• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Last post wins!

Rama

WCA
2006TEMM01
Well the Russian ones just turn much smoother after you've turned them in the Mefferts ones have some anoying ''clicking'' system and the Russian ones are a lot smaller then the Mefferts ones, so the Pyraminx feels much better in your hands and the Russian ones has tiles. :)

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Yeah, I can see the smaller the better for sure... but that doesn't mean that sub-7 isn't possible. You can say sub-5 is possible with the Russian ones... maybe??

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Are the white ones more smooth, or smaller? What is so different about them compared to the Mefferts standards?

Also, Arnaud said he can do it in 14 moves or less.... can someone else do that and give an email? It takes me well over 14 moves.

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
http://www.geocities.com/jaapsch/puzzles/pyraminx.htm

11 moves is optimal, excluding the tips. So 15 moves is optimal. I guess I never got one of the 32 scrambles (out of 933.120) that requires 11 moves.

Finding an 11 moves solution (excluding tips) is relatively easy. Just try it 10 times and you will probably get 4 or 5 already.

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Doing 1 layer and then permutate the remaining 3 "edges" is obviously not going to be the shortest solution in most cases and neither is the "keyhole" method that is also quite popular.

Simply try connecting edges to their centers without creating "flipped edges". Even if you use layer-by-layer that would give you a really short solution. With a layer-method you have a chance of about 1/6 to skip the 2nd layer. If you think about how you put in the last edge that will become 1/3 and by avoiding "flipped edges" it will become 1/2.

If I have the time I will create a sample solve, but I don't have time to learn notation for Pyraminx this week.