• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Is Using a timer is better than clicking space bar?

So I currently use CStimer in my browser. But using a timer is recommended by JPerm and other youtubers.

In competitions also they use a timer, so using a timer from now itself is a better habit. It will be useful in competitions

But must i really throw up a 16$ on it?

I'm asking if it is really necessary now because now only I'm learning basic F2L

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Using a timer is better but not necessary*. The times will be slightly different with keyboard vs timer. By the time you're fast enough to care, though, you'll have bought a timer.

* - except for super-fast events like 2x2, skewb, and pyra. For those, good starts are a key part of the technique. But, again, by the time you're fast enough for it to matter, you'll have bought a timer.

yea having a timer is btr coz theres pickup time and ur hands have to be placed palms down on the timer. but for cs timer even if u r not holding the cube ur palms will not be down but getting ready to get the cube so yeah its good to buy a timer

Rubuscu

According to J Perm, it is worth buying a cstimer if you are really serious about your competition results. Otherwise, it is fine to just use click space bar.

Reactions: qwr

Sajwo

WCA
2012SZEW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Pickup time is objectively faster with keyboard. If you're still learning F2L, I'd say it doesn't make much sense to buy a timer. You could get it before your first competition to practice a little

Eli Apperson

WCA
2022APPE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So I currently use CStimer in my browser. But using a timer is recommended by JPerm and other youtubers.

In competitions also they use a timer, so using a timer from now itself is a better habit. It will be useful in competitions

But must i really throw up a 16$ on it?

I'm asking if it is really necessary now because now only I'm learning basic F2L
Personally, I wouldn't, unless you have a competition coming up. Pickup time is really only important for stuff like 2x2, skewb, pyra, or if you are very fast.

Humble Cuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I used keyboard timing for the first whole year of my cubing journey, and it’s a good way to start if you don’t have the cash to buy a timer. However after a certain point it does become useful to buy a timer, this is primarily true when you begin going to competitions because then you would be practicing with what you would be using there.