• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Review] Meilong 4x4 and 4x4M Review - vs Yuxin Little Magic 4x4M?

How do you rate this cube

• Total voters

Zain_A24

YouTube
Visit Channel
This is my review of the Meilong 4x4 and 4x4M. How does it compare to other budget options on the market?

This is my first review of a 4x4.
The following review of the Meilong 4x4 and my home-magnetised version. The review will be split into 2 main sections:
  • Review of the store – Cubezz.com
  • Review of the cube – Meilong 4x4/ Meilong 4x4 M
  • Out-of-the-box (OOTB)
  • Lube + Tension
  • Break-in
  • Magnetisation
  • Performance Analysis
  • Final Thoughts

Review of Store
General Info
Name – Cubezz
Linkcubezz.com

This cube is currently $6.55 from cubezz.com with free shipping. This product arrived in great condition – as expected – and I could tell Cubezz took care in ensuring this product arrived promptly, arriving after 14 days,which as within their suggested shipping time to the UK. Their customer service was great, I queried with regards to their shipping times and was provided a detailed and informative response within 24 hours through both their email [email protected] and their website’s messaging system. I will definitely be purchasing from them in future.

Review of the cube
General Info
Name – Meilong 4x4 (plus magnetised version)
Price - $6.55
Link - https://cubezz.com/Buy-6020-Cubing+Classroom+Meilong+4x4x4+Magic+Cube+Stickerless.html
Size – 59mm
Weight – 101 grams

Initial Reactions – Out of the Box
Immediately upon removing the cube from its box I realised it is a very compact 4x4. At only 59mm, this cube is smaller than regular 4x4’s, such as the as the 62mm Wuque as well as some mini 4x4’s. It features fairly regular stickerless shades, with their bright red and paler green. I personally like the frosted plastic texture of the cube.

Upon turning I experienced frequent lockups. My inaccurate turning and inexperience with 4x4’s may have added to this, but I saw potential. The tensioning out of the box was fairly tight, but I prefer this over receiving a cube with loose tensions since pops are not easily corrected by beginners and tensions can be easily modified.

I began with a few solves and algorithms and I really enjoyed the effortless and smooth turning of this puzzle. Despite this being my first 4x4, I could tell the turning of this puzzle was above average, impressive bearing in mind this cube is only $6.55. The inner layers were slower than the outer layers but I was sure that this would go away after lubricating and breaking in. I was aware that performance would change drastically by loosening the tensions, but I did a few solves to accurately gauge the performance before setup to compare after setup.

Summary before setup:
  • Very compact
  • Like the frosted plastic
  • Tensions tight OOTB
  • Very smooth

Setup
To setup this cube, I used 50,000 cst Silicone Differential Oil, which I think is equivalent to Traxxas 50K since it is what’s readily available in the UK at my local hobby store and online. I decided to leave magnetising for later and assess the performance both with and without magnets for direct comparison.

After setup, this cube is phenomenal. I have no other 4x4’s to compare this to, but the cube is effortless to turn and, as anticipated, the lockups minimised drastically compared to out of the box. With the looser tensions, corner cutting improved and the lubricant removed friction between the frosted pieces, increasing its speed and durability. The inner layers are now much faster due to the lube. I scrambled the cube as 2x2 and as a 3x3 and did some solves, since as a beginner I would be unable to accurately measure the performance of this cube with slow turning.

Summary
  • Lubricated core and springs with 50,000cst Diff Oil
  • Small amount of lube on pieces
  • Loosened tensions by half turn on all sides
  • Did a few solves to break in the lube
  • Increased corner cutting and speed
  • Lockups are now rare and due to my own inaccurate turning
  • Reduced friction between pieces
  • Inner layers now similar to outer

Break In
After a few hundred 4x4 solves, this cube is still going strong. The puzzle, as expected, is improving with break in and lube lasts very long in this cube. The cube has a more consistent feel throughout the layers, and I am yet to experience any pops.

