• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Magnets Discussion and Help thread

Sergey

Thank you, DMCubing. Maybe there is a difference from batch to batch - mine is felt like Medium for me. But it is only in comparison with what I got with my DIY YLM with N35 4x1.4 placed closer to the core ;)

Galcor117

I want to switch out the magnets in my stock sm, but idk what strength they are. All I know is that they are 3mm*2mm magnets.

If anyone is wondering, I want to switch out the magnets for weaker ones. The pull is too strong for my taste

Curiously have you ever tried a gts2m? I've got one and while it needs a bit of lube the magnets seem just right, nice and light but keeps things equal

I have no idea :( I just buy the magnet versions and be happy :p I only do about 40 solves a day so it's not like I'm close to good times.

fxy

Right, probably so depending on the N35 4x2s you used. In the Air, I really like the magnets365 N35 4x2 that actually measure 4x1.7. So they're just slightly undersized. And with any magnet in the Air, you can reduce the overall perceived magnetic pullforce by positioning them further in to the pieces. The Air is one of those cubes that just doesn't require much magnetic strength to be effective. I recently got some N35 4x1.5 (Omo) that I want to try in the Air. And since the factory magnetized SM uses a stronger high grade 3x2, I want to try that too.
But yeah, I think you'll really like the N42 5x1s. Let me know what you think!
I've tried N35 5x1 before and found them too weak. But for my next experimental GTS2M, I plan on a combination of N35 5x1 and N42 5x2. That might make for a great cube too!

Hello, finally took the time to magnetize the GTS 2 with N42 5x1.

After 50 solves, I like the feel of them and the added stability. I wouldn't want them any stronger and am glad I did not go with N45. Curious to see how lighter magnets would feel in it, like those in the mass produced version.
Having lubed the cube too much, it's too fast right now and I'm not yet able to tell if I will prefer it over my main (the regular Valk 3).

Talking about the Valk 3, what magnets strength / size would be nice for a subtle feel?

A word about the magnetizing process: the glue I used (gorilla glue, with the green cap) dries very quickly. As soon as the magnet reaches the glue it sticks strongly and its not possible to adjust its position. As a result I resorted to gluing only over the magnets, hoping the bond lasts long despite that.

DMCubing

Hello, finally took the time to magnetize the GTS 2 with N42 5x1.

After 50 solves, I like the feel of them and the added stability. I wouldn't want them any stronger and am glad I did not go with N45. Curious to see how lighter magnets would feel in it, like those in the mass produced version.
Having lubed the cube too much, it's too fast right now and I'm not yet able to tell if I will prefer it over my main (the regular Valk 3).

Talking about the Valk 3, what magnets strength / size would be nice for a subtle feel?

A word about the magnetizing process: the glue I used (gorilla glue, with the green cap) dries very quickly. As soon as the magnet reaches the glue it sticks strongly and its not possible to adjust its position. As a result I resorted to gluing only over the magnets, hoping the bond lasts long despite that.
Hey, that's awesome! I think you'll find the GTS2M gets better and better after each solve! Gluing can be tricky. The blue capped Impact Tough Formula, which I use, is fairly thick and I place a pretty good sized drop, then the magnet just slides on top and then into place. I tend to always strive for getting glue under the magnets, but if you've used a pretty good amount and encapsulated the magnets, you should be good.

I personally wouldn't use anything stronger than an N35 4x2 in the Valk. I used to like the N38, but it's really too much. The N35 "4x2" (which actually measure 4x1.7) from magnets365 are great in the cube but I also wouldn't hesitate using N35 4x1.5. The next Valk I do, I'm using that magnet.

I've experimented with 5x1s in the Valk but they end up feeling a little stronger in it than other cubes. The corner piece cutaway holes allow for a certain amount of increased magnetic attraction because that area isn't as shielded. But it would be worthwhile experimenting with maybe an N35 5x1 and positioning as far away from the cutaway holes as possible. Generally speaking, 5mm magnets have a gentler click, or softer bump. This is because of the slightly extended magnetic field due to the width. The 4mm can tend to have a more pronounced click, not necessarily strong click, but less mushier feeling than a 5mm magnet.

Sergey

Got measurements of the factory GTS2M spare magnets from my pal's lab. Compared to my N35 4x1.4 from China those magnets was graded like N48-N50 :oops:. Strange. But not a precise measurement, of course. And I'm not a magnets expert ;)
Code:
mT, both poles, 5 magnets in each group, from the surface, probe size is larger then magnet

N35(?) 4x1.4
+148 -157
+160 -155
+155 -150
+152 -156
+150 -155

Spare 4x1.5
+195 -195
+198 -188
+200 -191
+188 -188
+198 -195

Last edited:

DMCubing

Got measurements of the factory GTS2M spare magnets from my pal's lab. Compared to my N35 4x1.4 from China those magnets was graded like N48-N50 :oops:. Strange. But not a precise measurement, of course. And I'm not a magnets expert ;)
Code:
mT, both poles, 5 magnets in each group, from the surface, probe size is larger then magnet

N35(?) 4x1.4
+148 -157
+160 -155
+155 -150
+152 -156
+150 -155

Spare 4x1.5
+195 -195
+198 -188
+200 -191
+188 -188
+198 -195
Cool!

It's impossible for them to all be exactly the same. If you're really obsessive, you can use a micrometer and group and sort them by size within a certain parameter and then magnetize with all nearly identical magnets. I honestly don't believe the change in a cube's performance would be enhanced, but I certainly can appreciate the preciseness and I'll probably do that eventually myself for fun. (Side note: I once made a souped-up Valk where everything was precise on it- I smoothed the spring bottoms, buffed the cubie pieces for complete smoothness- basically spent a lot of time fixing this badboy, but when it was all done, it felt no different than any others I had magnetized! Lol!)

I find the higher priced magnets have better consistency.

Galcor117

I want to switch out the magnets in my stock sm, but idk what strength they are. All I know is that they are 3mm*2mm magnets.

If anyone is wondering, I want to switch out the magnets for weaker ones. The pull is too strong for my taste