• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

NCP - A CP-Less ZBLL Recognition System!

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi all,

A few months ago I was investigating and comparing ZBLL recognition systems, and took what I learned to "make" this system to simplify the amount of things someone needs to learn to recog ZBLL, and also try to make recognizing sune and antisune (S/A) ZBLLs easier, along side other benefits.

NCP stands for No CP, pretty self explanatory lol.

If you are reading this, what likely got your attention is the fact that this recog system does not need CP recognition at all!

In my mind, this system is to the Baum-Harris (BH) system as Colemak is to QWERTY. This system is essentially a different application of BH.
If you are not familiar with BH, I'll link a quick explainer video as well as an explainer for this system for those who prefer a video format.

So how does this work?
Let's start with an example. Take a solved cube and do: R U2 R' U' R U' R' (inverse of sune). This should have the oriented corner in the UFL postition. Let's choose this as the recognition angle for all sune cases for now and assume we are only going to learn one recognition angle for each OCLL set.

Step 1: AUF to your recognition angle (this partial step is not needed if you learn to recog from any angle) and identify the OCLL (sune, antisune, T, U etc).

This step reduces the possible cases from the full 493 cases to 1/72 or 1/21 if you get O ZBLL (PLL).

Step 2: Look at the BH pattern formed around the UFL corner. There are 36 unique patterns, formed from each unique pattern/AUF of EPLL + the orientation of the corner. For example, the solved case generates 3 BH patterns because the corner can be solved/oriented or twisted in place clockwise or anticlockwise. If this still doesn't make sense watch the videos!

This step then reduces the case to 1/6 cases as each CP set of an OCLL set of ZBLL will have exactly one case that has that BH pattern around the same corner relative to the OCLL shape.

Traditional BH uses CP identification to reduce the possible cases to 1/12 instead.

Step 3: Look at the BH pattern formed around the UFR corner. This will then identify which case you have!

This 3rd step can be modified as desired. You just need to be able to identify which of the 6 possible cases you have. I think using BH recog a second time is useful since it minimizes the amount of things one needs to learn since the system is purely BH pattern-based, and the UF edge is shared between each BH recog.

Pros:

No need to learn how to recognize CP for each OCLL, just BH pattern which can be transitioned into with mental twisting
Even greater consistency with where you look compared to BH since CP isn't recognized using the same stickers for each OCLL
Learning multi-angle recognition is improved, just learn one angle and the U2 angle and you can use part of each AUF recog for the in between AUFs
Recognition can be shared across sets depending on the angles you choose, and recognition angles can be used to optimize the learning process of multi-angle recog

Cons:

3-Sided recog, not too big a deal imo esp since a lot of cubers already do this anyway
The usefulness of this decreases with the ease of CP recog; designed to make S/A recog easier, not as useful for H/P since CP is free

I think this system would work well on it's own or in conjunction with traditional BH for sets like H/P where CP recog is so easy.

Conclusion:

I searched the forum and ZZ sites for any discussions about CP-less ZBLL recog and did not find anything, but if this has already been proposed please link a source! I don't want to take credit for something someone invented a decade ago that I just didn't see documented, which is why I called this NCP which is self-explanatory vs putting my name on it.

BH:

NCP:

--------------------------------------------

Extra Example
Ideally use 2 cubes and use the following set ups to follow along

Set Up 1: R U R' U R' U' R2 U' R2 U2 R

Set Up 2: R' U2 R' D' R U2 R' D R U' R U' R' U2 R U'

Assume standard sune exec angle to be the the recog angle chosen*

Step 1: AUF to the recog angle and identify the OCLL, in this case there are 2 sune ZBLLs so U AUF to the recog angle

Step 2: Look at the EPLL/BH pattern around UFL (in this case, the oriented corner). These cases both have double opposites, or an H perm pattern around the oriented corner. This now reduces the case to being one of 6 possible cases

Step 3: Look at the EPLL/BH pattern around the UFR corner to then determine which of the 6 possible cases you have. If you have 2 cubes with the 2 set ups applied you will see that they have the same H perm pattern around the oriented corner, but have different patterns around the UFR corner

Last edited: