• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Interview with Pedro Santos Guimarães

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
July 30, 2008 : Interview with Speedsolving.com member Pedro Santos Guimarães : Currently (at the time of this interview) holds 9 South American records, including a 1:23.05 3x3x3 Blindfolded time, which is the 15th fastest official time in the world.

interview-pedro.jpg

Student (Electrical Engineering)

What is your favorite event, why?
I'm between 3x3 One-handed and 3x3 blindfolded (and 3x3 speed). I like one-handed and blindfolded because, at some point (like 1.5 years ago), I was good at them. I think I even got 2nd place on the one-handed average of 12 Unofficial World Record list, behind Ryan Patricio, with a 25 second average or so. I was good at blindfold too, being top-10 if I'm not wrong. But now all these fast guys showed up and I suddenly am so slow :D but I'm trying to stay decent.

What made you become interested in solving puzzles?
I once saw a video of a guy solving a cube in around 1:30. Before that, I thought (as many people) that it was impossible to solve the cube. With the video, I figured out it was actually possible to solve it, then I tried for a week and got one layer...looked the rest of the stuff on the internet and I'm hooked since then (3 years ago). I always liked solving (math) problems and doing crosswords, so my puzzle-solving passion is older than my cubing one.

What, in your opinion, is your biggest "cubing" accomplishment?
Well, I think I'll say 5 cubes blindfolded. 4x4x4 blindfolded is also cool, but is less information to memorize and I've done it more times (only got 5 cubes once, since then I'm trying 6).

What are your other hobbies?
Video games, music, surfing on the internet, watching sports (specially soccer and I'm liking track and field too - Powell for gold in Beijing!).

What is/are your pet peeve(s)?
Cube-speaking, I don't really like little kids messing up with all my puzzles, even if they're my little cousins :D (they did, this past weekend). Other than that, people saying they peel the stickers or take the cube apart and/or making stupid jokes related to cubing. Outside cubing, I don't like lies, jealous people and someone pretending he/she is better than another person.

Last edited: