• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Is my Fully Functioning Lego 3x3 Design worth buying the pieces to build?

Should I buy the pieces and build this cube?

• Yes, buy and post instructions so others can build

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Yes, buy but don't post instructions, others probably won't be interested

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • No, don't buy but post instructions so others can built

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, don't buy or post instructions, others probably won't be interested

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tasguitar7

YouTube
Visit Channel
I decided tonight to start building a 3x3 out of legos. It is larger than a standard cube (12x12x12 lego pegs). I have a functioning design however I do not have the pieces necessary to build a complete cube. I am thinking about buying the pieces.

EDIT: The cost of all of the pieces on Lego's Pick a Brick is $56, or $69.50 if I buy the 4x4 plates necessary to use as stickers

Here are some pictures (all of which should be rotated 90 degrees clockwise)

The core

Corner piece

Corner piece

Edge piece

Edge piece on core

2 Edges and a Corner

Here is a list of the pieces needed:

Per Edge (12)
3x - 4x2 Brick
2x - 1x2 Upward Wedge
1x - 1x4 Brick
2x - 2x2 Corner Brick
1x - 1x2 Brick
1x - 2x2 Brick
1x - 1x2 Plate
1x - 1x2 Tile

Per Corner (8)
5x - 4x2 Brick
2x - 2x2 Brick
1x - 2x2 Corner Brick
1x - 2x2 Corner Plate
1x - 2x2 Corner Tile
2x - 1x3 Plate
2x - 1x1 Plate
2x - 1x2 Plate

Is it worth buying and building?

Last edited:

CarlBrannen

WCA
2013BRAN01
It's hard for me to tell from the pictures, but I'm guessing that the hard part is arranging for your edges to remain in place during a rotation. The problem is worst at the 45 degree position. At that position an edge needs to be supported by the rotating center piece and a stationary edge piece. I'd be worried about how the stationary edge piece holds the rotating edge piece into position.

To check this, it'd be nice to have enough pieces for two corners two edges and the spider. Then you could move two corners and an edge through 90 degrees the various ways.

tasguitar7

YouTube
Visit Channel
It's hard for me to tell from the pictures, but I'm guessing that the hard part is arranging for your edges to remain in place during a rotation. The problem is worst at the 45 degree position. At that position an edge needs to be supported by the rotating center piece and a stationary edge piece. I'd be worried about how the stationary edge piece holds the rotating edge piece into position.

Actually that went alright, the biggest problem is getting the corner to hang in between the edges (I now have 3 edges built). When I lift it up the corner dangles very low but if I built up the edges anymore the corner can't move when attempting to turn a side.