• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[WR] Max Park - 6.39 3x3 Average

Chree

WCA
2013BROT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wow! BTW if I was a speedcuber all the activity on and around the table would totally distract me. Very surprised people are allowed to place things, take things, move things etc while a solve is taking place.

I didn't see anything that would've been at all distracting. Moving the cube cover is completely normal, and the sheet of paper placed on the table on solve #4 was out of his eyeline. Although it is slightly disconcerting to see the judge for solves #1 and #5 writing on the scorecard before the solve was finished. Thank goodness there weren't any actual incidents in these solves.

Gomorrite

I hope Zemdegs can get the record before Max Park or Seung Hyun Nahm lower it further. I would like to see him hold the record one last time.

It now seems that this wasn't a lucky average at all, and Max Park is consistently faster than anyone else. If you average their last 10 Avg5:

Max Park - 6.89
Feliks Zemdegs - 7.13

In spite of being slower, Zemdegs will be in many more competitions during the next 6 weeks, so I do think he has good chances for claiming the record back.

M

Malkom

I hope Zemdegs can get the record before Max Park or Seung Hyun Nahm lower it further. I would like to see him hold the record one last time.

It now seems that this wasn't a lucky average at all, and Max Park is consistently faster than anyone else. If you average their last 10 Avg5:

Max Park - 6.89
Feliks Zemdegs - 7.13

In spite of being slower, Zemdegs will be in many more competitions during the next 6 weeks, so I do think he has good chances for claiming the record back.
I think Feliks's average at home is ~6.5, 3x3 WR avg is open for quite a few people until it hits sub6.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gomorrite

I think Feliks average at home is ~6.5, 3x3 WR avg is open for quite a few people until it hits sub6.
Actually, Zemdegs has a 6.17 Avg100, so even faster than that. And it is true that Zemdegs has slightly faster times than Park at home, but I think they might not be perfectly comparable as at home they are not using Stackmat and possibly stopping the timer differently.

WR open to many people? Sure, I think the probabilities that it will be claimed by one of the 3 cubers I mentioned is very high.

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Actually, Zemdegs has a 6.17 Avg100, so even faster than that. And it is true that Zemdegs has slightly faster times than Park at home, but I think they might not be perfectly comparable as at home they are not using Stackmat and possibly stopping the timer differently.

WR open to many people? Sure, I think the probabilities that it will be claimed by one of the 3 cubers I mentioned is very high.

Average of 100 doesn't determine global average. I have a 2.99 Pyraminx average of 100, but I actually average 3.3 to 3.4. Some days are just better/luckier than others.

U

Underwatercuber

I think the competition opportunities for Feliks are a very big factor to his number of world records. At the comps he does go to, he'd put pressure on himself and his performance.
Notice how the last time he got WR average it was in a comp with ~60 people and he wasn't being crowded by 11 year olds. I think he can calm down and focus a lot more when he's under less pressure.

WCA
2013BARK01
Notice how the last time he got WR average it was in a comp with ~60 people and he wasn't being crowded by 11 year olds. I think he can calm down and focus a lot more when he's under less pressure.
Breaking news: 10 year olds asking if you're going to get a world record might not help after all.

Gomorrite

Average of 100 doesn't determine global average. I have a 2.99 Pyraminx average of 100, but I actually average 3.3 to 3.4. Some days are just better/luckier than others.
100 are many solves for luck to have such influence. If your actual average is more than 10% higher, I would say other factors are likely to contribute more than luck, most probably your level of focus (which itself might relate to tiredness) and also having warmed up.