• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Ideas for Slice Move +2, with a Fair Judging System for Awkward Slices!

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
@Kit Clement this should help explain any questions
View attachment 11359
anyway I think it’s possible to implement this, but we shouldn’t because it would complicate everything and be unfair to all the results that came before the rule. Plus the “round to the nearest cube” method and this method can give completely different results further complicating it. As a side note wide moves are allowed because Rw2 is literally just L2.
This is the best application of slice misalignments I've seen in terms of consistency. I do agree with you that it's not worth the added complication.

LNB Films

WCA
2019BATE05
anyway, if we did implement slices into +2s instead of DNFs, it would need to have a really clear explanation of the change in the regulations, written into the guidelines. It seems like a lot of work for an issue that would affect a lot of previous competition results, of course, they won't be changed, but it would irritate people like me, like when the cube falls off the table and a slice moves when it hits the ground. (I wouldn't get irritated; it was just an example.

Co-Founder of WeCubeTeam, Lukas Batema

OreKehStrah

Even still, I think most people would agree that if nothing else, it would be reasonable to +2 a slice move if it was a completed move and the cube was fully cubic

OreKehStrah

Define what makes a cube "fully cubic." Is 1 degree off on the outer layers enough to be outside that definition?
I see your point. For this to work a fully comprehensive system would be needed. Maybe we could consider completely aligned up to maybe 5 degrees as a fully cubic?

OreKehStrah

Can you tell the difference between 5° and 6° by just looking at the cube? Because I can't.
No but a protractor can. An while this might seem super extra, as cubing becomes more and more refined, I don’t think it would be unreasonable to use protractors or a similar tool to enable more consistent judging. Competitive sports simply become more and more precise over time

CuberStache

WCA
2016DAVI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
No but a protractor can. An while this might seem super extra, as cubing becomes more and more refined, I don’t think it would be unreasonable to use protractors or a similar tool to enable more consistent judging. Competitive sports simply become more and more precise over time
I personally think that using a protractor would be unreasonable.

brododragon

What about this extremely simple idea that would not effect anything else: When judging for Solved/+2/DNF, only a few rules are needed for every case on 3x3, and one special case for bigger cubes:

1. Outer layers are considered solved if they are within 45 degrees of alignment of the middle layer. If it is not within 45 degrees, it is a +2.

2. Middle layers are considered solved if they are within 45 degrees of alignment of at least one of the outer layers. If both outer layers are not within 45 degrees, it is a +2.

2b. For cubes larger than 3x3, adjacent middle layers count as one. The middle layers in question also have to be adjacent to a outer layer to use it for any ruling.

3. If 2 outer turns are within 45 degrees of each other, apply Rule 2.

4. Multiple +2’s result in a DNF.

That’s it.

Note: This is pro slice moves should be +2.

Additional Note: I’m sure this could be shortened a lot.

LNB Films

WCA
2019BATE05
And using protractors is unreliable still. As having said in the regs. That the judge may not touch/ move the cube in any way to officially judge the cube.

Co-Founder of WeCubeTeam, Lukas Batema

Want to hide this ad and support the community?