• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Looking for smallest possible 3x3

Kabuthunk

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm wondering what the smallest commercially available 3x3 is (not a custom-made thing that's not for sale). I tend to always have a Rubik's Cube with me just because I like to mess with it while waiting, and have always just used one of the Rubik's brand mini cubes.

Said Rubik's mini cube however has several annoyances. I solved the problem of the hollow edges catching on corners/whatnot by filling in each piece with JB Weld. However, since the center is just molded plastic, no screws or springs or anything, it's been weakening over time, and pieces are starting to semi-easily fall out while solving it. Likely a side-effect of it always being in my pocket and banged around, but at least with screws I could re-tighten it. After all my JBWeld related work, it's kinda sad to see it slowly become unusable.

The second annoyance is that it's still slightly too big for my likings. When wearing jeans, the corners tend to dig into my leg.

Thus... does there exist somewhere a smaller cube still (with or without screw/springs), or a cube of the same size with screws/springs? I remember someone mentioning a Maru Mari... something or another, but have forgotten the specifics. And if I recall, that was regular mini-cube size. If something smaller is out there, I'd be all over that.

FatBoyXPC

WCA
2010LACH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The smallest ones are probably the Rubik's Keychain cubes. I don't know any other Rubik's brand cube between that and the standard 3x3x3 Rubik's storebought cube.

WCA
2009HONI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I really wish that weren't so expensive, because it look really unique. I'd like to have one just because lol.

its not really THAT expensive. its freaking 3-D printed. I have a mini 4x4x4 (3cm*3cm*3cm) (though I haven't found sources for stickers) and I believe it cost me 40USD...with shipping. but its a cool thing to have =)

Kabuthunk

YouTube
Visit Channel

Wow... that is ludicrously small. I'm really damn tempted to get that... heck, I still might just because. I'd have to be careful though... it'd end up getting lost in my pocket or something. That thing's small enough to accidentally swallow!

Just... wow. Although, you mention it's made with a 3D printer. The material these 3D printers use... is it somewhat sturdy, or is it like... weak as a kitten? Small is one thing, but if the pressure of it being pressed against keys is going to mash it out of shape or something, it's next to useless.

WCA
2009HONI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
its freaking strong. but of course turning would be like, o_O
and its DIY apparently, the link that i gave.

my mini 4x4x4 doesnt turn that well...don't expect 3D-printed puzzles to be amazing. well after washing it and lubing it a lot the mini 4x4x4 does turn acceptably though its like freaking fragile