Magnetisation
To magnetise this cube, I used 48 4x2 N35 in the inner layers and 48 4x1 N35 in the outer layers. This is the first cube I have magnetised and was aware the magnets in the inner layers of even NxN puzzles have to be doubled in order for the polarities to be correct. I took care in ensuring the magnets were pushed as deep within the edge pieces as possible to prevent the cube from feeling “clacky” as the magnets were closer to the core.

After magnetisation, I did several more solves to analyse the cube’s performance. Due to the magnets providing extra stability, I was able to loosen the tensions by a further eight of a turn, thus improving cornercutting.

This cube is now even better than before with improved cornercutting, speed and stability. Despite my inexperience with 4x4, I can see some intermediate and possibly some higher-level speed solvers using this in competitions. Even at these looser tensions, I am yet to experience a pop and lockups are rare and due to my own inaccurate turning.

Final Thoughts
At only $6.55, this cube is supposed to be aimed at beginner 4x4 speedsolvers. I had seen very positive reviews of this product from Speedcubereview and CoachTabe, who also magnetised theirs and were impressed with the results. Receiving the product for myself, I was surprised at the performance of this cube from out of the box, as well as how the smaller size can be so beneficial to the handling of this cube. As the first 4x4 I currently own, I will definitely not need an upgrade in hardware for a while. If you haven’t already bought this product – what are you doing? I would definitely recommend picking up even as a higher-level speed solver since it’s inexpensive and very good. For 4x4 speedcubers who are interested in magnetising and setting up their own puzzle, this is the perfect base cube to start with.

Thank you for reading all the way to the end of this long review. Many thanks to cubezz.com for their customer service as well as speedsolving.com for their constant support. Please let me know if you would like me to do more reviews like this as well as which cube you would like me to do by replying below and I will try my best to read through them. I am aware different people have used different magnets and I would love to hear what magnets others have used and whether they worked well in their cubes. Also feel free to provide your opinion on your favourite budget 4x4 as well as experiences you have had with your cube stores in general.

I’ll finish this post with a few questions:

• Who is currently using this cube as their main?
  • How do you setup your 4x4’s or big cubes in general?
  • How does this cube compare to:
  • Yuxin Little Magic 4x4M
  • YJ Yusu V2 M
  • Shengshou Mr M 4x4
  • What magnets have you used in your Meilong 4x4?
  • Which cubes will you like me to review in the future?
  • What upcoming cubes are you most excited about?

Last edited:
WCA
2023FUKU01
Magnetisation
To magnetise this cube, I used 48 4x2 N35 in the inner layers and 48 4x1 N35 in the outer layers. This is the first cube I have magnetised and was aware the magnets in the inner layers of even NxN puzzles have to be doubled in order for the polarities to be correct. I took care in ensuring the magnets were pushed as deep within the edge pieces as possible to prevent the cube from feeling “clacky” as the magnets were closer to the core.
Do you mean 4*2 n35 in outers and 4*1 in inners? Are the inner layer magnets noticeably stronger than the outer layer magnets?

Zain_A24

YouTube
Visit Channel
Do you mean 4*2 n35 in outers and 4*1 in inners? Are the inner layer magnets noticeably stronger than the outer layer magnets?

I used 4x2mm in the inner and 4x1 in the outers. The inner layers need to have stronger magnets to avoid the centre layers moving in the 3x3 stage. I like the strong magnets in the inner layers since it compliments my turning style perfectly. I was aware this is what magnets Speedcubreview used and he said they were very good and I agree with him.

Please let me know if this is the magnet choice you would have gone for and if not, I would like to know why you chose the magnets you did.

Not sure on the numbers though, I didn't double up my magnets and I used 96 in total - probably not 48:48.

Zain_A24

YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah

If I was to do it again, I would probably use 4x1.5 rather than 4x2 in the inner layers and I like the weak feel on the outer layers.
What would be your suggestions for magnet choices of this cube? This is my first magnetisation project and I think it went quite well but I am open to others' views on this cube and magnetisation.

