciate you watching my videos. I expected most of viewers to come from English-speaking countries, since that is what language my videos are in.

On a related note, I wonder how popular cubing is in India. The Indian youcubers I know of are Ram Thakkar, CubeLang (@abunickabhi), and Siddharth Ram. Well, I guess Shivam Bansal counts since he used to be MBLD WR (I think he and Mark Boyanowski were the first people to come up after Maskow's long reign.)

I also suspect cubing is hugely popular in China, but on their own sites instead of youtube. Fun fact: a lot of youtube videos for cubing and minecraft are reuploaded to china since they don't have access to youtube. This is CubeRoot's channel I think: https://space.bilibili.com/432490072 I see stuff from Stanley Chapel, J Perm, Monkey League, Livia Kleiner, Tingman, Z3 Cubing, just to name a few

Last edited:
On a long train journey, Smashin' PBs one a stop
YouTube
Visit Channel
I appreciate you watching my videos. I expected most of viewers to come from English-speaking countries, since that is what language my videos are in.

On a related note, I wonder how popular cubing is in India. The Indian youcubers I know of are Ram Thakkar, CubeLang (@abunickabhi), and Siddharth Ram. Well, I guess Shivam Bansal counts since he used to be MBLD WR (I think he and Mark Boyanowski were the first people to come up after Maskow's long reign.)

I also suspect cubing is hugely popular in China, but on their own sites instead of youtube. Fun fact: a lot of youtube videos for cubing and minecraft are reuploaded to china since they don't have access to youtube. This is CubeRoot's channel I think: https://space.bilibili.com/432490072 I see stuff from Stanley Chapel, J Perm, Monkey League, Livia Kleiner, Tingman, Z3 Cubing, just to name a few
In pre-covid times, cubing wasn't that popular here and afaik it was discouraged a lot by parents(parents here usually don't encourage activities that aren't studies, art or sports). It's only now that cubing is gaining popularity. Hopefully, by the time this covid **** is gone, there'll be a lot more cubers and comps here :D !!!

Last edited:

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
This is an admittedly lazy video before I upload my other unboxings.
I watched the BrodyTheCuber video on how to grow a channel, and while I agree with the general premise, I am in the small minority in that I like less edited videos with no music, so my videos reflect that. But if I really wanted to grow my channel I would surely edit more and put music to keep people interested. I have not decided if I want to do this at a later date.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel

@swburk

From description, since I want your guys' feedback:
Also in this video I tried to put more energy in my voice and cut out more video to shorten the video, although the video still ends up with mostly me talking. I don't like how my voice sounds in these videos and perhaps I should've edited more talking.

Last edited:

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I watched the BrodyTheCuber video on how to grow a channel, and while I agree with the general premise, I am in the small minority in that I like less edited videos with no music
My $0.02. I agreed with a lot of what Brody had to say and his advice would benefit a lot of channels who want to create and grow a channel similar to his. There were a few topics I just plain disagreed with for reasons that can only be called “creative differences.”

Like you said the unedited “raw” nature of some videos I really enjoy. I am personally a fan of long real time solving too-he recommended keeping things short and instantly engaging. While that’s just good general presentation advice it may not be the content some of us creators choose to produce. Our channels may not grow as fast but we’ll be producing videos in the style we want to see not just videos for the sake of maximum views.

That f/s with white plastic and the black outline around the stickers is one of the coolest 3x3s I’ve ever seen, such a great looking puzzle!

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
A difference is a lot of young youcubers make it their goal to get sponsored, while I feel like I am more of a collector in the vein of RPKVids than a general youcuber. To be sponsored I would need to be consistently making videos, which is something that I have been doing for the few months my channel has existed but not something I can guarantee. I am either working or studying full-time and maybe I don't have the motivation to make many videos, so I'll have to ditch the weekly uploads once I run out of ideas.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
I've felt really out of drive to create new videos now so I've been on a several week break. I always knew this would happen but I still feel kinda bad for not making videos, even though I barely have an audience.