• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Magnets Discussion and Help thread

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I am mixing the magnets strength of the corner edge pair as I think that the magnets may be too weak.
I have a cyclone boys magnetic skewb, ootb all of the magnets are 4*1.5. They are very weak to me, making me over shoot a lot. Then I switched half of the magnets (only corners) to 4*2 n35, and they work really well!
What kind of 5x5 are you using? The thickness of the plastic makes a big difference.

AbsoRuud

WCA
2019POLL04
YouTube
Visit Channel
I want to magnetize three cubes.: The Moyu Meilong 3x3x3, the QiYi Warrior W 3x3x3, and the QiYi QiDi 2x2x2 (in that order).

I came across a huge guide for magnets (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ckx4hwxyP9i_7M0Fm7NWg2hraEHA1MPjROgvl9kONKM/edit#gid=0) but the suggested magnet most of the time is N42 5x1, which is pretty expensive. I'm looking at 20 pieces for 5 dollars on Ali Express. So I'll need to spent 40 bucks to magnetise 3 cubes. That doesn't seem worth it for cubes that are worth 10 bucks put together.

On Youtube I found someone magnetize the Meilong with N52 4x2, but that seems a bit big/strong.

I really, really like how SCS magnetized my YLM, so if anyone has any information on which magnets they used, that would also be cool.

Anyone else have any tips on what magnets to use on these three cubes? I've been talking about magnetizing a cube for months now, it's time I finally stop overthinking this and get on with it already. Please help! :)

teh yoshi

I am going to magnetize a 5x5. Is it suitable to use 4*2 n35 x48 magnets in the edge to edge pair, and 4*2 n35 x24 + 4*1.5 n35 (corners) x24 magnets in the corner edge pair?
Which cube are you magnetizing? I think that setup sounds fine, but make sure the plastic thickness is roughly the same throughout the cube, otherwise using different magnets can have unintended consequences.

In my opinion, odd-layered cubes can get away with having the same strength throughout the entire cube, given that there's no variance in the plastic thickness. A layer in the middle of the cube will be held there magnetically by both sides, unlike the outer layer.

WCA
2023FUKU01
Which cube are you magnetizing? I think that setup sounds fine, but make sure the plastic thickness is roughly the same throughout the cube, otherwise using different magnets can have unintended consequences.

In my opinion, odd-layered cubes can get away with having the same strength throughout the entire cube, given that there's no variance in the plastic thickness. A layer in the middle of the cube will be held there magnetically by both sides, unlike the outer layer.
My super smooth and fast mf5!

WCA
2018BRUM01
I went with the n52s, just finished magnetizing, and they work fantastic for me. Thanks for your recommendation, but sorry I saw it too late. Luckily I am pretty happy with the n52s.

neeamradia

Thecubicle labs one has really nice magnet strength any idea what strength they are?

It is a great cube. Bought s labs one as a gift for my friend.

WCA
2018BRUM01
Yeah I'll send some pics after I work the cube in, but at the moment it is drenched in lube so I don't want to take any pieces out. Make sure to remind me if I don't send pics in a few hours