• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Unofficial] I can also ZZ with full ZBLL (16.32 Ao5/ 20.78 Ao12)

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
[video=youtube_share;CK2Z6dsEQQw]http://youtu.be/CK2Z6dsEQQw[/video]

I was hoping to surprise everyone the community until I got better, but cat's out of the bag.
You may notice that I'm struggling in the video because I'm extremely frustrated with my progress. I know that I can do better than this.

I returned to cubing at the end of January, and I've since relearned ZBLL in ONE month.
All whilst balancing a 17 credit hour class load, working in a research lab 25 hours a week, working on my master's thesis, and dating.

How did I do it with such a busy schedule and in a SINGLE month?
I kept really good notes and I've got a good mass memorisation system.

Back in 2009, when I learned ZBLL for the first time, wrote down notes on how I'd do it if I ever had to relearn it over again. Luckily, it came in handy 5 years later when I decided to go back to speedcubing. I'm back again because I suck at pretty much everything else in life. I failed out of a top university, I suck at sports/fitness, and the only thing I was good at was memorising algos.

I'm still struggling with ZZ and recall, but I honestly think there are going to be dividends a year down the line.

This time around I'm not using optimal algs. 40% are old algs that I deemed decent, 5-8% are compound OLLs, 10-15%? are from Alg.db, and the rest were generated by myself.

I'm also back because last month I had dinner with Chris Hardwick and Andrew Kang. We all had our cubes out and hearing Chris talk about cubes kinda inspired me to pick up some cubes that night and I got hooked. Thanks to Andrew for inviting us to dinner, and thanks to Chris for the inspiration!

Last edited:

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thank you JemFish and supercavitation!

My notes and memorisation system absolutely won't benefit 95% of cubers, only people who really want to learn 200-300+ algs. It's alot of explaining and parts of it sound pretty insane, and I'd probably be willing to explain to someone in person or skype, but I really don't feel like typing it out.

If someone's really really serious about learning ZBLL, I could probably share it with them.
I'm just uncertain about sharing because when I polled several people about their ZBLL methods, I didn't seem to get a good answer about their secret techniques, so it makes me feel less amicable about sharing my secrets.

WCA
2014BLOC01

My notes and memorisation system absolutely won't benefit 95% of cubers, only people who really want to learn 200-300+ algs. It's alot of explaining and parts of it sound pretty insane, and I'd probably be willing to explain to someone in person or skype, but I really don't feel like typing it out.

If someone's really really serious about learning ZBLL, I could probably share it with them.
I'm just uncertain about sharing because when I polled several people about their ZBLL methods, I didn't seem to get a good answer about their secret techniques, so it makes me feel less amicable about sharing my secrets.

I would definitely want to learn full ZBLL, or some other extremely large alg set, but I don't have a system developed for doing so. I would certainly be interested if you're willing to explain the system on Skype, or some other similar way.

WCA
2007ESPI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wow 4chan! It's great to see you back! For the record you still inspire me. Keep up that ZB. For a while you were the only person I met who knew full-ZB and I remember you talking about anti-ZB with that other guy who memo'd those algs. Crazy stuff, I'm hardly on here myself glad when I came back this is what I found.

waffle=ijm

Waffo
WCA
2008MANA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Crazy stuff. Looking forward to you getting even faster from here. Recognition can only get better from here. Speaking of which, are you trying any recognition techniques other than brute forcing it?

Bindedsa

WCA
2014NURU01
YouTube
Visit Channel

I hope you don't think I was being secretive, I honestly learned ZBLL the same way I learned PLL, it just took longer. No tricks, just standard alg memo and recognition. Not pressuring you to share anything, but I would be interested.

WCA
2014BLOC01
I hope you don't think I was being secretive, I honestly learned ZBLL the same way I learned PLL, it just took longer. No tricks, just standard alg memo and recognition. Not pressuring you to share anything, but I would be interested.

How did you split up the cases (size of the various sets, ordering...)?

Bindedsa

WCA
2014NURU01
YouTube
Visit Channel
How did you split up the cases (size of the various sets, ordering...)?

In terms of sets I just split them up by each OLL then COLL subset. I finished 2GLL first, then Diag CP cases after which I just picked a random case that I noticed in a solve or realized it would be easy to recognize until I got close to finishing the T set. At that point I knew about ~320 case and I started finishing sets in this order: T, U, L, Pi, H S/AS

A Leman

This is cool. I learned ZZLL very quickly and made a post about how I did it. I gave every case a name and associated the name to something important about the beginning or structure of the case. Some examples would be "Biff is a back sune" for R'U'RU'R'U2R2UR'URU2R' "Bacon is good for Lugia(this is a letter pair comm so lugia is what i would call it in BLD)" for x'R2D2R'U2RD2R'U2l' or "Bowfin do F sexy spam" for FRU'R'URUR'URU'R'F' I put all of these in imaginary locations. I also memorized a pair of images in locations to associate the names of the inverses.

This gave a lot of order to the alg set which made it easy to do time attacks of the set. I could either go through them alphabetically or go through the journey of inverse images.

I posted about it here:https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showthread.php?50140-Mnemonic-System-for-Naming-ZZLL-Cases

My recognition has become very good and I don't use the names anymore. I can recognize most cases with just the F and U face. I learned the phasing cases for each f2l and some recognition for them so phasing is also more passive.

That's all of my secret tricks. I have trouble with ZBLL recognition so ZZLL is going to be as far as I will go. The set is smaller, easier to manage and has a higher chance of a skip and 3 cycles.

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel

It's just almost unfathomable to me that you did that with no stringent memo system. My system is 80% tricks/trends/patterns and was a completely different approach than memorizing PLL. I just have a really hard time believing that you did it pure brute force.

When I was asking you about particular patterns, I was hoping you saw the same trends I did. Examples are like how 16+ cases are from one basic alg, but with minute changes (R U2 R' instead of R U R'), and how half an entire 2gen subset can be solved with a basic three R/U move groups but in different order, etc. things like that.

When you didn't share tricks like that, that's why I suspected it. Apologies, sir.

:D

It's great to see you back!

Wow 4chan! It's great to see you back!

It is somewhat nostalgic to see all of these people in one thread. What is this, 2009?

Crazy stuff. Looking forward to you getting even faster from here. Recognition can only get better from here. Speaking of which, are you trying any recognition techniques other than brute forcing it?

OMG NOSTALGIA! Hahaha, it's nice to be back! 2009/2010 were my favourite years. You guys are awesome!
Phillip, your running stuff is pretty inspirational! You're looking great!

I'm trying a new recognition technique, but it's still in the works. So far, brute force is working really well with some cases, it's almost instinctual.

This is cool. I learned ZZLL very quickly and made a post about how I did it.

I saw in some other thread you learned ZZLL in like roughly a month! Are you coming to US Nationals this year? I'd really enjoy seeing your ZZLL in person!

And to everyone who's curious about all my tricks, I can totally skype you if you're really curious, but it'll take like 30-60+ minutes to go over all of my tricks and my general system, and the system also works only if you use my recognition style. Which is looking at the COLL case, and then edge permutation. So when I see a case, I'll see a T case with opposite colours and an H perm, and then recall the alg and execute it.

If you're coming to nationals, I can totally share my secrets, because it's a pain to type it all out and explain without pictures!

But here's a basic explanation: There are certain trends to each alg that moves certain edge pieces. There is also a general trend to subsets, supersets, move sequences, and etc. Certain move sequences don't occur after other move sequences, and by seeing the trends, you can use the basic idea of the trend to solve multiple cases of ZBLL. You don't see these trends with small alg sets like OLL, but with big alg sets like ZBLL you'll start noticing lots of similarities and start to piece them together.

It sounds ridiculous, but there's a little more to it that I can explain in person.

Last edited:

Forte

WCA
2009SHIN02
YouTube
Visit Channel
CHRIS TRAN
For the record, you are absolutely awesome at life. Every time you post a picture of something cool that you do, like making an ALUMINIUM SWORD or a VIOLIN or a BICYCLE, or pictures of DELICIOUS FOOD, I always freak out and show the people around me. My friend even said the other day "we should do something cool this week, like TRAN does" (he thought that was your first name LOL).
So yeah! :D

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Aaaaaah, I'm SO honoured, thank you so much Forte!!!!!
I feel great hearing that, thank you thank you! :D :D

EDITED Original post, this is all thanks to Chris Hardwick for getting me back into speedcubing.
He deserves some credit!

Last edited: