• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

If I were to learn more algorithms...

pyrotek7x7

I have this friend, who is faster than me at cubing. I don't like that, so I want to learn more algorithms and beat him.

My question is, which ones will I use the most often, and will save me the most time?

I know these:

U' F' U F U R U' R' (Edge from UR to FR)
U R U' R' U' F' U R (Edge from FU to FR, mirror of previous)

F U R U' R' F' (Last Layer Cross)
F R U R' U' F' (Last Layer Cross)

R U R' U R U2 R' (Top Side)
R' U' R U' R' U2 R (Top Side, mirror of previous)

R? F R? B2 R F? R? B2 R2 (Last Corners)

R2 U F B? R2 B F? U R2 (Last Edges)
R2 U' F B' R2 B F' U' R2 (Last Edges, mirror of previous)
M2 U M2 U2 M2 U M2 (Last Edges, switches opposites)

So, what should I learn next to improve my times? I'm not going to learn 57 freaking algorithms, maybe about 5 or 10 of the most common scenarios.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
You can average sub-20 with only like 20 OLL's. I still don't know all the OLLs and I average sub-20. I know all the PLL's, and all the major OLL's. At most I have a 3LLL, but I have a 2LLL more then half the time. Work on your F2L, and learn a couple OLL's/PLL's everyday and it won't be long to get around 30 seconds. Good luck.

pyrotek7x7

I do 1:45 with what I know now... :\

However much I didn't completely understand all of those acronyms, which OLLs and PLLs save the most time and will occur most often?

Also, I've never heard of 3LLL and 2LLL.

tenderchkn

Then you have no business talking about "57 freaking algorithms". ;)

Those algorithms look fine. Couple adjustments: For the last corner algorithm, try an x rotation (so the white face is facing you when you start) before, and see if you like that better. Also, if you don't know already, learn the inverse of that so you can cycle the other way. The reason for this is because the way that you are cycling corners (switch front two, right?) leaves the corners out of place after you finish. Instead, adjust the top layer so that only the front left corner is correct with three incorrect corners. After the algorithm, the centers will be correct. Do this on a solved cube and you'll see what I mean.

The last edge algorithms...try this one: (RU'RU)(RU)(RU'RU'R2) and its inverse. I personally find it easier, especially for beginners to execute.

You should be able to average under a minute with what you already know. So until then, practice.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
3LLL = Three look last layer, meaning you do it in 3 steps. If you are at 1:45, just practice. With the beginners guide on my site, you can average sub-1 easy, and it is a max of 13 algorithms. With little practice after that, getting down to 40 seconds is pretty easy. Good luck.

Pat

Joël

WCA
2004NOOR01
Originally posted by pyrotek7x7@Feb 8 2007, 10:55 PM
I have this friend, who is faster than me at cubing. I don't like that, so I want to learn more algorithms and beat him.

My question is, which ones will I use the most often, and will save me the most time?

I know these:

U' F' U F U R U' R' (Edge from UR to FR)
U R U' R' U' F' U R (Edge from FU to FR, mirror of previous)

F U R U' R' F' (Last Layer Cross)
F R U R' U' F' (Last Layer Cross)

R U R' U R U2 R' (Top Side)
R' U' R U' R' U2 R (Top Side, mirror of previous)

R? F R? B2 R F? R? B2 R2 (Last Corners)

R2 U F B? R2 B F? U R2 (Last Edges)
R2 U' F B' R2 B F' U' R2 (Last Edges, mirror of previous)
M2 U M2 U2 M2 U M2 (Last Edges, switches opposites)

So, what should I learn next to improve my times? I'm not going to learn 57 freaking algorithms, maybe about 5 or 10 of the most common scenarios.
I would go for F2L...

