• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Lawrence Spring Open 2015 (Kansas, USA)

shadowkiller168

Premium Member
WCA
2014PASC03
YouTube
Visit Channel
The main reason we're going is because it's "close" by our standards :p

edit: yeah you should try to have clock. Logan and I can scramble fast, make the cutoff like 20 and we'll be fine.

Yeaaahhhhh, no. I have numerous reasons for not hosting Clock.
1: The schedule is already jam-packed as it is. I was actually debating whether to remove an event or not.
2: I don't like Clock. It's very hard for me to get behind an event I don't even like. It's a similar reason why there's no 4x4 in this comp.
3: The schedule is JAM-FRICKIN'-PACKED! I cannot emphasize this enough. Unless in total the event will take 5 minutes, it's too long to host for this comp.

You could try to convince another Kansas organizer to have the event. Zachary Henry wants to make a comp (although he seemed pretty certain on what events he will do, and Clock was not one of them), and Dan Nguyen wants to organize a comp in Kansas City. You should talk to one of them instead.

shadowkiller168

Premium Member
WCA
2014PASC03
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you didn't do 6x6 there would be way more time..

Using that logic I could get rid of any event and there would be way more time. 3x3 takes up 2 hours, why not get rid of that? /s

You are the first person to even mention Clock, while I had a few people say they wanted to see larger cubes as events. Plus, why did you wait until now to say hat you wanted to have Clock? You had so many opportunities before I said what the final events were to speak up, but you didn't. It's hard for me to take you seriously by this point.

If that's not enough, let me add another reason to the ones (which I already thought were good reasons to begin with).
4: Mats Valk DIRECTLY advised me to be cautious to include Clock as an event. In this area, cubing is pretty unknown, so some of the spectators that show up would have their very first glimpse of speedcubing. Rubik's Clock is not very exciting to watch considering only the competitor and the judge can see what's going on.

If this was a multi-day competition, then Clock would very likely be an event. But this isn't a multi-day competition, so I only have so much time to start with.

I appreciate you still voicing your opinion; I hope the lack of Clock doesn't deter you from coming, but if you want to go to competitions with that event, you should look somewhere else.

kcl

WCA
2013LEJE03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Another Lawrence, Kansas Competition

Using that logic I could get rid of any event and there would be way more time. 3x3 takes up 2 hours, why not get rid of that? /s

You are the first person to even mention Clock, while I had a few people say they wanted to see larger cubes as events. Plus, why did you wait until now to say hat you wanted to have Clock? You had so many opportunities before I said what the final events were to speak up, but you didn't. It's hard for me to take you seriously by this point.

If that's not enough, let me add another reason to the ones (which I already thought were good reasons to begin with).
4: Mats Valk DIRECTLY advised me to be cautious to include Clock as an event. In this area, cubing is pretty unknown, so some of the spectators that show up would have their very first glimpse of speedcubing. Rubik's Clock is not very exciting to watch considering only the competitor and the judge can see what's going on.

If this was a multi-day competition, then Clock would very likely be an event. But this isn't a multi-day competition, so I only have so much time to start with.

I appreciate you still voicing your opinion; I hope the lack of Clock doesn't deter you from coming, but if you want to go to competitions with that event, you should look somewhere else.

The key difference is that 3x3 is held for everyone at the comp. You're doing 6x6 for one person and we all know it. Skipping one round of 6x6 would allow you to have sq1 AND clock.

I highly doubt you can give me any reason why mats would say to not hold clock other than that he was trolling.

ottozing

Platinum Member
WCA
2012MCNE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
What's so funny? I actually asked him at Nationals.

The way people view speedcubing won't be affected unless they literally only show up to see clock (which wouldn't take very long to run), and then leave straight after before other events happen. Assuming someone does that though, it probably won't have a negative impact on how they view speedcubing. Also, the reasons you stated before that were basically just you saying "Kennan, I don't feel like it's a good idea to add clock because you asked for it at the wrong time and I don't like you", which sure as hell isn't a "good enough reason to not have clock". Also, from what I can tell, even if maybe more people requested 6x6 than people did for clock, it's clear you're only holding it for Kevin, which is why you initially had a ridiculous cutoff that only he could make.

I could go on and on, but in short, change your attitude. If you're planning on organizing more competitions in the future, you need to be better at pleasing the people who will actually be attending your comp. Being passive aggressive, along with clearly showing favoritism to the point where literally no one else can get more than one solve in an event is vbj.

shadowkiller168

Premium Member
WCA
2014PASC03
YouTube
Visit Channel
The key difference is that 3x3 is held for everyone at the comp. You're doing 6x6 for one person and we all know it. Skipping one round of 6x6 would allow you to have sq1 AND clock.

I highly doubt you can give me any reason why mats would say to not hold clock other than that he was trolling.

Mats sounded serious about it.

Also, while yes, initially I did hold it for one person (I'm sure you remember the backlash I had about the cutoffs, which I changed so MORE THAN JUST KEVIN COULD COMPETE), other people expressed some interest in entering.

Also, even if I were to get rid of 6x6, I would absolutely NOT, not ever, no-way-in-hell replace it with Clock OR Square-1! I just had Square-1 as an event at my first competition. You wanna know how many people signed up for it? 3. Just 3. Square-1 isn't a very popular event, nor is it an event I can get behind.

I already gave my reasons for Clock.

You're the only person to have even suggested the event. If there were 10+ people practically DEMANDING that I host the event, then I would have actually considered it. Here, it's just you, and you haven't given me any reasons why I should have it to begin with! All you have done so far is ask me to remove 6x6 and add Clock/Sq-1 instead, but you never said why, nor did you give any reasons to justify your request. Because of that, I can't really take you seriously here.

Jokerman5656

Catch Me If You Can
WCA
2009BRAI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The only reason I would advise Clock over 6x6 is that people suck at 6x6 and nobody makes cutoffs. Clock is a much more fun event and way less of a hassle to organize scramblers and judges. Would you like to sit and judge a bunch of 10 minutes 6x6 solves so that kids can get a time in their WCA? If so then I'll make sure I come to this competition and I'll make sure you are a judge. If a majority of people want Clock instead of 6x6 then why wouldn't you appeal to a majority?

Why not make a poll about people wating 6x6 vs clock?

SpicyOranges

WCA
2013MCGR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
If there were 10+ people practically DEMANDING that I host the event, then I would have actually considered it. Here, it's just you, and you haven't given me any reasons why I should have it to begin with!

I DEMAND THAT YOU HOLD CLOCK! There, that's 2. Some reasons:

1. Clock can be exciting to see who podiums, Kennan and I will have to battle for top.
2. Its a break for a lot of people who don't do clock, but do many other events
3. We can combine it with lunch to save time

Jokerman5656

Catch Me If You Can
WCA
2009BRAI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I DEMAND THAT YOU HOLD CLOCK! There, that's 2. Some reasons:

1. Clock can be exciting to see who podiums, Kennan and I will have to battle for top.
2. Its a break for a lot of people who don't do clock, but do many other events
3. We can combine it with lunch to save time

4. Clock is easier to scramble
5. It's a bit more exciting to watch compared to a bigger Rubik's cube

shadowkiller168

Premium Member
WCA
2014PASC03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm just curious where all this Clock stuff came from now. It would have been a lot more helpful if someone spoke up about it earlier.

I'm also glad that someone other than Kennan is speaking about this.

If it helps, I could make Clock a tentative event, but I can't really see myself having it as an event :/

Jokerman5656

Catch Me If You Can
WCA
2009BRAI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm just curious where all this Clock stuff came from now. It would have been a lot more helpful if someone spoke up about it earlier.

I'm also glad that someone other than Kennan is speaking about this.

If it helps, I could make Clock a tentative event, but I can't really see myself having it as an event :/

This competition is 4 months away. I wouldn't worry about people asking for a schedule change now. Websites are made to be changed and schedules aren't usually set in stone until about 5 days before the competition anyway. What if you get 100 people? Obviously the schedule is going to have to change.

Rocky0701

WCA
2014MCEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You're doing 6x6 for one person and we all know it.
I want to do 6x6.

Aussie: "I would LOVE to come as long as you keep the 6x6 event in the competition. I'm extremely excited for this competition, mainly because it is including a big cube."

Pyrge: "Yay 6x6"

Plus Kevin Hays. I do agree with you guy's argument to do clock though, there seems to be a big interest in it even though I have no idea why, and it doesn't take that long. I think keep clock and 6x6. If ShadowKiller keeps insisting on not doing clock though, respect that and move on. He is going through the work of setting up the comp.

shadowkiller168

Premium Member
WCA
2014PASC03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I want to do 6x6.

Aussie: "I would LOVE to come as long as you keep the 6x6 event in the competition. I'm extremely excited for this competition, mainly because it is including a big cube."

Pyrge: "Yay 6x6"

Plus Kevin Hays. I do agree with you guy's argument to do clock though, there seems to be a big interest in it even though I have no idea why, and it doesn't take that long. I think keep clock and 6x6. If ShadowKiller keeps insisting on not doing clock though, respect that and move on. He is going through the work of setting up the comp.

Thank you! Finally someone gets it!

Guys, I already said I'm not very interested in doing Clock. I even made (somewhat) of a compromise of having it as a tentative event. If, for some reason, we are ahead of schedule, I'll host Clock as an event.