• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

My nervousness level becomes 10,000 when I am about to begin a timed solve

Here I am not talking about competitions. I average between 28 to 35 secs and still when I am about to begin a timed solve, my hands start shaking and i get too nervous. according to me no one gets so nervous as me. And it is not even competiton. It is jst a practice timed solve that too alone. still why do i get soooo nervous? Please help me.

Here I am not talking about competitions. I average between 28 to 35 secs and still when I am about to begin a timed solve, my hands start shaking and i get too nervous. according to me no one gets so nervous as me. And it is not even competiton. It is jst a practice timed solve that too alone. still why do i get soooo nervous? Please help me.
I think your problem is that you don't have much experience timing your solves, you should definitely practice more to get used to it, or during your solves, you might be expecting too high on each solve and start to turn very roughly.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Maybe just get yourself into the mindset of saying your solves don’t matter, it’s just a hobby, and even if you get bad times it’s fine.
Try doing untimed solves and find out what makes you so nervous going to timed, and focus on that.

Plus, try listening to music while you solve, or mindlessly spam algorithms before the solve.

Edit: And you could try timing solves you don’t care about - just time a really, slow, intentional solve, or like an OH solve, then go to 3x3.

Maybe just get yourself into the mindset of saying your solves don’t matter, it’s just a hobby, and even if you get bad times it’s fine.
Try doing untimed solves and find out what makes you so nervous going to timed, and focus on that.

Plus, try listening to music while you solve, or mindlessly spam algorithms before the solve.

Edit: And you could try timing solves you don’t care about - just time a really, slow, intentional solve, or like an OH solve, then go to 3x3.
huh I never tried incorporating music into my solves, although I occasionally listen to them.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
huh I never tried incorporating music into my solves, although I occasionally listen to them.
I think I said this a while back but I listen to Audible stories while I solve. It may seem distracting, but really, it actually helps a lot because you’re sort of semi focused on the story, which leads to me solving, as Max Park says, without thinking. So I don’t focus too hard on the solve, or divert too little focus.

I think your problem is that you don't have much experience timing your solves, you should definitely practice more to get used to it, or during your solves, you might be expecting too high on each solve and start to turn very roughly.
it is not that i time my solves less frequently. I have been timing my solves since i was averaging about 1:40 secs. Only then i know that i average between 28 to 35 now.

i think that my problem is that i expect high. Like whenever i am solving i see what the time is. if it is higher than what i can do, i get panicked. if it is what i usually do or it is better than my expectation, then everything goes fine

Mischiiii

I know that feeling. I feel the same. Im also stuck between 28 and 35 seconds. I know Full pll and full oll. But I stopped improving since the beginning of the year. I just stopped timing and just solve casually. A friend once was the same speed as me but while i stopped improving hes around 13 secs.

I know that feeling. I feel the same. Im also stuck between 28 and 35 seconds. I know Full pll and full oll. But I stopped improving since the beginning of the year. I just stopped timing and just solve casually. A friend once was the same speed as me but while i stopped improving hes around 13 secs.
We both are quite similar! You wont believe me, i am sub 35 for over 3 months now, and still i havent improved by even a secind or 2. Only these days i see a little improvement.

here i have one more problem : My hands always shake while timed solves. Because of that i either get and f2l pair wrong or mess up an alg. Any helps?

here i have one more problem : My hands always shake while timed solves. Because of that i either get and f2l pair wrong or mess up an alg. Any helps?
Try to control your turning, turn slowly if you have to, and at your level, concentrate on the pair that you're currently doing, but that habit might be bad at the higher levels of cubing where you average around sub-20 or sub 15.

aoaaceai

WCA
2019LINS01
Gone through that phase too. I avg 13 at that time and every time I competed with friends it went up to 15.
That didn't get better until I started to involve in comp organizing. I started to worry more about the schedule and some backstage stuff.
Then my time went nose dive to like, 11 or 10.

One advice I can give is that don't think about the solve. Try to clear your mind before competing. Or if you can't, just flood yourself with things other than the current round lol.

SenorJuan

Time some intentionally slow solves, then there won't be the self-imposed pressure, as you know the times will be slower ( though they may actually be much quicker than you think .... )
Time partial solves, eg. first two layers if using CFOP. Then you know that you won't be getting any records/PB's , just technical DNF's, (unless you get a LL skip of course).