• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

MegaminxSim

WCA
2008HERR01
It's beautiful!!!!!!! Thank you Jeremy, you rock!!!!!!!!

P.S. - make it so you can turn faster somehow, please...

Edit: OK fixed the frames, thanks...I still think it is awkward compared to a real life megaminx, but hey, watcha gonna do :)

Last edited:

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Awesome simulator! Nice controls, but the colors aren't so easy to distinguish. Could you make it so that we can input our own color codes like on hi-games? Thanks!

PatrickJameson

Premium Member
WCA
2007JAME01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Once again, very nice!

Just a few things;
If you put the cut depth all the way to the right, do a few moves, and bring it back to normal cut depth, it will 'pop'. EDIT: Never mind, it will only do it if it is in the middle of a turn.

If you scramble it and then try to change gap or cut depth, it will 'pop'.

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I got a 140 second try... blahrg. I guess I really am bad at minx :(

EDIT: Haha, almost forgot, nice sim :)

EDIT 2: I figured out how to make it easier to find pieces - set distance and scale a bit higher. (In my opinion, by the way, the distance, scale, and frames sliders go WAY too high, and "cut depth" goes way too low). Anyway I can find pieces slightly easier now, and I got a 115. Still using the default color scheme. Anyway I'm glad you used my suggestion for the default keys, Jeremy, it makes it really easy to get used to the sim.

EDIT 3: Ohhhhhh yeah, got a 99. It went to 100 right after I started to look at the timer. (I set a D key, instead of Dw. So now I can do CP without rotation.)

Last edited:

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Got a 95. Beat that Dan! (Actually, don't. I want a sim I can be first in.)

Fanwuq: See the things in the keyboard setting that are Dw? Just set those to D - that's what the program calls the DR face.

EDIT: 94

Last edited:

DavidWoner

The Punchmaster
WCA
2008WONE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
full keyboard clock sim please? :p

mitchell's sim is limited by slow peg changes.

How would you recommend improving the peg input? The number pad is only suitable for clocks of size <= 4.

Whoops, I forgot about the higher order clocks, I never really experimented with those. Yeah I guess there isn't really a faster way to do the pegs for those. I am just looking for a sim that doesn't use the mouse at all, since mine was stolen and touchpads are kind of useless. Just throwing this out there, but I think the ideal key setup for a clock sim would be:

W, E, S, D: toggle pegs

Y, U, I, O, P: U= -1, -3, 6, 3, 1 respectively
H, J, K, L, ; : d= -1, -3, 6, 3, 1 respectively

F= flip

or something similar.

Mitchell: I don't think I ever thanked you properly for making your clock sim in the first place. It's what got me interested in clock, and I have to say that its worked out quite nicely for me. So thank you.

Last edited:

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
@qqwref: If it makes you happy, I can't solve one :p (but I might learn just to try and beat you on this sim! :p)

Haha. It's just like solving F2L over and over, and then for LL I do EO (fruruf style), EP (sunes basically), CO (commutators like niklas), CP (R'D'R commutators).

Anyway I just got a 90 ^_^ MegaminxSim ftw!

EDIT: 87!!!!

Last edited:

jfly

WCA
2005FLEI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks for the kind words everyone!

I changed my colors to the Meffert's scheme, and just got a 113 (1:53.xx) solve. You should really fix the "stop the timer when solved" issue ;)
I'm on it. I'd also like to do replays and a high score list.

It's not working for me...can't load the page at all...
Robert, is it still not working for you? Are there any error messages you can tell me about?

EDIT 2: I figured out how to make it easier to find pieces - set distance and scale a bit higher. (In my opinion, by the way, the distance, scale, and frames sliders go WAY too high, and "cut depth" goes way too low). Anyway I can find pieces slightly easier now, and I got a 115. Still using the default color scheme. Anyway I'm glad you used my suggestion for the default keys, Jeremy, it makes it really easy to get used to the sim.
Nice catch! Reducing the perspective helps a *ton*.
Yeah, the bounds on the sliders are kinda strange. It would be easy to change it for the distance and scale sliders, but bounds for the cut depth slider depend on the current gap size. I feel it isn't really worth the effort to fix it.
And yeah, I'm very happy with the key layout. You convinced me that a megaminx simulator would be feasible in the first place.

Fanwuq: See the things in the keyboard setting that are Dw? Just set those to D - that's what the program calls the DR face.
Opps, that Dw and Dw' are left over from coding. I don't actually use them to solve it.
What is the DR face? I just picked A, B, C, D, E, F to be the "front" face, the "up" face, and so on clockwise around the front. Faces in the back are just the lowercase versions of the faces opposite them.
Is there a standard notation for faces that I don't know about?

Robert-Y

WCA
2009YAUR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
j-fly: Robert, is it still not working for you? Are there any error messages you can tell me about?

Nah, it's fine now, I'm not sure what was wrong before but it doesn't matter now, thanks anyway :)

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Opps, that Dw and Dw' are left over from coding. I don't actually use them to solve it.
What is the DR face? I just picked A, B, C, D, E, F to be the "front" face, the "up" face, and so on clockwise around the front. Faces in the back are just the lowercase versions of the faces opposite them.
Is there a standard notation for faces that I don't know about?

Unfortunately there is no standard notation, but it's usual to see the faces around front labeled U, R, DR, DL, L (going clockwise) and the faces around up labeled F, L, BL, BR, R (going clockwise). The other four faces are so rarely (that is, never) used in algs that nobody bothers to name them :p But yeah, D in Jaap's notation is DR in the common alg notation.

By the way I got an 84 and this average of 12:
87 95 (84) (108) 94 89 95 90 93 90 91 100 = 92.4 + .5 = 92.9 :)
This is fun!

Incidentally, you wouldn't be open to making a heise-style gigaminx sim... would you?

Robert-Y

WCA
2009YAUR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yay 469 secs first megaminx solve ever lol :p Figured it out by myself :)

EDIT: 241...

EDIT 2: 193...

Ok I have to stop now...

Before it's too late...

Last edited: