• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Is practicing fast events worth it

alexiscubing

WCA
2018HIRS04
YouTube
Visit Channel
I only really practice Pyra, 2x2, skewb, 3x3 with the exception of 4x4 sometimes.
Big cubes cost a lot, and I am not willing to waste my times doing 3minute 5x5 solves. At the moment I am podium level at pyra in Sydney and can make finals for 2x2 (3 averages for both). For some reason I cannot make myself do big cubes and megaminx, because of the necessity to stay decent at fast events. Can anyone help with my mentality?

Ostrich001

Honestly, just practise what you enjoy - that's why you cube right? Although, saying you don't do big cubes because you don't want to waste your time with a 3 min solve , surely you spend more than 3 minutes at a time practising 2x2 or pyra?

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
Honestly, just practise what you enjoy - that's why you cube right? Although, saying you don't do big cubes because you don't want to waste your time with a 3 min solve , surely you spend more than 3 minutes at a time practising 2x2 or pyra?
But with big cubes, you cannot fit in as many solves in say, a one hour practice session.

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
I only really practice Pyra, 2x2, skewb, 3x3 with the exception of 4x4 sometimes.
Big cubes cost a lot, and I am not willing to waste my times doing 3minute 5x5 solves. At the moment I am podium level at pyra in Sydney and can make finals for 2x2 (3 averages for both). For some reason I cannot make myself do big cubes and megaminx, because of the necessity to stay decent at fast events. Can anyone help with my mentality?
I would ask yourself if you enjoy the events you do currently and if you can continue to grind out solves to maintain your ability to solve at your speed without it ruining cubing for you. If the answer is no then just solve 3x3 and start branching out to other events like mega and 4x4 for example and just do maybe 5 solves a day so you can do an average and see improvement over time without feeling like you wasted a whole hour do get maybe 30 solves instead of like 300 2x2 solves.

GAN 356 X

I would ask yourself if you enjoy the events you do currently and if you can continue to grind out solves to maintain your ability to solve at your speed without it ruining cubing for you. If the answer is no then just solve 3x3 and start branching out to other events like mega and 4x4 for example and just do maybe 5 solves a day so you can do an average and see improvement over time without feeling like you wasted a whole hour do get maybe 30 solves instead of like 300 2x2 solves.
Thats what I tend to do with 5x5. I do around 5 5x5 solves, 10 4x4 solves, then do either 2x2 or 3x3, around 50 for each then swapping round after that amount. I might do a few skewb solves or Pyraminx solves too. Then I'll get back and try to solve my square-1. I cannily get up to cubic shape

Zarxrax

But with big cubes, you cannot fit in as many solves in say, a one hour practice session.
With small cubes a larger percentage of your time would be spent on non-solve things, like scrambling. Plus with big cubes, you are really just doing the same thing over and over many times, so I don't think it really matters that you don't get as many full solves in.

GAN 356 X

With small cubes a larger percentage of your time would be spent on non-solve things, like scrambling. Plus with big cubes, you are really just doing the same thing over and over many times, so I don't think it really matters that you don't get as many full solves in.
I find that doing big cubes warms my mentality up and makes me focus cos there's so much going on in a big cube solve

GAN 356 X

Yeah, It takes me like 4 mins to scramble 5x5 and 5 mis to scramble megaminx lol
I don't know if this helps but timing how long it takes you to scramble can help. Even though I only solve 5x5 2-5 times a day, I can now scramble it in around 50 seconds. I think why I'm not good at scrambling 5x5 (2x2 takes around 2 secs, 3x3 6 secs, and 4x4 20 secs normally) is because all the layers, making sure that I'm turning the rug t amount