• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Kids Accomplishment Thread

Yuxuibbs

WCA
2011CHEN54
YouTube
Visit Channel
will do... also does anyone have advice for how to approach the LL

uh.... which method?
i taught this 10 year old and i was like make a yellow cross, see which ones are solved, if there are two solved and they're next to each other, do R U R' U R U2 R' if not, repeat until it is. then i told them to see which corner was in the right place and do ___(too lazy to write algorithm) to move the corners counter clockwise until all the corners are in the right place. after that i told them to flip the corners with R' D' R D and they actually understood :D

but my brother is 5 and he can just undo patterns lol might teach him 2x2 first.... when i get a 2x2....

blakedacuber

Premium Member
WCA
2010BOWE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
i find 2x2 is more awkward to teach actually:L eah ive gotten my bro to do pattterns alot but today he wanted me to teach him to solve:) I'm rather tempted t teach hi a way using com's once he orients corners

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
will do... also does anyone have advice for how to approach the LL

I suggest a combo of Badmephisto and jasmine Lee:

LL cross via F R U R' U' F' and f F R U R' U' f' = same sexy move but diff "set up"
then permute corners via Niklas L U' R' U L' U' R = very easy to learn, you always pull the U toward you, alternating left and right hand (Jasmine Lee LL)
Then orient corners via Sune (as Badmephisto beginner LL)
Finish with U-perm

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
should i use the R U Uper or the M U Uperm?

I tought the R U and L U U-perms: longer but don't underestimate the abillities of 5 year olds :)

Here's Birgit at 5 years: http://youtu.be/WHAg_7U4j38 full step solve via LBL and LL method described above.

At 1:50 she checks corner permutation and fixes it via Niklas. Finish with Sunes and U-perms.

Last edited:

blakedacuber

Premium Member
WCA
2010BOWE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
my brother(5) is now fully confident in solving pyraminx the bob burton way( do a side and hope for LL skip) hes gotten down to around 30s, he also did for 2 classes in school by request of his teacher.. not too sure where to go from there?

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You could definitely teach hi the last layer algorithms now (you can do it with just two, sune and two-edge flip). Being able to solve a full puzzle without guessing/luck would be a great first step towards learning to solve more puzzles. After the Pyraminx, you could try Magic/Master Magic, 2x2, 3x3, Clock, and possibly Skewb.

blakedacuber

Premium Member
WCA
2010BOWE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You could definitely teach hi the last layer algorithms now (you can do it with just two, sune and two-edge flip). Being able to solve a full puzzle without guessing/luck would be a great first step towards learning to solve more puzzles. After the Pyraminx, you could try Magic/Master Magic, 2x2, 3x3, Clock, and possibly Skewb.

That was my plan.. yeah he's really looking forward to solving magi so that'll probably come next

Sa967St

Not A Moderator
WCA
2007STRO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
my brother(5) is now fully confident in solving pyraminx the bob burton way( do a side and hope for LL skip) hes gotten down to around 30s, he also did for 2 classes in school by request of his teacher.. not too sure where to go from there?
If you teach him 2x2x2 next, don't use Bob Burton's pyraminx method for it. :p
Chester Lian once judged a kid doing an official a 2x2x2 solve like that, and he wasn't too amused. The solve was 8 mins iirc and Chester glared at him when he asked if he could finish his average, haha.

It's not *that* bad doing "layer -> a different layer -> a different layer -> ...-> SKIP!" on a pyraminx since the probability of a LL skip is only 1/12, but on a 2x2 it's 1/162.

blakedacuber

Premium Member
WCA
2010BOWE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Chester Lian once judged a kid doing an official a 2x2x2 solve like that, and he wasn't too amused. The solve was 8 mins iirc and Chester glared at him when he asked if he could finish his average, haha.

It's not *that* bad doing "layer -> a different layer -> a different layer -> ...-> SKIP!" on a pyraminx since the probability of a LL skip is only 1/12, but on a 2x2 it's 1/162.

That's the first person I've even heard of trying bob burton 2x2:p hahaha ill probably teach him lbl then once hes pretty confident with it ill teach him ortega

Bob

Premium Member
WCA
2003BURT01

Note, however, that in my method you never need to solve more than 4 layers. There is a progression through cases that ensure you usually have to solve only 2-3 sides.

I'm pretty sure that does NOT happen for 2x2, so you really do have to go through quite a few layers.

Hermanio

WCA
2012OUNA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is a bit off the original topic, but I taught my 9 yr old brother how to solve the cube a couple of weeks ago. After hours of frustration on his side he finally understood how to solve the cube. Teaching him to make the cross correctly the first time was hard for him since I always forbid him to turn the U layer so he would not mess the cross up. The first two layers was also fine and OLL/PLL. Since I thought that beginners method was too slow I taught him the same 2-look OLL and PLL that I already know. He can solve the cube with algs on a piece of paper and times are about 2-3 minutes, depends on his behavior.
Soon he will learn those algs and be a worthy opponent to me, the sub-35 guy!

rebuttal

I think there cann't be the situation that a 3x3 magic cube was fixed for four surfaces, am i right?

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
Did she enjoy the competition experience? If so, maybe she'll become interested again if she gets to go to another one.

I know my kids' interest almost disappears after a competition for a while, and then they get interested in it again right before the next competition. They seem to enjoy the competitions much more than the actual cubing.

Competition coming up at the NEMO Science center: Birgit is cubing again.
Just did her first solve in almost 1.5 years :)

Where she used to do CP (Niklas) before CO (Sunes) she now does CO with Sune and then "2" Look PLL with righty A-perm and left and right U-perms.

Skipped the daisy for cross and instead of blindly doing "put corner above slot and R U R' " I am now teaching to "just put the corner in in any way". So including R U' R' , R U2 R' and even R' U2 R (and left versions offcourse).
This in an effort to let her think about what she is doing instead of an "algorithmic" bottom corners approach.
Should make for an easier transition into F2L.

Very curious if she sticks with it and how long it will take to get fluent again. The algs are still a little shaky right now :)

edit 03 05:
getting better, less mistakes and moving corners about is becoming more intuitive, adding R2 U2 R U2 ... H-perm to speed up EP and she's still CN
next: lefty Sune to speed up CO

Last edited: