• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How to get off the glue

sz35

WCA
2010zivs01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm replacing my 5x5 stickers right now and I don't know how to take the glue off. I tried rubbing alcohol on some other cubes but after that the cube stops moving as smooth and starts locking up until I disassemble it and wash it.
SO, should I do it with alcohol again and wash the cube or is there a better way?
Thanks/

Samania

Lick it off.

You could try using a knife to scrape it off and I've heard good things about goo gone.

splinteh

YouTube
Visit Channel
I use peanut butter. Yes, you heard me, peanut butter. Take some out of the jar and rub over your cube (All 6 sides) with some sort of towel or cloth. Just make sure it doesn't get into the core and screws. When you're done, disassemble the cube and give it a wash. Then Re-lube and Re-sticker. You're set to go!

DcF1337

Ice cream works really well. Don't use Ben and Jerry's, they're too chunky. Use Haagen Dazs instead. It's works well as lube too.

Seriously though, any organic solvent would work fine. Alcohol, oils, even silicon spray. I use lighter fluid and it leaves the cube smooth with just a few wipes.

Akuma

WCA
2010COST01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Get yourself one of these:
Scrape%20Rite%20blade.jpg

They are available on CubeSmith for like a dollar.
You can easily scrape of fthe residue/glue with that plastic razor thingie without damaging the cube.
Don't use a knife though, I did tthat once and it ruined the knife completely.

chavak

I did this once, the result was wonderful, ->

Disassemble the cube

Soak in Petrol

After 5 ~ 10 minutes used a brush to clean the surface

After cleaning changed the petrol and repeated it.

Dry it and use a soft sand paper to rub off slightly.

Assemble back and put new stickers on.

When I tried the cube before applying lube, the cube was so smooth, I decided not to lube. After a month it is still good.

Regards
______