WCA
2023FUKU01
Yeah

If I was to do it again, I would probably use 4x1.5 rather than 4x2 in the inner layers and I like the weak feel on the outer layers.
What would be your suggestions for magnet choices of this cube? This is my first magnetisation project and I think it went quite well but I am open to others' views on this cube and magnetisation.
4*1.5 in inners would be to strong.

Last edited:

Zain_A24

YouTube
Visit Channel
4*1.5 in inners would be to strong. I suggest 5*1 n35 or 3*2 n35 in inners and 4*2 n35 in outers.

Interested to know why you would choose stronger magnets in the outer layers of the cube.

Edit: Never mind. Just realised many other people do it the other way around. Should probably take note for next time.

Thanks for the suggestion

Zain_A24

YouTube
Visit Channel
Magnets strength would be doubled in the inners for even layer puzzles.

Thanks.
My TPS isn't too high so it hasn't affected my turning too much, but will definitely do it the other way around next time. Thanks.

I will be doing another Meilong 4x4 magnetisation with the magnets in the other way around and will update the review soon.

Last edited:

AbsoRuud

WCA
2019POLL04
YouTube
Visit Channel
I use this cube at comps right now and it's also my practice cube. I like it better than the WuQue by miles.
I put some MoYu lube on the inner pieces and then some QiYi lube on the outer pieces.
I magnetized it with 4x2 N35 in the outer layer and 4x1.5 in the inner layer. The inner layer is too strong, so I'm doing another one with 4x1 in the inner layer. That should be perfect.
All the MeiLongs.
The Valk Elite. The Valk Elite. And the Valk Elite.

Zain_A24

YouTube
Visit Channel
I use this cube at comps right now and it's also my practice cube. I like it better than the WuQue by miles.
I put some MoYu lube on the inner pieces and then some QiYi lube on the outer pieces.
I magnetized it with 4x2 N35 in the outer layer and 4x1.5 in the inner layer. The inner layer is too strong, so I'm doing another one with 4x1 in the inner layer. That should be perfect.
All the MeiLongs.
The Valk Elite. The Valk Elite. And the Valk Elite.

Thanks for your feedback. Silicone lubes are probably best for bigger cubes.

Zain_A24

YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't use water based lube at all anymore.

It's all personal preference. There's no harm in putting in a few drops of thin lubes like Martian that speed the cube up every now and again, but I agree they are not necessary but provide a short boost of performance.
(Note: I have not used Martian lube specifically so correct me if I'm wrong)

I've been told DNM doesn't go too well with Traxxas or other Diff Oils as well. I personally only use Diff Oil for now.

I see you main the Meilong 3x3. What are your thoughts on the rest of the Meilong series?

GAN 356 X

How oddly silk do on it? I have heard that some people believe that the mailing is best dry on another thread

Thanks for the awesome and lengthy review. If you have money to spare, could you compare the Valk 2m and the Valk 2lm and the gan 251 m

Zain_A24

YouTube
Visit Channel
How oddly silk do on it? I have heard that some people believe that the mailing is best dry on another thread

Thanks for the awesome and lengthy review. If you have money to spare, could you compare the Valk 2m and the Valk 2lm and the gan 251 m

Thanks. It's personal preference. I personally like the "gummy" feeling of cubes. Will take that comparison in mind for my next review possibly.

AbsoRuud

WCA
2019POLL04
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's all personal preference. There's no harm in putting in a few drops of thin lubes like Martian that speed the cube up every now and again, but I agree they are not necessary but provide a short boost of performance.
(Note: I have not used Martian lube specifically so correct me if I'm wrong)

I've been told DNM doesn't go too well with Traxxas or other Diff Oils as well. I personally only use Diff Oil for now.

I see you main the Meilong 3x3. What are your thoughts on the rest of the Meilong series?

I also use the MeiLong 4 M at comp. I own the MeiLong 5, but haven't magnetized it yet. I ordered the MeiLong 2 (twice) so I'll mag one of them and see how it performs. I heard good reviews about it though.

I personally really like the MeiLong series. They're cheap, but they perform well. I have no real interest in the 6-12 size though other than collection anxiety. :)