• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

My experience with Maglev and Core Magnets

Dan the Beginner

Premium Member
I have been playing with a Moyu WRM 2021 Maglev for a few weeks and comparing it to a standard WRM 2021. Then I also replaced the latter's springs with the Cubicle's maglev magnets to see what improvements I could get. I also have the Cubicle's core magnet conversion kit, which I used to upgrade the cubes. I hope what I found would be of interest.

Maglev does have a benefit. I was skeptical before, but I can see a clear difference in smoothness, as the turns become more frictionless. The WRM 2021 Maglev actually feels similar to the Tornado V2 when turned. There is also the expected improvement in noise. Both WRM with maglev magnets are more enjoyable to solve. The Tornado V2 is still quieter though. The main downside, for me, is 6 extra grams in weight. This may not be an issue for others, but it is not trivial for me. They are 84g and I can feel the effect as my fingers get sore quicker than with the Tornado (72g). I do like the WRM 2021 Maglev edition, with that subtle purple colour.

Core magnets are a different story. There is definitely an effect, a very subtle effect, so subtle it is hard to tell what it is doing to performance. This may be due to my skills (Beginner), my turning style or speed. Comparisons with another WRM 2021 with no core magnets did not convince me there is any real benefit. I was hoping that a WRM with both Maglev and Core Magnets would be fantastic, but that's not what I found. The cube weighs 89g with all those magnets, which is clearly too much for me. By the way, the information on The Cubicle's site for the Yoo Cube Deluxe is almost certainly wrong, I think. It should be 89g and not 85g. I also have a Gan Mini M Pro, which has core magnets (factory installed and designed for the unit) and which also has not convinced me of their benefit. So, I removed the core magnets from the WRM.

At this time, I am very happy with the WRM 2021 Maglev and I choose it often, from two other favourites of mine, the Tornado V2 and the Moyu AI Cube (modified with pieces swapped from a standard WRM 2021 to get magnet adjustment). This photo shows the ones I still have after giving away many others. I think I should stop buying more cubes. ;)

My Favourite Cubes.jpg

From left to right, top to bottom, the modified Moyu AI Cube, WRM 2021 Maglev, WRM 2021 with Moyu AI Cube's pieces, Gan Mini M Pro, Tornado V2, Tornado V2, Tornado V2 Primary Colour, Tengyun M, Guhong V3. All 55mm or under.

Last edited:

Garf

WCA
2022TIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have been playing with a Moyu WRM 2021 Maglev for a few weeks and comparing it to a standard WRM 2021. Then I also replaced the latter's springs with the Cubicle's maglev magnets to see what improvements I could get. I also have the Cubicle's core magnet conversion kit, which I used to upgrade the cubes. I hope what I found would be of interest.

Maglev does have a benefit. I was skeptical before, but I can see a clear difference in smoothness, as the turns become more frictionless. The WRM 2021 Maglev actually feels similar to the Tornado V2 when turned. There is also the expected improvement in noise. Both WRM with maglev magnets are more enjoyable to solve. The Tornado V2 is still quieter though. The main downside, for me, is 6 extra grams in weight. This may not be an issue for others, but it is not trivial for me. They are 84g and I can feel the effect as my fingers get sore quicker than with the Tornado (72g). I do like the WRM 2021 Maglev edition, with that subtle purple colour.

Core magnets are a different story. There is definitely an effect, a very subtle effect, so subtle it is hard to tell what it is doing to performance. This may be due to my skills (Beginner), my turning style or speed. Comparisons with another WRM 2021 with no core magnets did not convince me there is any real benefit. I was hoping that a WRM with both Maglev and Core Magnets would be fantastic, but that's not what I found. The cube weighs 89g with all those magnets, which is clearly too much for me. By the way, the information on The Cubicle's site for the Yoo Cube Deluxe is almost certainly wrong, I think. It should be 89g and not 85g. I also have a Gan Mini M Pro, which has core magnets (factory installed and designed for the unit) and which also has not convinced me of their benefit. So, I removed the core magnets.

At this time, I am very happy with the WRM 2021 Maglev and I choose it often, from two other favourites of mine, the Tornado V2 and the Moyu AI Cube (modified with pieces swapped from a standard WRM 2021 to get magnet adjustment). This photo shows the ones I still have after giving away many others. I think I should stop buying more cubes. ;)

View attachment 18898
I just remembered, you swapped the edges on the WRM 2021 and the Weilong Bluetooth cube.
On a serious note: I think maglev and core-magnets don't really change performance, at least for me.

Dan the Beginner

Premium Member
do u have other maglevs?
No, only these two, this WRM 2021 Maglev and another standard WRM 2021 which I upgraded with maglev magnets from The Cubicle.

I know there are a few other maglev cubes but none of them are suitable for me, being either too big or too heavy for my small and weak hands. I have got rid of all my cubes that are bigger than 55mm. I found that 55 or 54mm are optimal for me, and also 85g is the absolute maximum weight I can handle.

Kaiju_cube

I agree the 2021 Maglev is great. I reach for it often as well.

Lately I really seem to use a Valk more than anything. I really didn't like it at first and thought it was too stiff but it's so broken in and smooth now it's really great. I think it's an underrated cube because it does take breaking in. It is not good right out of the box.

