• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How to remove center caps from rubik's brand 3x3x3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave

I received a rubik's brand cube as a gift recently, though I already have a DIY A cube. The rubik's brand cube is quite stiff and I would like to adjust the tension. However, I can't seem to get the center caps off. Are they removable? Will this cube ever be as smooth as my DIY?

blah

brah
I presume it's not a DIY. So you can't adjust the tension in the first place, there aren't any visible/accessible screws there even if you do get the center caps off. So if you're thinking about adjusting the tension, forget it. You can't. The only way is to keep playing with it and hope that it loosens up with time.

But if you still want to open the center caps for whatever reason you may have, use a chisel, or a penknife. I personally use the latter, it's quite easy. Just somehow get the blade between the center cap and the "center piece"(?), and try to chip it off with all your strength :p No, seriously. Just make sure your blade is strong enough, or it may snap off and shoot right into your eye even before the center cap gets chiseled off, and it's not gonna be pretty. Yep.

PCwizCube

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
If it's a Rubik's Brand STOREBOUGHT cube, removing the center caps won't do you any good. There are no screws, but rivets, which are like nails, and cannot be adjusted.

However, it's possible to remove the center caps, but it's not designed to. There really isn't any point in doing so.

dave

If it's a Rubik's Brand STOREBOUGHT cube, removing the center caps won't do you any good. There are no screws, but rivets, which are like nails, and cannot be adjusted.

However, it's possible to remove the center caps, but it's not designed to. There really isn't any point in doing so.

Thanks guys. The cube in question store bought and it looks just like the one in your avatar and includes the same stand. I don't want to risk damaging it so I guess I'll just keep as is. I take it will never be as smooth as my DIY?

Vulosity

YouTube
Visit Channel
I heard that you drill a whole down the center of the center cap. Place a screw/spring/washer combo in there. I know that this will leave a whole in the center but that's how you "mod" it. I think PestVic has a vid on it.

mrbiggs

Storebought cubes can become great---but it takes a LOT of breaking in.

I've had mine for 7-8 months, the first five of which it was my only cube, and it's nearly as good as a DIY.

ImNOTnoob

Here's how to remove the center caps:
Just take a penknife and lightly cut slits along the lines between the center caps and the center cubes.
Then cut a slit along the corners of the caps.
If you do it correctly, the center caps should 'pop' out =)

Status
Not open for further replies.