OR you could learn a working corner method to solve F2L:

http://www.math.leidenuniv.nl/~jnoort/inde...=getting_faster

tenderchkn

*bows to Joel* With all due respect, he's at 1:45...don't think F2L will help him at this point.

pyrotek7x7

Tenderchkn: For that corner algorithm, I just naturally moved the cube in the way that feels comfortable as I do it. It's rotating all over the place. It's more of a l' U' l' the way I start it, and then I bring it back. I'm not sure what you're talking about with a correct corner in the front left, and that edge formula doesn't work.

PJK: Yeah, the friend of mine can do an average of 45 seconds, without a lubed cube. He's just got months of practice behind him, i've got one. Should I lube my cube?

Joel: I've tried F2L...I don't quite get it right now, I'd rather learn some other things before I do it.

Joël

WCA
2004NOOR01
Originally posted by tenderchkn@Feb 10 2007, 12:05 AM
*bows to Joel* With all due respect, he's at 1:45...don't think F2L will help him at this point.
Well.. That's pretty much how I started...

But then again, I am brilliant, so..

No, not quite :)

I am judging by the algorithms that he knows. Working on LL is pretty pointless at that stage. Well, a few extra LL algs are ok, but the most time is lost during F2L, so that's where he should work on. Doesn't mean he has to learn to solve F2L in CE-pairs... There's also working corners. ;)

pyrotek7x7

Well, I guess I'll give F2L one more try. I'm not too dumb, 126 IQ should get me somewhere.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
You should definitely lube your cube. Do you know how to pop out an edge? Use silicone spray, you can get it at the local hardware store for like $3.

As far as F2L, it is definitely worth to focus on that. It isn't too early too start. Basically what you do is take a corner, pair it up with it's correct edge, and insert that pair into the correct spot. It may seem overwhelming at first, but will be very easy with little practice. It will also take down your times tremendously. As of right now, can you solve the entire cube without looking at any sheets? Here is my beginners guide on a two-step F2L:
http://www.pjkcubed.com/rubiks-cube-beginners-guide.html

Feel free to ask questions as you go. BTW, here is how to do the F2L pairing (the advanced way, the next level after you master the beginners guide - see my link above):
http://www.cubestation.co.uk/cs2/index.php...x3/cfop/f2l/f2l

Good luck.

tenderchkn

Originally posted by pyrotek7x7@Feb 10 2007, 12:18 AM
Tenderchkn: For that corner algorithm, I just naturally moved the cube in the way that feels comfortable as I do it. It's rotating all over the place. It's more of a l' U' l' the way I start it, and then I bring it back. I'm not sure what you're talking about with a correct corner in the front left, and that edge formula doesn't work.
Oops. It ends with R'U'R2.

From a solved cube, doing your corner cycle. You will notice that three corners have been cycled clockwise. If you executed three times, the cube will return to a solved position. So instead of lining up the cube so you switch the front two corners, understand that the algorithm actually cycles three. The front left corner is unaffected, so when the other three corners are put into position, U layer is ready for edge permutation without doing additional U turns.

pyrotek7x7

Tenderchkn: Well, that just seems a little overwhelming, and would only save 1 or 2 seconds, which isn't very affective with a 1:45 time.

PJK: I've taken apart my cube several times, but I've heard that a silicone SPRAY leaves a film that slows down the cube. Maybe I read it wrong.
Also, beginner F2L link doesn't work.

gn17

To add to the silicone issue: it will slow down your cube if you use _too much_ of it. You only want a thin film, and even then, it might slow it down a little bit. But when you use it and break it in, it'll make your cube a lot faster than before.

Also, for reference, here's Thrawst's guide to lubrication (who saved me a lot of frustration by doing so. Thanks!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0rjg7ckq-0

pyrotek7x7

Thanks for the video gn17!

Anyway, PJK, all I see there is F2L I use, which I thought wasn't called F2L...

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
F2L stands for First Two Layers. There are many ways you can build them. The way described on my site is the beginners way. You should be able to average sub-1 easily with that method with some practice. I can do a 35 second solve using only that method and those algs. Once you get down to around a minute (or even much sooner), you can work on pairing edges and corners up to complete the F2L. See the link to cubestation.co.uk I listed in the previous posts.