Dan the Beginner

Premium Member

Lately I really seem to use a Valk more than anything. I really didn't like it at first and thought it was too stiff but it's so broken in and smooth now it's really great. I think it's an underrated cube because it does take breaking in. It is not good right out of the box.
One of the things I discovered quite early is that cubes need breaking in and that makes a very big difference. I wonder why there are so many "reviews" when conclusions were made shortly after opening the box with a brand new cube, and usually without careful setting up after hundreds of solves.

I wonder how many also do what I have discovered. I now do this to any new cube to ensure a proper break-in, which makes any cube better. I deliberately warp the cube a little while holding it in one hand firmly and turn the other side forcibly, grinding literally the surfaces that touch, back and forth with my wrist, about 50 times. I do it for all the 24 faces. It takes an hour or so and also readjusting the settings as well as lubrication afterwards. That sounds rough, with a lot of crunching and crackling noise, but it does wonders for improving smoothness and corner cutting for many cubes, esp those with poorer quality. I did this the first time to a Diansheng S3M because I was not impressed by that cube, due to how sandy and rough turning it was. The improvement made was particulary great, I now do it to all my favourite cubes.

Last edited:

OtterCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
One of the things I discovered quite early is that cubes need breaking in and that makes a very big difference. I wonder why there are so many "reviews" when conclusions were made shortly after opening the box with a brand new cube, and usually without careful setting up after hundreds of solves.

I wonder how many also do what I have discovered. I now do this to any new cube to ensure a proper break-in, which makes any cube better. I deliberately warp the cube a little while holding it in one hand firmly and turn the other side forcibly, grinding literally the surfaces that touch, back and forth with my wrist, about 50 times. I do it for all the 24 faces. It takes an hour or so and also readjusting the settings as well as lubrication afterwards. That sounds rough, with a lot of crunching and crackling noise, but it does wonders for improving smoothness and corner cutting for many cubes, esp those with poorer quality. I did this the first time to a Diansheng S3M because I was not impressed by that cube, due to how sandy and rough turning it was. The improvement made was particulary great, I now do it to all my favourite cubes.

You have a very careful approach to reviewing cubes, which is great. I think most reviews just look at the out-of-box quality, because you can still get a sense of how good a cube is without the proper setup. That said, my comment applies only to newer, modern cubes, which are all pretty good out-of-the-box anyway.

Dan the Beginner

Premium Member
You have a very careful approach to reviewing cubes, which is great. I think most reviews just look at the out-of-box quality, because you can still get a sense of how good a cube is without the proper setup. That said, my comment applies only to newer, modern cubes, which are all pretty good out-of-the-box anyway.
Thanks. I have low tolerances, with weight, size, smoothness (effort required to turn), due to my age and therefore have to be more careful. Most reviewers are young and also extremely skilful and experienced, and hence can tolerate much more. So, for some beginners, it makes sense to also consider opinions of people like me, beginners and less experienced people, those with different requirements than top speedcubers. That's why I offer my comments and impressions on cubes, as they might also be helpful for those with limited idea about cubes. In addition, I am also not sponsored and I do not get free cubes, or anything from publishing, and just comment truthfully based on what I can tell, but that's another issue separate from this.

J41

Yep - I've never hated a cube out of the box more than the Valk Elite, but I absolutely love it now.

--

Thanks again for your thoughts, Dan - always interesting.

OtterCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks. I have low tolerances, with weight, size, smoothness (effort required to turn), due to my age and therefore have to be more careful. Most reviewers are young and also extremely skilful and experienced, and hence can tolerate much more. So, for some beginners, it makes sense to also consider opinions of people like me, beginners and less experienced people, those with different requirements than top speedcubers. That's why I offer my comments and impressions on cubes, as they might also be helpful for those with limited idea about cubes. In addition, I am also not sponsored and I do not get free cubes, or anything from publishing, and just comment truthfully based on what I can tell, but that's another issue separate from this.
Good point. The target market age group is primarily young people, so we're kind of left to discovering these things for ourselves. Keep up the great work.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
It's that catch-22 in many hobbies - the reviewers are experienced because you wouldn't watch a beginner reviewer, but the people who make up the majority are beginners. Some people have criticized SCS in the TC vs SCS debate thread for being too beginner oriented, but that is the bulk of their customer base.

Garf

WCA
2022TIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
try the gan12 maglev uv
its very light, i think only 66 grams compared to weilong 81 (i think)
you can also adjust the magnets and tensions, but the bad thing about the cube is that it costs quite a bit
But why get a Gan 12 M Maglev for 70+ dollars when you can get a WRM 2021 Maglev with PURPLE internals for only 30+ dollars?

Dan the Beginner

Premium Member
try the gan12 maglev uv
its very light, i think only 66 grams compared to weilong 81 (i think)
you can also adjust the magnets and tensions, but the bad thing about the cube is that it costs quite a bit
Thanks. Although I can afford Gan cubes, I am not sure after my first Gan, the Mini M Pro, as that was a disappointing experience. Besides, I have smaller hands and have decided to use only cubes 55mm or smaller. In addition, I read more than one review about the strange way the Gan 12 Maglev turns or feels. So, I will stay away but may consider a Gan in future. As mentioned, core magnets, Gan's unique selling point, make little difference to me. The Moyu Maglev OTOH is doing everything I wanted well, except for its lack of smart features, which is in Moyu's AI Cube and they are very helpful and convenient. YMMV of course. So, I still use the Moyu AI cube (modified with pieces swapped from WRM 2021) more, even though the WRM Maglev is quieter and smoother. These two are my favourites, with Tornado V2 now a close third.

Last edited: