• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Maintenance Question: How to remove stickers and the goo residue?

AlanAlanine

use lighter fluid. you can buy it in a smoke shop or something, unless you're too young (the lighter fluid cans will also say something like "good for removing labels" or something to that extent)

Akuma

WCA
2010COST01
YouTube
Visit Channel
How to remove sticky residue when switching stickers

I am putting on new stickers on my 3x3x3.
When removing the old stickers there's this sticky residue left from the old stickers.
How do I remove it? Tried brushing it off with soap and hot water but it's still all there

Should I use alcohol or a dissolvent or something?

teller

REAL Fingertricks!
WCA
2010COAT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I use Goo-Gone. Takes it right off.

You do NOT want to get this stuff inside your cube, so be careful. Just squirt a small amount onto a paper towel and gently rub the outside of the cube.

josmil1

use the old fashion way...and free...soap and warm water, go through each piece and clean it off. It takes a while but it works. You can use alcohol...I tried nail polish remover and it worked ok even though it still took a while.

Novriil

WCA
2009KRUU01
YouTube
Visit Channel
use the old fashion way...and free...soap and warm water, go through each piece and clean it off. It takes a while but it works. You can use alcohol...I tried nail polish remover and it worked ok even though it still took a while.

None of these are free..

Edit: Oh.. and I have used my fingers so far.. I just push it off.. although my fingers are pretty dead after it, it does the job.

Last edited:

ben1996123

Banned
WCA
2009WHIT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I use a cloth and just rub it off. Kills your fingers though, especially when the first puzzle you have ever restickered is a gigaminx :(

372 stickers + lots of sticky crap + 2 dead fingers = gigaminx restickering

jiggy

I busted my thumb up trying to clean sticker gunk off the first time I changed stickers. Not cool.

I use a contact cleaner from Maplin (an electronics shop in the UK). It works amazingly. I don't know if you can get it where you are, but maybe if you find an electronics store and ask them if they have a plastic safe contact cleaner, you might get lucky. You just spray it on and wipe if off. Bingo-bango-bongo.

Last edited: