• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Jayden McNeill's Speedcubing Solution

Hazel

Premium Member
Speedcubing Solution is a limited-enrollment course by Jayden McNeill for 3x3 improvement. The second round of enrollment is open now, and it closes this Sunday. Since I'm starting to put more focus on speed again, I'm highly considering purchasing it. Has anybody here gone through the first round and have anything to say about it, or is anybody else planning on signing up this time?

Hazel

Premium Member
It is great but it costs a lot!!!
It does. I've been following Jayden's newsletters for over half a year now, though, and I've gotten personal coaching from him, and he certainly knows what he's doing when it comes to helping others improve. I believe that the course is worth the money, it's just a matter of who is willing to pay that much for it.
(For those who don't know, the course costs $297)

Hazel

Premium Member
I am most definitely not paying Jayden McNeill to tell me to switch to CFOP.
He says it’s not for people who don’t use CFOP, and no offense to other methods, but he’s way more experienced with CFOP.

Yep. I don't recall him ever saying that other methods are inferior—it's just that he doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to other methods, so you'll get very little value out of a CFOP-oriented course (his paraphrased words, not mine).

WCA
2017OWEN01
Yep. I don't recall him ever saying that other methods are inferior—it's just that he doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to other methods, so you'll get very little value out of a CFOP-oriented course (his paraphrased words, not mine).
He has said that zz is bad but that is irrelevant to the conversation, I personally don’t think that any cubing course is worth $300 I feel just normal coaching is probably better value for money and also there is lots you can get from here and other places for free, BUT if you have the money and really want to get faster go for it especially seeing as you have lots of time at the moment with the lockdown.

SenorJuan

He actually has some good advice, free, on his blog. Intermediate level solvers should take a look ... free is always a good price.

I should link to it, having commended it ....
Example:
https://www.jaydenmcneillcubing.com/blog/blog-post-seven-nhz9d
..... and he's right. 8 moves is good compared to the 'Daisy Method', I suppose!

And this page about empty slot use during "F2L" is very good advice. There's much more to gain by smart use of them than there is by being colour-neutral, I think. If you solve every slot like it's the last slot, you really are compromising your movecount, and are probably doing more rotations.
https://www.jaydenmcneillcubing.com/blog/blog-post-twelve-s6blk

Last edited:

KingCanyon

WCA
2015KIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I would only suggest this to anyone who has been at a plateau for a very long time and have done near everything in their power to get better. For me, I know that I need to learn the rest of OLL and improve F2L, so I wouldn't take this course until I am close to sub 10 or whenever I reach a roadblock in my times. What I am trying to say is that there is almost always something you can do yourself to improve, but if you have the money, this could be a great resource.

kubesolver

Premium Member
Enrollment is over so I guess I am a bit late with my advice but I would like to share my experience:

I have gotten a critique + improvement plan + short Skype session from Jayden in 2019 and I was very happy about it.
This was a great experience and the biggest reason why I decided to buy his course.

However for the course itself I have mixed feelings.

0) The cubing - 10/10
The cubing part is very good. The general message is the universal advice: fundamentals, fundamentals, fundamentals.
He also shows what are the fundamentals of speedcubing and cuts them into small pieces that can be practiced and mastered separately.
This part is very good and in my opinion this does not exist anywhere else on the market. No single piece of advice is particularly original or surprising, but it's compiled into comprehensive and coherent set of advice and exercises which makes it a great studying material.

1) Motivational talk 2/10
Another face of the course is motivational talk which in my opinion is quite bad.
I think the course would be better without it. A lot of obvious things or nonsense things are being said like they are some kind of breakthrough wisdom. A big chunk of the course is actually praising the course and the people who bought for making the best decision in their lives and how now they are on the path to success. I am allergic to this kind of stuff.

2) Insulting people -1/10
And the last face of the course is constant insulting of people like me who don't take cubing too seriously. It's very weird because in 1 on 1 he was very nice and didn't even hint that he cares about cubing not being my life top priority but he constantly does so in the course material and in his emails, which at some point I have considered too much.

In conclusion. If you have the money and you don't mind too much being insulted for paying the money or actually you really love being part of the "like-minded group of people" then the actual cubing advice is pure gold and clearly shows that Jayden knows what is the process of getting really good at something and has done his job in verbalizing what this process actually looks like applied to cubing very well.

I'm convinced that if you listen to the advice in this course you're basically guaranteed to make progress

Still I would not buy it again because of the constant feeling of being insulted for not being "like-minded person".

WCA
2017OWEN01
Enrollment is over so I guess I am a bit late with my advice but I would like to share my experience:

I have gotten a critique + improvement plan + short Skype session from Jayden in 2019 and I was very happy about it.
This was a great experience and the biggest reason why I decided to buy his course.

However for the course itself I have mixed feelings.

0) The cubing - 10/10
The cubing part is very good. The general message is the universal advice: fundamentals, fundamentals, fundamentals.
He also shows what are the fundamentals of speedcubing and cuts them into small pieces that can be practiced and mastered separately.
This part is very good and in my opinion this does not exist anywhere else on the market. No single piece of advice is particularly original or surprising, but it's compiled into comprehensive and coherent set of advice and exercises which makes it a great studying material.

1) Motivational talk 2/10
Another face of the course is motivational talk which in my opinion is quite bad.
I think the course would be better without it. A lot of obvious things or nonsense things are being said like they are some kind of breakthrough wisdom. A big chunk of the course is actually praising the course and the people who bought for making the best decision in their lives and how now they are on the path to success. I am allergic to this kind of stuff.

2) Insulting people -1/10
And the last face of the course is constant insulting of people like me who don't take cubing too seriously. It's very weird because in 1 on 1 he was very nice and didn't even hint that he cares about cubing not being my life top priority but he constantly does so in the course material and in his emails, which at some point I have considered too much.

In conclusion. If you have the money and you don't mind too much being insulted for paying the money or actually you really love being part of the "like-minded group of people" then the actual cubing advice is pure gold and clearly shows that Jayden knows what is the process of getting really good at something and has done his job in verbalizing what this process actually looks like applied to cubing very well.

I'm convinced that if you listen to the advice in this course you're basically guaranteed to make progress

Still I would not buy it again because of the constant feeling of being insulted for not being "like-minded person".
in other words the course is good but jay acts like a bit of a twat.