• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How to type semi-proper english on a forum in a nutshell

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
Oh and when you say something like "english words", english doesn't take a capital letter because it's used as an adjective.

Wrong.

I haven't bothered to read through the entire thread, but I've seen enough to be able to say this thread is full of fail.

JLarsen

Premium Member
WCA
2009LARS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm on page 4, and I'm just going to say that we're all haters.

I just read the whole thing to page 9, and I must say I hate Poke and Samlambert. Grammar wars: omg omg omg you mispelled THIS! YOU'RE SO DUMB! NO YOU'RE SO DUMB. That's what this whole thing looks like to me. Oh and if I mispelled something on here, **** you.

blah

brah
Ah, an example where British English is better. This is good to know. (I still think it is wrong to use spellings like colour or centre, though.)

Better as in more systematic?

Out of curiosity, and since no one bothered to ask, why do you think it's wrong?

Poke

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm on page 4, and I'm just going to say that we're all haters.

I just read the whole thing to page 9, and I must say I hate Poke and Samlambert. Grammar wars: omg omg omg you mispelled THIS! YOU'RE SO DUMB! NO YOU'RE SO DUMB. That's what this whole thing looks like to me. Oh and if I mispelled something on here, **** you.

I thought we were joking... it's something to do at 1 AM when I get bored.

JL58

Thanks to somerandomkidmike. You made me laugh.

English is not my first language, yet I am trying my best to deal with it in a respectful way. I receive daily emails in SMS style from English native people. It used to offend me: why should I put so much energy in trying to be integrated when indigenous think they can be forgiven?

This is a very international forum - one of the things I like about it. As much as I respect Dene's perfectionist approach to the language (Dene, I do appreciate your style every now and then :) the main purpose of this forum is informational, not linguistic, grammatical or punctuationist. I really enjoy reading people from the other sides of the world sharing their points of view on subjects that matter to me - regardless of their origin, language skills or international exposure. I am already amazed by the amount of people who demonstrate a half-decent English writing skill when coming from countries like Korea or Japan , where the syntax and character set is as removed from mine as I am from anti-matter...

You might wonder about those who have the correct skills/background and decided not to use it. As offensive as I can find it, I would put it back in contact: does it matter? Should I immediately dismiss her/his opinion because of poor language usage? Is the world moving towards a simpler form of expression?

And for those of you who still wonder: the reason English is the 3rd spoken language on the planet is only because they are so many dialects in India. Would you prefer this forum to be in Chinese, Spanish?

Thanks to all of you trying so hard to participate with your polycultural attempts. Thanks to all of us.

Last edited:

jcuber

WCA
2009LEVI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My elementary school taught me to type, and the librarian who taught us was REALLY old. That explains that now. I will no longer use two spaces after a sentence, even though none of you will ever be able to tell.