• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Humidity Control to preserve cube hardware

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
As someone who has lived in a tropical area before, I know that this is absolutely essential to protect the things you love and cherish.
Yes the usefulness of this product wholly depends on the place where you live. If you live in say USA or Russia interior parts, then using a dry cabinet will be super unnecessary.

Reactions: qwr

Christopher Mowla

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is 65% humidity a lot?
If it's 60% or above, that starts to become the environment for mold/fungus to start to multiply = bad for your health. If the relative humidity in your home is 65%, that's definitely a lot . . . enough that you need to take action to change (see the second half of this post). An air condition that is in good condition should keep your humidity at 50%.

The humidity is going to be higher than 50% when you neither run the air condition nor the heater long enough . . . which can easily happen during the times of the year when the temperature is actually enjoyable and/or when you have your windows opened to let in fresh air.

If you live in say USA or Russia interior parts, then using a dry cabinet will be super unnecessary.
That makes sense. In Southeast Louisiana, USA, the average relative humidity is 72%, but it's almost always > 80% in the morning and often >90% at night down here!

I think it would be best for the folks who, despite having a good air conditioning system, have a humidity > 50% in their home should really think about investing in a electronic dehumidifier for their home (if they don't to instead decide to kick the AC down a few notches in the summer and the heater up a few notches in the winter to at least keep the humidity in the 50s or lower).

Electronic dehumidifiers pull up to 50 liters of water from the air in one 24 hour day. Having a dry cabinet in your shed/garage makes sense because they are (well, for most people) are technically outdoors, but if your home is that humid, again, it's a major threat to your long-term lung (and overall physical) health. For example, ever since I got my dehimidier, my annual allergies have been completely absent this year! And, although I am an overall health freak, I found it to be much easier to not get sick this year.

And if anyone is actually considering to buy an electric dehumidifier after reading this post, note that it running will add about $30 to your electric bill each month, as it's technically a mini refrigeration unit. And please put some type of soap (I personally use a piece of dove soap that I cut off with a knife) into the tray that fills up with water, so that slime and smell don't become a problem . . . within like 8-10 days. Because, just like how your air conditioning drain line will occasionally get clogged (from slime), that same slime will accumulate in your dehumidifier water tray if you don't put something (like dove bar soap) in the tray to stop the "mucus" from growing and/or thoroughly wash the tray once a week.

It is very important to keep your dehumdifier tray clean, because the fan literally pushes the smell into the air you breath. So having something like dove soap in there (which, besides smelling good will also keep microorganisms from multiplying as they normally would, both in the tray but also indirectly in the air in the area that the dehumidifier is in) makes the dehumidifer function as an air freshener instead of an "air polluter".

White KB

Premium Member
WCA
2019BRUC01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
If it's 60% or above, that starts to become the environment for mold/fungus to start to multiply = bad for your health. If the relative humidity in your home is 65%, that's definitely a lot . . . enough that you need to take action to change (see the second half of this post). An air condition that is in good condition should keep your humidity at 50%.

The humidity is going to be higher than 50% when you neither run the air condition nor the heater long enough . . . which can easily happen during the times of the year when the temperature is actually enjoyable and/or when you have your windows opened to let in fresh air.

That makes sense. In Southeast Louisiana, USA, the average relative humidity is 72%, but it's almost always > 80% in the morning and often >90% at night down here!

I think it would be best for the folks who, despite having a good air conditioning system, have a humidity > 50% in their home should really think about investing in a electronic dehumidifier for their home (if they don't to instead decide to kick the AC down a few notches in the summer and the heater up a few notches in the winter to at least keep the humidity in the 50s or lower).

Electronic dehumidifiers pull up to 50 liters of water from the air in one 24 hour day. Having a dry cabinet in your shed/garage makes sense because they are (well, for most people) are technically outdoors, but if your home is that humid, again, it's a major threat to your long-term lung (and overall physical) health. For example, ever since I got my dehimidier, my annual allergies have been completely absent this year! And, although I am an overall health freak, I found it to be much easier to not get sick this year.

And if anyone is actually considering to buy an electric dehumidifier after reading this post, note that it running will add about $30 to your electric bill each month, as it's technically a mini refrigeration unit. And please put some type of soap (I personally use a piece of dove soap that I cut off with a knife) into the tray that fills up with water, so that slime and smell don't become a problem . . . within like 8-10 days. Because, just like how your air conditioning drain line will occasionally get clogged (from slime), that same slime will accumulate in your dehumidifier water tray if you don't put something (like dove bar soap) in the tray to stop the "mucus" from growing and/or thoroughly wash the tray once a week.

It is very important to keep your dehumdifier tray clean, because the fan literally pushes the smell into the air you breath. So having something like dove soap in there (which, besides smelling good will also keep microorganisms from multiplying as they normally would, both in the tray but also indirectly in the air in the area that the dehumidifier is in) makes the dehumidifer function as an air freshener instead of an "air polluter".
That provides a lot of helpful information! I can tell you put a lot of effort into that post. You get a round of applause.

Christopher Mowla

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
That provides a lot of helpful information! I can tell you put a lot of effort into that post. You get a round of applause.
Thanks! But I did make one mistake. The best electronic dehumidifiers have a 50 pint (not liter) capacity. Sorry about that. (But I guess this would be easy to figure out if someone looks to buy one.)