• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How to recognize pairs for slots quickly....

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
I have the 41 down, but often a pair may be already inserted into a wrong slot, and you have to put them out, then re-insert. I need more practice for sure, just curious if there is a technique to it.

Richard

I'm not quite sure either...but i think that you first just want to work with the edges that aren't in the wrong positions...lol, don't really know what the correct lingo on that is, but i'm sure you know what i mean. When you insert the edges down it will bring the bad edges up anyway, then you can use those. So i don't think that you should really ever have to bring an edge up before you can solve, just work with what you have and that will open new opportunities.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
I have been practicing more with these, and can do my f2l in about 30-35 seconds average, but sometimes only 20-25 seconds. And my cross or second layer or no where near being mastered. Practice is definitely the key.

krnballerzzz

WCA
2006KANG01
Here is an obvious trick. After you located a pair, you should not have to look at it again because you will know exactly what to do. While you are doing the alg to put the slot in, look for the next pair.
Also, you can slow the cross down just a bit so you can get a better look at the first pair. Try not to go to fast on f2l, because the speed is useless if you can't see the next pair while you are solving one.