• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Monitoring your progress when learning 1-look-OLL

JL58

With my limited excel skills I developed this excel file to monitor my progress as I try to go from 2 LOLL to 1 LOLL - a tedious task with not much reward if you're not sub 20 :(
As I was using it more and more I thought it might be of interest for some people in a similar case as mine.

It basically lists all the 58 OLL cases, allows you to rename them, enter your favorite algorithm for each case and mention whether you already know each of them or not.

From that it computes various stats (like the average OLL turns, the average number of looks, etc.) and provides an elegant :rolleyes: color coding for better differentiate the learned cases from the others.

The original configuration is assuming that you already know the 9 basic OLLs for a 2 look solve (which should be called 1.8 look OLL to be perfectly accurate)

edit Jan 17, 2010
- Corrected the double headlight alg typo
- Change the color formatting
- Added a few case names

View attachment OLL v2.zip

Tell me what you think?

For those who like to tinker with excel the password is "oll".

Attachments

• OLL.zip
    33.3 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

JL58

To Cyrus: Yes it includes probabilities. It actually the main reason I developed it - to learn the ones that had the biggest impact first.

To F1Z2L3: I'd love to. I suggest that we let others comment for a few days on mine (for bug fixing and improvements) and we'll do it.

Rook

Oh wow, this is great. Now I know that I've learned 27 OLL's and not just some random ones here and there. The probability of occurrence is also nice since I can learn the more frequent cases first.

Just a quick typo I found: case 52 (opposite headlights) is a broken algorithm. You wrote R U R' U R U' R U2. It should be R U R' U R U' R' U R U2 R'. Then again, everyone should probably know the case already. I just wanted to point that out.

I have a suggestion: once you learn a case and mark it as learned, not only does the case name become green, but the whole area (name, picture, algorithm, etc.) becomes green. That way, it becomes much easier to see what you still have to learn and you won't be accidentally reading things you've learned. I have very little Excel knowledge, so I have no clue how to do that automatically. I just manually fill them in.

28spixf.jpg

^Something like that

Once again, great.

~Rook

Last edited:

JL58

Rook, thanks for the typo warning. I'll correct it. I will also work on the coloring. Good idea!

Feryll

Very handy! Maybe we should make a PLL one, too. This will make my full OLL a lot easier!

JL58

I updated a few things:
- the color formatting (the whole case switches to green when learned)
- the double headlight alg is right (I think)
- I unlock the cube pictures allowing rotation if you decide to change the angle for a different alg.

I am thinking of adding something for PLLs. Not too sure what the metrics should be. I am thinking of "current turn average versus optimum". I think this would assume that PLL "students" come from a U/A only knowledge for a 2 look PLL. I am not sure this is the way it works in reality (I can't remember what process I used). I can certainly include a concept of timing where one would enter its typical time for a PLL and the tool would compute an average based on probability of occurrence. I also think PLLs is a field where one tries several algs and decide to pick one over the others. Therefore the idea of listing up to 3 algs per PLL could be useful. Any comment is welcome.

blakedacuber

Premium Member
WCA
2010BOWE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
With my limited excel skills I developed this excel file to monitor my progress as I try to go from 2 LOLL to 1 LOLL - a tedious task with not much reward if you're not sub 20 :(
As I was using it more and more I thought it might be of interest for some people in a similar case as mine.

It basically lists all the 58 OLL cases, allows you to rename them, enter your favorite algorithm for each case and mention whether you already know each of them or not.

From that it computes various stats (like the average OLL turns, the average number of looks, etc.) and provides an elegant :rolleyes: color coding for better differentiate the learned cases from the others.

The original configuration is assuming that you already know the 9 basic OLLs for a 2 look solve (which should be called 1.8 look OLL to be perfectly accurate)

edit Jan 17, 2010
- Corrected the double headlight alg typo
- Change the color formatting
- Added a few case names

View attachment 730

Tell me what you think?

For those who like to tinker with excel the password is "oll".

TThnks man i saved that!you should make pll version aswel it would be a good idea as many people who are learning full olll probably dont know full pll

JL58

There's an incredibly tight limitation on the size of zip files on this forum. I am working on a tool version for PLL's. I cannot get it down to 97Kb. Is there any reason we cannot get it up to a few 100's of Kb (let alone to useful size of a few 10's of Mb...)?

Xirsch

Sorry if the answer is really simple, but how do I rotate the images? And did you also enable this with the PLLs?

josmil1

Sorry if the answer is really simple, but how do I rotate the images? And did you also enable this with the PLLs?

Open the file, then click on the image of the alg that you want to change. Then the rotating imaging tools pop up, then just rotate to your liking.