• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Kids Accomplishment Thread

pixelguy

Congrats on the 3x3 BLD at 10 years old. I haven't got my son who's 8 years old into BLD yet but hopefully he'll want to start learning something new soon.

Interesting thread...My son Christian went to his first competition at 6 years old with beginners method but soon upgraded a few months later. At 7 he had an avg of 31.xx seconds (3x3) and his last competition he avg 22.xx seconds (with pb of 19.44). His pb outside comp is 15.xx and he's starting to learn full PLL now so his avg should be getting better for the competition later this month in Toronto. He loves 7x7 the best though, his competition best for 7x7 is under 7 minutes...he's been cubing a little less and less lately though, but I don't ask him about it...it's nice not hearing the 'clicky-clack-clack' of the cubes everyday :)

freshcuber

WCA
2011MURR02
Congrats on the 3x3 BLD at 10 years old. I haven't got my son who's 8 years old into BLD yet but hopefully he'll want to start learning something new soon.

Interesting thread...My son Christian went to his first competition at 6 years old with beginners method but soon upgraded a few months later. At 7 he had an avg of 31.xx seconds (3x3) and his last competition he avg 22.xx seconds (with pb of 19.44). His pb outside comp is 15.xx and he's starting to learn full PLL now so his avg should be getting better for the competition later this month in Toronto. He loves 7x7 the best though, his competition best for 7x7 is under 7 minutes...he's been cubing a little less and less lately though, but I don't ask him about it...it's nice not hearing the 'clicky-clack-clack' of the cubes everyday :)

That's impressive. He's and is faster than me in 3x3 wow. The sub-7 7x7 time is also impressive. How long did it take him to get that low?

vcuber13

WCA
2009METH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My son Christian went to his first competition at 6 years old with beginners method but soon upgraded a few months later. At 7 he had an avg of 31.xx seconds (3x3) and his last competition he avg 22.xx seconds (with pb of 19.44). His pb outside comp is 15.xx and he's starting to learn full PLL now so his avg should be getting better for the competition later this month in Toronto.

did you get him a square-1 yet?

Timoke6

i love to see all those little kids improving so fast!:)
and in the video of birgit's first solve, at the end, she is looking at your unsolved cube like: could've been better...
haha:)

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
So close! I'm sure she'll get a competition result soon.

I hope one day I can get Birgit into BLD...
Although now that she CAN solve the cube she is no longer interested in learning anything new.
For a while we could do some races to get to an average of 5 to enter into the weekly comp but now I'm lucky to get 5 solves in a week ;-)

I guess this proves again that interests change very quickly when you're 5 years old.
Oh well, we'll see what happens...

pixelguy

+1
gogogo sq.1

@pixelguy
does that mean you're attending the competition? :D

Yes he did get his sqaure-1 after his sub-20 solve, but he hasn't got 'into' it yet.

And yes, we'll be at the competition this month, Christian can't (won't) stop talking about it....until he actually gets there and turns into this quite shy kid that won't say a peep....see you there

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
Birgit may just have set an unoficial world record!!!

Are there any other kids (that have done official solves) that quit cubing under the age of six?

She's into karate right now and the cube is out, she actually "banned" her cube from her bedroom earlier today...

jiggy

Sad news! Well, maybe one day she'll pick it up again? At least you were able to teach her to solve it and share your hobby. =)

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Did she enjoy the competition experience? If so, maybe she'll become interested again if she gets to go to another one.

I know my kids' interest almost disappears after a competition for a while, and then they get interested in it again right before the next competition. They seem to enjoy the competitions much more than the actual cubing.

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
She definately enjoyed the competition and for a while she even wanted to be the fastest kid in the world :)

Oh well... we'll see how it turns out.

But I'm still thrilled that we actually got this far!

lilmack

I'm not sure if this counts,

but I taught my older sister the 15 puzzle and I helped my other older sister with the 3x3.

blakedacuber

Premium Member
WCA
2010BOWE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Massive bump but who cares:p im teaching my 6yo brother to cube and today he's learnt the sexy move or what he calls the "bluhh" or *puke sound* he calls it that cause it messes all the pieces then he cleans it up( imagination of a 6 year old :') )

Cheese11

WCA
2011KULC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Rebecca got her first successful 3x3x3 BLD solve today!!!! Just 4 days after her tenth birthday. I'm so proud of her. She's been practicing by doing 3 attempts per day this week, hoping to get a couple of successful solves before Dayton this weekend. Our house is full of distractions, so she has trouble doing a full attempt all at once; apparently she had to stop memorizing while our youngest daughter did some kind of "show" for them, and then she picked back up and finish memorizing. Then she pulled on the blindfold and solved it. So we don't know how long it took, but she said it was probably at least 20 minutes because of the distractions. The good news is that a competition will seem totally distraction-free compared to our house! It was her second attempt today. She is very happy!

Can she do it normally?