• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Magnets Discussion and Help thread

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Please let me know what you try for the Wushuang.

The Wushuang already has 4x2 n38 on the inner slice, 4x2 n35 on the outer slice. The inner/outer balance is perfect, ideal overall might be if all the magnets were 10-20% weaker.

I should have the magnets in the mailbox, so once I find time and my superglue I'm going to try my next 5x5 magnetization project: 2 Yuxin 5x5s, 6x1 n48 inside, 5x1 n52 outside. I'll experiment with relative polarity between sets of magnets.

Sue Doenim

@DMCubing has done center-edge on cubes, I've done it on a megaminx. In both cases the results were underwhelming. Corner-edge is standard. Were you thinking of doing both on one cube? That might be interesting.
Yeah, I was talking about doing both. It probably wouldn't have much practical application though.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I should have the magnets in the mailbox, so once I find time and my superglue I'm going to try my next 5x5 magnetization project: 2 Yuxin 5x5s, 6x1 n48 inside, 5x1 n52 outside. I'll experiment with relative polarity between sets of magnets.

The first one of these is done, the second is started. I usually run extremely loose tensions on magnetic big cubes, but this requires a little tighter than that. With good setup it's a really fantastic cube. About 20 solves in I've got a whole new set of PBs.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
This looks very nice, but a question: here at Johnny's Wushuang image the polarities should follow in Line NSNS.

On your image, I noticed they are going NS SN.( thats how I did it). I know it both works, but which do you think is better?

Finally got these done. One stickerless Yuxin 5x5 with polarity NSNS, and another with NSSN. Both have 6x1 n48 inside, 5x1 n52 outside. I think the NSNS is slightly smoother, but that could be break-in or setup. I think I've got about 30 solves on that one, just one on the other. I tried to set them up the same, but maybe not identical tensions. Either way it's a fantastic setup, easily the best 5x5 I've ever had, times 2. A drop of Lubicle on the centers, cubicle weight 5 at the core, and 4 drops of silk on the pieces.

I'll plan to have both magnetized cubes and a non-magnetized one for a control at Big Cheese Open 2018, if anyone wants to try them.

KarlManjaro

is there any gummy feeling with that setup? I greatly decreased the performance of my first 5x5 with a similar lube scheme and even after cleaning had to buy a replacement. I may have simply used too much silk. Also planning on using n50s throughout my 5x5 with a nsns setup. I really wish I could sample your cubes.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
is there any gummy feeling with that setup? I greatly decreased the performance of my first 5x5 with a similar lube scheme and even after cleaning had to buy a replacement. I may have simply used too much silk. Also planning on using n50s throughout my 5x5 with a nsns setup. I really wish I could sample your cubes.
No, it's really not gummy. I really don't recommend using the same magnets all around in a 5x5. You want less force on the outer layers. I've got a comp in 3 weeks where I'd like to have people compare them, after that I would be happy to sell you one. I do have a pretty gummy Wushuang. I personally prefer the yuxin.

KarlManjaro

Is the idea of having weaker magnets on the outer layer for more center stability while solving 3x3 state? I have some extra n48s but that’s not much of a difference. Other posts I’ve found had weaker magnets on the inner layers. I wonder what pro shops do.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Is the idea of having weaker magnets on the outer layer for more center stability while solving 3x3 state? I have some extra n48s but that’s not much of a difference. Other posts I’ve found had weaker magnets on the inner layers. I wonder what pro shops do.
That is precisely why you want weaker outer layers, plus even when you're turning the inner layers you're making outer layer turns as well, and you don't want the inner layers to come along for the ride. TheCubicle says that the Wushuang M has weaker outer layers. SCS doesn't specify.

KarlManjaro

That is precisely why you want weaker outer layers, plus even when you're turning the inner layers you're making outer layer turns as well, and you don't want the inner layers to come along for the ride. TheCubicle says that the Wushuang M has weaker outer layers. SCS doesn't specify.
Thanks for tip, glad I looked around before pulling the trigger. I’ll look into some weaker magnets. N48 - n50 doesn’t seem like it would be enough of a difference

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Thanks for tip, glad I looked around before pulling the trigger. I’ll look into some weaker magnets. N48 - n50 doesn’t seem like it would be enough of a difference
What size magnets are you using? I have a Wushuang with 4x2 n38 and I think 4x1.5 n38, and the inner-outer balance is great but overall the magnets are too strong.

KarlManjaro

My magnets are 4x2 and just rechecked my older magnets and they are n42 so that should be a nice balance between n50 inner and n42 outer. It will be strong but I like stronger magnets, the stability is good for my mediocre speed. I currently use 4x2 n50s in my valk and really like the clicky feedback.

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
(1) Has anyone magnetized a corner/edges galaxy megaminx? (1a) or maybe the v2? (2) How does one do it?
I scrambled Bill Wang's cubicle m megaminx at Michigan 2017, it was crazy good, and I want one, but can't quite afford $70.

