• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How to Read PLL Diagrams?

Sphearow

Sorry if this has been posted before but I am in a bit of a hurry. I've been cubing for about 2 weeks now, average 1min 20 secs, learned 2 look OLL/PLL, F2L and I'm trying to learn full PLL. The problem is, for some of the PLLs, especially the G perms and A(b) perm, I don't understand the diagrams? And what I mean by that is what do the arrows mean? What are they pointing to? It's really confusing seeing all these arrows pointing from one place to another and even more confusing if my cube isn't oriented right.

Thanks for any help.

The arrow points to where the piece goes. The arrow starts on an edge piece and points to the opposite of it. In the pll, the edge will end up to the opposite of it. As an example <----

Sphearow

That's the thing, I read the arrows, I look at the colours on the cube and I follow what the arrows are doing and it confuses me... and I don't get what you mean by "the arrows point to where the corner/edge is suppose to go" I go through every algorithm for the PLLs for the cases I'm stuck on (just to make sure I have the right diagram for the case) and, for example, I see it pointing a blue/orange corner piece above a red 2 layer.

erikoui

YouTube
Visit Channel
G-perms do not need arrows. Learn the relationship between headlights and 1x1x2 block. Example: :)_ :' :, :- )
For A perms,the 2x2x1 block and headlights is the way you recognise.(headlights back and block left, or headlights back and block right)
Hope this helps.

Brest

Staff member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Here is some advice for Gperms.

This is a little diagram I made for people who have trouble recognizing which G permutation to use:

gperm-1.png

Permutation pictures are from the speedsolving wiki

Also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSmCZL0mVcw

Sphearow

Thanks for the replies, but I think I understand now, just experiment and study badmephisto's video on PLLs. Btw, badmephisto got me into cubing so I've naturally watched most of his videos esp. ones that help with speed cubing. In other words, I've watched his "Recognising the PLLs" numerous times already.

Sphearow

How long took it you to learn the full PLL?

I haven't learned it yet, I'm doing that now. So far, I've got the 7 from 2-look PLL, the T perm and now working on the G perms because they pop out a lot for me.

Zarxrax

G perms look like a big mess of arrows, but they are really just a combination of U perms (edges) and A perms (corners).
But yea, the arrows are mostly useless for actual recognition.

Sphearow

Yeh thanks guys, I figured it out x3. However, the arrows did help me not recognise, but told me how to hold the cube the right way hehe.

Last edited:

cubernya

Premium Member
Hmm...didn't realise that everybody recognised G perms by headlights in relation to the block. I always just put the block on the right and look at the color next to the block (on the corner)

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
What do the "x", "y" and "z" mean in the algorithmes?

x = rotate the full cube in the same direction as R (x follows R)
y follows U
z follows F

Hmm...didn't realise that everybody recognised G perms by headlights in relation to the block. I always just put the block on the right and look at the color next to the block (on the corner)

I look at the color of the center next to the corner of the block :)