If building one was feasible, then I would seriously consider undertaking the project as magnets should only cost <$5?. But I just opened one of the corners and I can't figure out how to fit a magnet, much less three, in there.

And I've heard that edge/center isn't worth it so I don't think I want to risk my megaminx for that.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
(1) Has anyone magnetized a corner/edges galaxy megaminx? (1a) or maybe the v2? (2) How does one do it?
I scrambled Bill Wang's cubicle m megaminx at Michigan 2017, it was crazy good, and I want one, but can't quite afford $70.

If building one was feasible, then I would seriously consider undertaking the project as magnets should only cost <$5?. But I just opened one of the corners and I can't figure out how to fit a magnet, much less three, in there.

And I've heard that edge/center isn't worth it so I don't think I want to risk my megaminx for that.

I think theCubicle actually drills out holes in the corners for the magnets. I've never seen one myself, I just saw a video or two about it. The center-edge Qiyi Qiheng that I did wasn't worth it. I've heard conflicting reports on whether the new Moyu megaminx can take magnets in unmodified corners.

IMO it's worth getting magnets that you know what they are. Gaussboys average about $0.10/each, so I'd plan on about $12 for 120 magnets.

kemuat

WCA
2017ALQU01
What would anyone recommend using for a Thunderclap 4x4 mini? I plan on magnetizing mine. (Sorry if this was already asked, I am much too lazy to look through 30+ pages of questions.)

joshsailscga

WCA
2014MORR01
I just spent my evening discovering the wonder of magnetic cubes :D
Thunderclap V1 + n35(Cubicle light magnet kit) + DNM37 = blown away
I've never handled a magnetic cube before but heard the hype and it is amazing. I'm glad I went with the light instead of normal strength, as the feel, to me, is exactly what I didn't realize I was missing. It's very subtly more stable during turns, especially certain algs like E- and N- perms that I frequently lock up on.
I read somewhere someone mentioned that if you want to feel a click, go with the strong, but if you just want stability, go with light strength magnets, and I would agree. Mine are enough to provide that bit of stability, but they do not correct an offset layer of more than about 3-5 degrees. This is enough to make OH incredible, as it doesn't correct bad turns but keeps normal turns from overshooting.
Overall, A+. I'm quite late to the magnet scene, but if anybody has been on the fence about whether to DIY any of their cubes, I say go for it. The Cubicle magnet kit and their little 2-minute video gave me everything I needed to know.

Bemis

Decided to give magnetizing a cube a go. So I started with a WuShuang 5x5. Read up as much as I could and was able to get a few questions answered before I began ( Thanks @Chree ). It came out way better than I ever imagined. I can't stop solving it. This thread and some videos I've found have been very helpful and inspiring. I already have magnets inbound for 2 more cubes. Up next is a WuQue and a Yuxin 5x5. Can't wait!

HEMcubing

Hey I saw this and I had to answer. I'm going to magnitize my qiyi warrior w and I would recommend in any cube to have 2mmx4mm n48 magnets there that best magnets for any cube but mostly choose on personal preference. Here I will list the feelings of each magnet on the market.

N32- these magnets fell very weak any don't realy help in any way shape or form.

N35-these are a bit stronger than the n32 but are to weak to have a feeling but does help mildly with stability issues.

N40- These help more with stability than the n35 but the feeling is and bit more distinct went turning slowly.

N45-These are very simmaler to the n40- but stronger feeling when turning.

N48- I find that the n48 are the best balanced magnets with strength and feeling there not to clicky but has a very stable feeling. This is my chose if magnet for virtually any cube.

N50- Theses are very strong and have a clicky feeling that is to much for any cube.

As I said the n48 are the best magnet for any cube and are my go to magnet in the 2mmx4mm size. I apply them with super glue and add a extra coating of it so if I drop the cube the magnets will not fall out of place. The steps for where to put the magnets is simple take the first magnet and put in the left side of one half of a eadge piece but the spoke spot and the some for all the rest and the corners you need to get 1 third of a corner and put the magnet in a spot where it lines up with the other magnet.

The best glue I find to apply magnets with is pric stick no no no it's super glue it drys fast and it holds very well and most people have it already so that's the go to glue.

Bemis

Magnetized a Mini Thunderclap 4x4 using some suggestions found in a YT discussion on @DMCubing 's YT channel. It was discovered that Chris Tran mentioned using 5x1 N48 and 3.2x1.6 N48 on the Cubicle Wuque and given that they are fairly similar cubes in design, that's exactly what I dropped in. Felt too strong at first, but I backed off the tensions and lubed it up a bit. Now it feels really solid.

Magnets add so much stability to the cubes. I still can't get over how great the 5x5 feels.

I gotta say, after starting on a 5x5 and coming up with a technique, doing the next cube was really effortless. You get a nice rhythm down with whatever system you come up with.

Last edited: